Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > The Tool Shed

Notices

Old 09-04-2015, 12:39 AM
Grand Member

nice garage man! what are you using for heat? looks like an air handler (electric furnace), ... Air Conditioning!?!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue11 View Post
nice garage man! what are you using for heat? looks like an air handler (electric furnace), ... Air Conditioning!?!
I'm thinking that's a heat pump. If your gonna cool it, it doesn't cost much more for a heat pump.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Grand Member

Right, just for simplicity i put a/c. However there are a few straight cool with electric backup in this country.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Grand Member

Thanks for all the compliments, guys. I used epoxy on the floor, mostly to avoid staining and make it easy to sweep. Took nearly 5 gallons to do the whole floor. Just bought the Rustoleum garage floor kits, but I did not use the flakes they supplied with the kit.

The HVAC is a heat pump. I had the heat pump in the upstairs of the house upgraded last year from a 1-1/2 ton to a 2 ton because the 1-1/2 ton was undersized. So I saved the heat pump they pulled out (it was only 5 years old) and I'm re-purposing it here. The building first floor is well insulated with 2x6 wall studs (R23) and R38 between the ceiling joists. Roll up doors are R18. The only thing I need to do is upgrade the strip heaters in the air handler from 5kw to 8kw (that's the max for this unit, otherwise I'd go 10kw). I decided to install the heatpump in this fashion to be sure any duct losses were inside the conditioned space, rather than having the air handler upstairs and then dealing with ductwork that just loses energy to the unfinished space.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

I wouldn't worry about the electric heaters. I would also disable them until you hit the balance point where the heat pump can't keep up. I keep my garage around 55 in the dead of winter and my strip heat is disabled. I'm running a 3 ton unit for 1800 sf but I'm pretty sure Georgia is warmer in the winter then VA so you may need more. I love my epoxy floor so far and it has held up well in the 7 years it has been down. You will also find that it helps with the lighting also.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
I wouldn't worry about the electric heaters. I would also disable them until you hit the balance point where the heat pump can't keep up. I keep my garage around 55 in the dead of winter and my strip heat is disabled. I'm running a 3 ton unit for 1800 sf but I'm pretty sure Georgia is warmer in the winter then VA so you may need more. I love my epoxy floor so far and it has held up well in the 7 years it has been down. You will also find that it helps with the lighting also.
I agree, i use the honeywell vision pro 8000 to accomplish this. It lets you lock the heat pump out at whatever temp you decide. Also allows staging of the strips, in your case with 5k, would only be one stage. Neat part of that stat is for a few extra bucks you can get one with wifi that allows you to control it from anywhere with your smart phone.

In nebraska the power company recomends running your out door unit down to 15° but i let mine run down to 5°. Our heating load is quite different from yall in the southern parts

Hey oak, what brand of equipment do you sell?

Sorry for going off, im on my day job kick
Old 09-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Grand Member

I did get a Honeywell wifi thermostat for this new building. We'll see how it works out. The thing I don't like is you can't assign it a static IP address, so you must go to their website to access it rather than directly using port forwarding from the primary router. I have static IP at the house for the main router, so I can access my surveillance DVR and IP cameras easily.

I feel like I need the 8kw to be able to bring the temp up from 50 or 55 to about 65 in a few minutes when I am using the shop. I think the 8kw will be staged 4/8kw. It is colder here than in GA, for sure, but nothing like NE. Egad..5 degrees. It almost never gets that cold here.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
I did get a Honeywell wifi thermostat for this new building. We'll see how it works out. The thing I don't like is you can't assign it a static IP address, so you must go to their website to access it rather than directly using port forwarding from the primary router. I have static IP at the house for the main router, so I can access my surveillance DVR and IP cameras easily.

I feel like I need the 8kw to be able to bring the temp up from 50 or 55 to about 65 in a few minutes when I am using the shop. I think the 8kw will be staged 4/8kw. It is colder here than in GA, for sure, but nothing like NE. Egad..5 degrees. It almost never gets that cold here.

All I can say to that is, be glad they have something like that even. The HVAC world is very progressive in alot of areas, but not so much in the software side. THANK GOD, I have to stop and think sometimes with the new communicating stats. HVAC dudes make it hot and cold, most of the old timers don't even like programmable thermostat. Start talking IP addresses and all that computer stuff...probably not going to work out very well.

There are computer boards in equipment, but they are very easy to diagnose, power in but no power out? Check the connections and pitch it!

Wifi is good, mostly used for smart phones, open the app and go. 8k would be good, especially if its staged. I am a big fan of staging, you have better control over your heating and cooling system. Lets the equipment operate at a lower rate for a longer time frame which results in lower energy consumption, greater comfort-ability, and reduced component fatigue from the decreased start and stop cycles. All while having the added capacity to take care of the extreme highs and lows.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue11 View Post
All I can say to that is, be glad they have something like that even. The HVAC world is very progressive in alot of areas, but not so much in the software side. THANK GOD, I have to stop and think sometimes with the new communicating stats. HVAC dudes make it hot and cold, most of the old timers don't even like programmable thermostat. Start talking IP addresses and all that computer stuff...probably not going to work out very well.

There are computer boards in equipment, but they are very easy to diagnose, power in but no power out? Check the connections and pitch it!

Wifi is good, mostly used for smart phones, open the app and go. 8k would be good, especially if its staged. I am a big fan of staging, you have better control over your heating and cooling system. Lets the equipment operate at a lower rate for a longer time frame which results in lower energy consumption, greater comfort-ability, and reduced component fatigue from the decreased start and stop cycles. All while having the added capacity to take care of the extreme highs and lows.
Tonto taught me that while watching the Lone Ranger in the 50's
"White man build big fire set far away, Indian build small fire, sit close"
Old 09-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
Tonto taught me that while watching the Lone Ranger in the 50's
"White man build big fire set far away, Indian build small fire, sit close"
That's funny.