Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-25-2019, 08:28 AM

Default Groaning and Sticking 149 Hydro

Hi, all.

I suspect a problem with the transmission in my 149. Here are the symptoms...

1. Groaning sound especially audible after turning off. A fellow forum member (Userj8670) had posted a video some time back that is EXACTLY what I'm hearing.

2. Lots of resistance in the Speed Control Lever (both directions).

3. Speed Control Lever does not fully return to neutral when break is depressed.

Prior to all of this, I made the mistake of pushing the tractor 3 feet back and 3 feet forward (to address another issue) WITHOUT engaging the release lever. (I know-- I'm really quite new to this!)

Not sure if it is significant diagnostically, but I think I may have intermittently achieved some elimination of the sound when applying pressure (or otherwise jiggling) various parts of the cam assembly.

So I have a few initial questions:

1. Am I risking doing more damage by using the tractor in its current state (temporarily)?

2. Are there any "quick fixes" worth trying? (I'm imagining some variation of "reversing" the rolling back-and-forth thing that may have introduced the problem in the first place, if such a thing is possible.)

3. Is there a particular sequence of steps I should take to diagnose and possibly correct the problem?
Background on me: I am NOT very experienced in mechanical repairs (and so some procedures and lingo may get lost on me), but I am game for taking on projects and repairs. I have always opted for old, well-made things and will put the time into figuring things out to repair and restore them (rather than buying new crap that has to get tossed).

My "shop" is woefully under-equipped-- No jack, no pneumatic tools, no electricity in fact-- you get the picture. I have no pickup truck or trailer to get this thing to a mechanic. I live in Ithaca, NY and have about an acre to mow. So while it's not life-or-death to have this working, it has been really helpful to have. Plus, I really love this machine and want to take good care of it.
I would be grateful for any advice (and/or words of encouragement) from you folks, and hope some day to be in a position to offer help to others. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Grand Member

Try adjusting your neutral as per the free downloadable service manual here on OCC.
Also check for sloppy/worn linkages.
Has the oil/filter been changed in a while or ever?
just some easy things off the top of my head
Old 05-25-2019, 10:58 AM

Thanks, Ol' George. I will give this a try. I may not be able to determine how sloppy is too sloppy (not having any good reference points in my experience), but this may become more clear as I tinker around in there.

As for the fluids, the transmission oil and filter was changed last summer, and has probably had no more than 25 hours since then. Fluid and filter will also be on my list of things to do.

Still wondering if Im risking further damage by driving the thing while I try to figure out this problem.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:16 AM

Default Video of the groaning sound...

There was another thread where the author posted a video of the sound his system was making, which is EXACTLY the sound I'm hearing. In the meantime, I'll start with the guidance already provided.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Grand Member

Sounds to me like the linkage needs to be adjusted.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Grand Member

Some groaning and whining is normal with hydrostats, groaning is just whining at low speed.

If she runs OK, run 'er. Cut your grass, etc. Use the speed lever to get to neutral if you have to.

The neutral adjust procedure requires a pair of jack stands and a floor jack to get the rear wheels off the ground while you make the adjustment. Sounds like you might have a problem pulling that off.

What you are hearing is the hydro working while cranking or shutting down because it is not "in neutral."

Try this. Start it up, move the speed control slightly so it does not roll on level ground. Let it sit a minute at full throttle in what you've found to be neutral with the speed control lever. Now without touching the brake pedal or anything else, turn the ignition off.

Next, without touching the brake pedal or the speed lever, try to start it. It should not groan. You are still in neutral. Just not neutral via the brake, but neutral via the speed control.

The brake pedal attempts to center the speed control, but due to wear in the linkage it does not get it done accurately. The neutral adjust procedure fixes that. But plenty of tractors get used every day slightly out of neutral adjustment with no harm done.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:22 PM
Grand Member

Matt,

Put an oil pan under the rear plate of the tractor in the back, just under the hitch. Take the plug out of the back panel of your tractor while on a level surface. See if any transmission fluid leaks out, if none leaks out, then get a funnel and slowly pour a little in at a time, pulling the funnel out intermittently until the fluid flows out. Then, quickly replace the plug and securely tighten it up. Aside from the adjustments that other members have already mentioned, you could also check fluid levels.

Cub Cadet 123
Old 05-26-2019, 02:48 PM

Thanks all for the good advice. Tomorrow's the day that I'll try putting it to good use. Even just thinking through the approaches you've suggested and reviewing the relevant sections of the service manual has helped me gain a better understanding of the machine and more confidence in working on it. So thanks for that as well. I'll be sure to post my results.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:15 PM

If you remove driveshaft cover from between your legs, four small bolts, you can see all the linkage for the brake, and hydro. Make sure plastic bushing is in p!ace in the hydro linkage pivot. If you look close where the linkage is mounted to the hydro case you will see that the plate is slotted so you can adjust for true neutral. This is where you will need Jack and jackstand because you adjust this with engine running and clutch pedal locked down. Loosen the two 3/8 bolts just enough to move the linkage with a hammer and punch till wheels do not move hope this helps and not confuse you more.......Good luck!

Tags
149, hydrostatic, noise, transmission