Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 09:44 AM

Sorry for the late reply guys. I have the LT1050 Can't remember the model # off the top of my head.
My driveway is smooth concrete. I won't be waiting for 6-8" falls before I get after it. Anything beats shoveling that stuff. I did buy chains for it. But not going to buy any wheels weights. My 210 lbs should help a little..LOL

Thanks for all the comments & suggestions.

Curtis
Old 12-02-2014, 11:34 PM

Don't worry about the chains. If you can keep up with the snow the tires will be fine on the concrete. The chains are good if you are going on ice or packed snow but won't do you any good on a bare paved surface. Besides, they will scratch the hell out of the concrete. Just get on the snow as soon as it falls. I had an old MTD tractor with an 8 hp motor that easily pushed snow as high as the hood. You know what your tractor sounds like...listen to it when you plow. If you hear the transmission doing some excessive straining it's a signal that you are doing too much. And you are right, your weight will be adequate. You may consider a different tire for the machine though as the lawn treads are pretty tame. Either get a set of lugs and switch them out or be careful when you mow and you will be fine.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:22 PM

Hey guys,
finally installed the plow blade tonight..Pretty easy stuff. Have a question concerning the skid shoes and how they should be adjusted. I guess you would adjust them below the blade if you were moving anything but snow? Like gravel?
Should they be adjusted even with the blade for concrete? My driveways all concrete with one section thats a little uneven. Kinda broken up but not terrible.

Thanks!!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:24 PM

I would say with my experience doing snow on a rock driveway you should set them at 1/2 inch and make sure the trip option is working. If you hit a crack in your driveway you could launch yourself off or damage the tractor.
1977 1650 with cast iron lower grill housing, cast iron oil pan, 54" push-snow blade, rear blade, disc-harrow, 44c and 48" decks, Two cultivators, #1 tiller with both extensions, loaded tires, 75' weights and chains, #2 cart.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 PM

First thing you need to do is remove that mowing deck, you don't need it causing any problems while pushing snow around, Next thing to do is get another scraper edge for it and longer bolts and bolt it on top of the first one, this helps prevents bending and will last twice as long as the single edge.

If you have a gravel drive, as other suggested lower the skids 1/2 to 3/4 inch below scraper edge, smooth pavement level with scraper edge, this helps save wear on the scraper edge.

Would not waste time with wheel weights, but check around for a rear weight bracket and some suite case weights, easier to put on and take off as needed.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:31 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnyb View Post
First thing you need to do is remove that mowing deck, you don't need it causing any problems while pushing snow around, Next thing to do is get another scraper edge for it and longer bolts and bolt it on top of the first one, this helps prevents bending and will last twice as long as the single edge.

If you have a gravel drive, as other suggested lower the skids 1/2 to 3/4 inch below scraper edge, smooth pavement level with scraper edge, this helps save wear on the scraper edge.

Would not waste time with wheel weights, but check around for a rear weight bracket and some suite case weights, easier to put on and take off as needed.
Well I don't think doubling up the cutting edges is going to do anything. They would both be on the ground at the same time, so what would you gain? When it wears out replace it. The OP may never wear one out in the lifetime of the tractor.
I wouldn't recommend hanging anything off the back, let alone "suite case weights" on a LT.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post
Well I don't think doubling up the cutting edges is going to do anything. They would both be on the ground at the same time, so what would you gain?
What you gain is the strength of double plated steel. If your plowing a perfectly smooth surface, this may not be an issue but if you risk hitting or catching the plow on anything, a double blade can save your plow. I drive a snow plow truck for a large city in OH. We double plate our plows. Typically with a used blade in back and a new one in front. If you hit a manhole while plowing 25mph, it hurts, and the blade will snap and many times you bend the moldboard. Ive never hit one hard enough to break a blade that was double plated. Obviously no one is plowing 25mph and hitting manholes on a tractor but your tractor plow isn't nearly as heavy duty either.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
What you gain is the strength of double plated steel. If your plowing a perfectly smooth surface, this may not be an issue but if you risk hitting or catching the plow on anything, a double blade can save your plow. I drive a snow plow truck for a large city in OH. We double plate our plows. Typically with a used blade in back and a new one in front. If you hit a manhole while plowing 25mph, it hurts, and the blade will snap and many times you bend the moldboard. Ive never hit one hard enough to break a blade that was double plated. Obviously no one is plowing 25mph and hitting manholes on a tractor but your tractor plow isn't nearly as heavy duty either.
Right, you gain strength so it won't bend. But if it's built that cheap in the first place and something is hit, something else will have to give. I've never seen one of the "newer" blades so I don't know how flimsy they are built.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 AM

Thanks guys for the replys!
Who sells the scraper edge for these plow blades? I might put that extra edge on there for added protection. I do have one section of concrete that is tore up a little and have to be careful plowing that section.

I really didn't have any issues with the deck being on there. I suppose I could take it off next winter. Not going to mess with it now in the cold weather. Hopefully we are almost done for snow this winter.

Used it this past weekend for the first substantial snow fall we've had. Close to 8". Plowed it several times to try and keep up with it...Overall it went pretty well. Beats the heck out of shoveling it..LOL

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 AM
Grand Member

Before I got my IH blade I had a blade like the one in question. I think it will be a good match for that LT. But it was no match for the 149 of mine, had to weld some braces in

Terry

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans