Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > Gardens, Lawns and Landscapes

Notices

Old 06-26-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
2 qt. in 20 gal will exterminate anything growing, but if a seed germinates the
It surely will. That's much stronger than what I usually mix up. I've gone with 1-2 oz per gallon. (A little more than a quart per 20 gallons.)

1971 126 w/ Brinly Sleeve Hitch, Plow, Discs, and Cultivator

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50159
Old 06-26-2018, 07:15 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad126 View Post
It surely will. That's much stronger than what I usually mix up. I've gone with 1-2 oz per gallon. (A little more than a quart per 20 gallons.)
All glyphosate should be mixed (unless you buy the premixed version) per the label to end up with the same % in water for the intended application.
Since there are various concentrations or % of the active ingredient glypho you can buy.
You can't compare the ratio someone else uses due to not knowing what strength the other person bought.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Banned

Unless you guys have sprayed commercially, like for a co-op, or on a farm... "professionally", you have no idea. Sorry. I know George and John know, and I have sprayed a fair share also. The stuff you can buy without an applicators license is piddly in comparison. "Commercial" Round-Up will burn down in just a day or two, and be solid dead in 5 and the mix rate is way different. I don't get too concerned with the mix rate on the bottle of Round-up from Walmart or TSC. It's pretty weak stuff really.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:26 PM

Who are you referring to?

Im not offended. Just a bit puzzled. Glyphosate is made up of compounds, "commercial" or not. If the concentration is the same, it doesnt matter what the grade is so long as you compensate for it in a mixture and the compounds are the same. Im not going to try to justify myself here because arguing online is silly to me, so I wont go into detail of what properties I have kept up, or the acreage I have used this stuff on. I dont work for a co-op but I didnt see that as a prerequisite in the users manual for the stuff Ive sprayed. I will however tell you that I know full well what I am talking about when it comes to using herbicides.

Ive got a lot of respect for in regards to tractors. You know your stuff. But please dont assume that everyone on this forum is incompetent in regards to every topic you are knowledgable on. Some of us do, in fact, know a thing or two about agriculture as well. What "commercial" glyphosate are you using? Just curious.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad126 View Post
Who are you referring to?

Im not offended. Just a bit puzzled. Glyphosate is made up of compounds, "commercial" or not. If the concentration is the same, it doesnt matter what the grade is so long as you compensate for it in a mixture and the compounds are the same. Im not going to try to justify myself here because arguing online is silly to me, so I wont go into detail of what properties I have kept up, or the acreage I have used this stuff on. I dont work for a co-op but I didnt see that as a prerequisite in the users manual for the stuff Ive sprayed. I will however tell you that I know full well what I am talking about when it comes to using herbicides.

Ive got a lot of respect for in regards to tractors. You know your stuff. But please dont assume that everyone on this forum is incompetent in regards to every topic you are knowledgable on. Some of us do, in fact, know a thing or two about agriculture as well. What "commercial" glyphosate are you using? Just curious.
I wasn't talking to anyone in particular. I just thought it was funny what both you and Double07 were saying about mix rates. Double07 is right. You have no idea what concentration George was referring to that he mixed. The stuff you buy locally is a low concentration. I've shot some of that stuff dang near strait and it took forever to burn down. I don't know how to refer to "commercial" grade concentrations other than to just say that. You can't just walk into your local farm Ag chem company and buy a 2 gallon jug of Round-Up (glyphosate). They won't sell it to you, because you have to have an applicators license to buy that concentration. Even though you can buy Round-Up at Wal-Mart.... you can't get the "good" stuff.

I have to assume in a topic like this that people are ignorant. Soooo many herbicides are available to the general public now that anyone who uses them assumes it's the same stuff that gets sprayed on a field..... it's not. Nothing to debate.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:17 PM

I dont disagree. There isnt anything to debate. The 2 gallon jug i have in my hands right now is considered "commercial". Its a 41% mixture. I never challenged George as to being incorrect. But a 1 to 40 ratio (2 qts to 20 gallons) is a strong mix in ANY concentrate of glyphosate. Even the dinky WalMart brand. Ive never seen a solution different than the 41% because we have always needed bulk and have always used the good stuff. And I dont buy roundup. FarmWorks is the brand we have always used, but regardless, its a 41% solution. Its the same chemical, just about half the price of round up. Either way, back to my point, Ive mixed between a 1 to 100 and 2 to 100 ratio, and have never had any issues killing everything it touches. Again, its not a debate. I enjoy these conversations. I just dont think its a good idea to generally say that folks dont know what they are talking about.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:44 PM
Banned

Round Up Pro concentrate available in 50.2% at least.
Glyophosate isn't as regulated as it once was either.

There are a lot of other things in the farm grade concentrates also.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
I have to assume in a topic like this that people are ignorant.
So now you're calling me ignorant? Hey, I'm just not educated on the subject.
That's why I asked at TSC to help me with what to buy to kill the grass and weeds in my driveway because I wasn't sure. Like I said, the first guy sold me Amine 400 2,4-D. That didn't work. The second guy sold me Barrier. After the fact, I looked at reviews for Barrier. It had more 1 star than 5 star reviews!

1976 IH Cub Cadet 1250, 1978 IH Cub Cadet 1250 W/Hydraulic lift
Old 06-26-2018, 11:00 PM

Ive seen the pro, but cant justify the cost. The FarmWorks we buy kills everything from milkweed to pine yearlings. Another thing, and yall are gonna give me hell for this, but I wear chest waders when I spray this stuff. You guys can say what you want, but overexposure can cause serious illness.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bllwnkl View Post
So now you're calling me ignorant? Hey, I'm just not educated on the subject.
That's why I asked at TSC to help me with what to buy to kill the grass and weeds in my driveway because I wasn't sure. Like I said, the first guy sold me Amine 400 2,4-D. That didn't work. The second guy sold me Barrier. After the fact, I looked at reviews for Barrier. It had more 1 star than 5 star reviews!

Im pretty sure he was referring me as being ignorant lol. Its all good though. I dont know JMech personally, but I think he has good intentions and always seems to genuinely want to help, although he can be harsh as hell at times.