Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > The Tool Shed

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Grand Member

Got the mill moved into its new spot, hooked up the DRO, task light, and the auto feed. Got the motor wiring sorted out, waiting on the VFD to get it running.

Squared the quill to the table with a try square, need an R8 collet to set up the dial test indicator to tram it in properly. Collets, end mills, new drawbar, clamping set, boring head, end mill holders, shell mills, face mills, insert tooling, fly cutter assy., etc all "in the mail." Actually, have the fly cutter and test indicator but no way to mount it yet.

Meanwhile, disassembled the "free" vise and removed all the metal shavings that packed the screw and kept the vise from opening more than a few inches. Cleaned it up, oiled it and put it back together. Not much to look at, but seems like it will work for a while, at least. Lapped some minor burrs off the jaws.

I'm now thinking I might try boring an engine with it. Need a scrap block to practice on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180312_150713 (2).jpg (25.6 KB, 84 views)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Grand Member

If you bore a block, bring the knee up not the quill down, it's more accurate.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Grand Member

Congrats on your mill. Hope it works out well for you. Spindle speeds are the same as a Bridgeport. The VFD will "remove the hole" ( or gap ) between high and low range.

Are you familiar with tramming the head in? I have a write up on another forum I could copy if you would like.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Pa View Post
Congrats on your mill. Hope it works out well for you. Spindle speeds are the same as a Bridgeport. The VFD will "remove the hole" ( or gap ) between high and low range.

Are you familiar with tramming the head in? I have a write up on another forum I could copy if you would like.

Jeff
I just came in from the shop and saw your post. As a matter of fact, just spent the last hour tramming the headstock to the table. Got it within .002" or maybe a little better over 10 inches. We had rotated the headstock for transport so it was completely out of whack. Adjusted nod first, then tilt. Came right in. I'll look at it again with a different indicator and see if I can get it a bit closer, but I can't imagine I'd ever need anything better than that.

Put the indicator on the vise and the top of the jaw pads are perpendicular to the quill within .001" (.02 mm) when the table is moved left and right. Much of it was within .0005"/.01mm Have not checked the inside surfaces of the jaw pads yet but they look pretty nice.

The test indicator is actually in .01 mm divisions, so each division is a bit less than half a thousandth if my math is correct. (2540 divisions per inch). I'm calling it a half thousandth, close enough for me.

Some end mill holders and an R8 collet rack showed up in the mail. No VFD yet, Amazon said it was to be delivered today, but I'm rural, so UPS is usually a day late here. Can't wait to get it running.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:44 PM
Grand Member

Got the VFD hooked up, jury rigged a DPDT toggle switch for the time being. Will swap it out with a proper switch once I order one.

It's actually pretty neat that it controls speed by varying frequency to the motor, running the 3 ph motor on 220VAC single/split phase.

Here's a short video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjkWge5BEkU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180313_204305.jpg (25.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:57 PM
Grand Member

Your ramp up and down seems pretty slow. I’m sure there are settings to change.
Can you set up a separate forward and reverse switch? Most VFDs can. I definitely would if you could. Would help in power tapping holes. Have fun!

Edit. You should have a big/ easy to hit switch to kill the spindle. (E stop). Just in case.

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans
Old 03-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry C View Post
Your ramp up and down seems pretty slow. I’m sure there are settings to change.
Can you set up a separate forward and reverse switch? Most VFDs can. I definitely would if you could. Would help in power tapping holes. Have fun!

Edit. You should have a big/ easy to hit switch to kill the spindle. (E stop). Just in case.
There are many variables that can be set in the VFD. I'm sure ramp up /down is one of them. There is a reverse button on the VFD to change spindle direction. I've ordered a proper start/stop switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 222545131802_1.jpg (12.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
There are many variables that can be set in the VFD. I'm sure ramp up /down is one of them. There is a reverse button on the VFD to change spindle direction. I've ordered a proper start/stop switch.
I’ve only set up a couple of vfds. On the two I did, I could get accel to my liking, but had to add a breaking resistor to slow down like I wanted. This was on 15hp
models though.
Looks like you got it about handled. Chips are about to fly!

(2)2182s w/60in Habans
Old 03-15-2018, 09:39 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry C View Post
I’ve only set up a couple of vfds. On the two I did, I could get accel to my liking, but had to add a breaking resistor to slow down like I wanted. This was on 15hp
models though.
Looks like you got it about handled. Chips are about to fly!
There are terminals for a braking resistor, though I have not looked into that yet. I'm OK with the extended spin up and slow down speeds at this point. Not really in a hurry yet.

Installed the new on/off switch.

I managed to clean up a piece of mild steel today with one of the nitride coated end mills. Seemed to work great. Tried a carbide insert face mill and not much joy. I understand I need higher speeds and heavier feed for carbide, so I need to step back and look at my setup.

Got an R8 collet set, an R8 drill chuck, an R8 to MT2 adapter, a new drawbar, an edge finder, and a slitting saw arbor in the mail yesterday and today.

Waiting on the boring head and a 5C collet set with square and hex collet blocks, and a few other things still in transit.

Having a lot of fun learning this new machine.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
There are terminals for a braking resistor, though I have not looked into that yet. I'm OK with the extended spin up and slow down speeds at this point. Not really in a hurry yet.

Installed the new on/off switch.

I managed to clean up a piece of mild steel today with one of the nitride coated end mills. Seemed to work great. Tried a carbide insert face mill and not much joy. I understand I need higher speeds and heavier feed for carbide, so I need to step back and look at my setup.

Got an R8 collet set, an R8 drill chuck, an R8 to MT2 adapter, a new drawbar, an edge finder, and a slitting saw arbor in the mail yesterday and today.

Glad you are enjoying your new machine.
Waiting on the boring head and a 5C collet set with square and hex collet blocks, and a few other things still in transit.

Having a lot of fun learning this new machine.
I have tilted the head ever so slightly so the backside of the face mill doesn’t drag. Helps the surface finish. Keep the depth of cut no less than half the radius of the insert. Try to take too small depth of cut and it’s just like a lathe. You can’t get good finish taking off a couple of thousandths with a .03 radius tool.

Glad your having fun!

(2)2182s w/60in Habans