Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Grand Member

Default Economical Paint Supplier?

I know that there is a paint reference in the library of this forum, so reference numbers isn't part of my post. What I was wondering is where the most economical place is to purchase quality paint for my older '60s model cubs. My local IH dealer has some that has sat on the shelf for probably more than 10 years at about $33/quart or a spray can for $15/can and I just think that is a little too much. Thought I might save myself some leg work and ask for suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time.

Cub Cadet 123
Old 02-09-2010, 11:06 AM

are the older ones suppose to be a different color then like my 1200 which is a 1974 model...i bought all my paint from Tractor Supply....numbers on the can are 5339-25 for the yellow and 5339-15 for the white....5 bucks a can
Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Grand Member

Dieseldog,

The cub yellow didn't change for many years...not for sure exactly when but they have went through 4 different yellows (maybe 5 now), but for the longest time they stuck with the same. My spray can for the original yellow from the 60's is numbered 759-3258. I have purchased that paint from TSC before and tried it out, it is not the same yellow.......but it did match perfectly with my 2008 Zero Turn! It has a lot more orange in it than the traditional yellow. I wish that it matched because I wouldn't mind paying $5/can.

Cub Cadet 123
Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM

cub cadet 123,i'm not sure either,i have some pics posted on my 1200 project you can see,not sure if it will help...but i know tsc does carry 2 or 3 diff cub yellows and i used the 5339-25...i thought that number does replace the 759-3258
Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM

TSC paints are not quite the correct colors. If you want correct colors, get it from a dealer or get some auto paint mixed.

There is only ONE shade of yellow used until MTD production. 483 and 483B are the same, one has a rust inhibitor.

My thoughts on paint:

Rattle cans are more expensive in the long run. If you have an air compressor and a paint gun, you can come out far ahead of using rattle cans and have a nicer finish. Rattle can paint doesn't have hardener, so it is easier to scratch and far less gas/oil resistant. Case in point: My friend painted his truck with spray cans...it took him about 250 total for primer and paint, and the paint didn't even last one year. I have also yet to see rattle can paint that dries nice and glossy. I know Valspar paint does not. (Valspar makes the paint for Farm & Fleet and TSC IIRC)

Paint quality and price are directly related....cheap paint sucks and expensive paint is awesome. The more expensive paints have more pigment in them, so you'll use less. Those that were here when I was restoring my 100 may remember that I used nearly 2 quarts of yellow to get sufficient coverage. That's a lot of spray cans. Yellow covers like crap, too, presenting another problem for painting a CC.

I used PPG Shop Line paint on my 100 in the correct colors. It was about $25/quart, plus a bit more for primer, hardener, and reducer. I probably spent $150 in total, but it was well worth it. Yeah, that sounds expensive, but I feel that if you're going to restore a tractor, you might as well do it right the first time. The paint is good and looks far better than any rattle can job. That 100 was well-liked at RPRU this past summer.

Moral of the story: You get what you pay for. Rattle can paint will look nice initially if you do your prep work, but don't expect it to last very long, as it will fade quickly without hardener. Items painted with a gun will also fade if hardener isn't used. And take 6 months to dry...ask me how I know that...

I'm not saying to go out and buy $100/quart PPG Delstar, but keep in mind that paint that's cheap initially isn't so cheap when the tractor looks like crap again in 5 years and you've got to start all over.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 076_finish.jpg (84.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM

i dont know where you got your Valspar paint at but mine is excellent on glossy and dry.....plus it has alot to do with if you know how to use rattle can paint or not.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 PM

All of the Valspar paint is the same stuff, regardless of whether it came from TSC or F&F, etc...the labels might be different, but that's it. I have done a fair amount of painting...one tractor, several Brinly plows, a mower deck, and countless other little things. When I made the brake pedals for my 782, I primed and painted them with Valspar paint. All parts were clean, bare metal. The paint looked nice and shiny after drying for a few days. A year later, it has no shine at all.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM

i guess i will have to wait a year and see how mine looks i guess,but i will never put that much money into automotive paint for a cub unless i park it in my living room and never plan on using it
Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Valspar rattle can is no different than any other rattle can paint....do alittle research and you'll find its got no UV protection at all...whice ofcourse equals faded dull paint in a short period of time...I use ppg shopline (omni) basecoat/clearcoat on my cubs....it kills me when someone pays 200-300 bucks to sandblast thier cub or spends 40 man hours themselves taking the old paint off just to put 30 dollar oil based alkyd paint or lacquer based rattle can on.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for...if valspar or any other rattle can worked....the auto industry would be covering vehicles in krylon. I understand not everyone has the equipment or understanding to shoot urethane acrylics,
but anything else just comes up short.....and faded..

Metalrain
Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Grand Member

I'm not debating rattle can vs. quart.....not @ all what this thread was created for. I just wondered if some other place (ie. Sherwin Williams, etc. ) that could mix up the paint less expensive than $35/quart and without the paint setting on the shelf for 10 years. Note....that is why I used the word Economical....not Cheap!!! Suggestions?????

Small parts, like the front axle bolts or washers on the cub can be easily sprayed with a rattle can if a person doesn't want to take the time to clean his spray gun, etc... Those can be easily removed and touched up as needed, but the main tractor would look best if painted with the spray gun. Unless it's a JD, then the rattle can might be too nice!!!:biggrin2.gif:

Cub Cadet 123