Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Default New to me 1515 Hydrostatic LT

Hi guys, my first post.... Thanks lol

I have a couple of questions about my new to me 1515
Model 13A-201F100
Serial 1G092H20495
286 hours

1) First and foremost when was this thing made? (2002? Previous owners says he thinks its a 2009)

2) PTO - With engine running I engaged the PTO, unit kicks on and will cut but at medium to low speed only. PTO disengages at high speed with or without the deck attached. Also, mower cuts in reverse (not a personal problem for me but could it be related?) PTO makes NO noise with deck detached so that seems like a good thing...

3) Deck - With the deck on, there is this loud bearing grinding sound. I took off the deck and turned the blade pulleys by hand. The sound seems to be coming from the bearings where the grease fittings are. I will grease and reassess. Hopefully an easy fix.

3) Tranny - Tranny brake is jumpy but otherwise works ok. I don't know how fast it should go and I can GPS it but there is a slight "whine" coming from her. How do I service? It looks like I have to take it down (Grrr is this difficult i.e. linkages, etc). I do see an expansion tank (#HG-70503). Can I dump and refill from here? What about the filter (HG-51132), it seems only accessible from the inside? Do I lift the deck or drop the axle or just drive it until it breaks?

I mostly use it to move my boat about 35' over smooth concrete in and out of my shed where my truck can't make a tight turn. I do have a small bit of yard to cut but negligible. I picked her up for $200 knowing about the PTO disengaging issue. I'm more worried about the tranny and my budget at this moment (temporarily) is low. Any advice will up. Thanks guys

Video of the deck noise and PTO disengage at speed
http://youtu.be/qed6UqZitDQ
Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Looks like they only made the 1515 for one year 2002. No idea what the PTO issue is but my guess is a safety switch. Maybe related to the fact that it works in reverse. Trans service is a PITA on this type of tractor. You pretty much need to pull it out of the tractor to get at it. Deck sounds like the bearings are on the way out in your vid. You may be $$$ ahead if you sell it for what you have in it and look for something a little more heavy duty like a 2165 or 2185, you can find them cheap. $200 -$600.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Hmm, I can feel what appears to be a plug/fill hole at the top rear. If I can get it open then use a vacuum to suck out the old fluid and pump new in. Does this sound logical with out dropping the hole thing? I can't find anyone within 100 miles that has a 65 or 85...

I greased up the spindles but they are shot...
Old 10-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwoolley View Post
Hi guys, my first post.... Thanks lol

I have a couple of questions about my new to me 1515
Model 13A-201F100
Serial 1G092H20495
286 hours

1) First and foremost when was this thing made? (2002? Previous owners says he thinks its a 2009)

2) PTO - With engine running I engaged the PTO, unit kicks on and will cut but at medium to low speed only. PTO disengages at high speed with or without the deck attached. Also, mower cuts in reverse (not a personal problem for me but could it be related?) PTO makes NO noise with deck detached so that seems like a good thing...

3) Deck - With the deck on, there is this loud bearing grinding sound. I took off the deck and turned the blade pulleys by hand. The sound seems to be coming from the bearings where the grease fittings are. I will grease and reassess. Hopefully an easy fix.

3) Tranny - Tranny brake is jumpy but otherwise works ok. I don't know how fast it should go and I can GPS it but there is a slight "whine" coming from her. How do I service? It looks like I have to take it down (Grrr is this difficult i.e. linkages, etc). I do see an expansion tank (#HG-70503). Can I dump and refill from here? What about the filter (HG-51132), it seems only accessible from the inside? Do I lift the deck or drop the axle or just drive it until it breaks?

I mostly use it to move my boat about 35' over smooth concrete in and out of my shed where my truck can't make a tight turn. I do have a small bit of yard to cut but negligible. I picked her up for $200 knowing about the PTO disengaging issue. I'm more worried about the tranny and my budget at this moment (temporarily) is low. Any advice will up. Thanks guys

Video of the deck noise and PTO disengage at speed
http://youtu.be/qed6UqZitDQ
Welcome to OCC

Not familiar with this model tractor, but you're pto trouble could easily be a safety switch related problem. I don't think you should be able to mow in reverse, so someone has had their hand on something to bypass the safety switch.
Most of these have a "whine" when their operated, but how bad of a whine yours is, isn't something we can tell without being there. If it's more noticeable the faster you go, I would think that would be normal, to some extent.
Is the whine you hear that makes you think it needs attention? As for "vacuuming" the fluid out, don't think you would want that in your vacuum, plus you'll never get it all out.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post
Welcome to OCC

Not familiar with this model tractor, but you're pto trouble could easily be a safety switch related problem. I don't think you should be able to mow in reverse, so someone has had their hand on something to bypass the safety switch.
Most of these have a "whine" when their operated, but how bad of a whine yours is, isn't something we can tell without being there. If it's more noticeable the faster you go, I would think that would be normal, to some extent.
Is the whine you hear that makes you think it needs attention? As for "vacuuming" the fluid out, don't think you would want that in your vacuum, plus you'll never get it all out.

Thanks, no the whine isn't that bad. I did pop the seat, cap, and gas tank off and sucked out some fluid. It is a grey greenish color. Doesn't look good but I'm sure it could have been much worse. I'm taking a break at the moment, letting what's left settle and going to go get some oil.

What can I use that the auto store sells? I read somewhere something about 15w-40 (don't quote me), point was that they used oil.

So far I have sucked out 42oz. What is the capacity of this unit, 78.8 oz?

Also, I found a broken wire for the PTO at the reverse linkage under the seat. I'll reattach and see if it helps the disengaging at high speed.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Do you notice the whine is louder when you're close to the house and gets quieter when you go away from the house? My second 1811 had one heck of a whine when I pulled into the driveway with it! Found it to be coming from the doorway to the house. Wife with hands on hips. :<{) Sorry just having a little fun.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:29 PM

Lol
Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 PM

you dont want it to mow in reverse?
i find that very annoying with my dads cub cadet that the deck shuts off whenever you go in reverse......seems to me it's good for pto switch and clutch sales.
cub cadet 127 basketcase, my dad bought in 84
cub cadet 71 beauty (formerly johncub7172's)
cub cadet 123, craigslist find

Old 10-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
you dont want it to mow in reverse?
i find that very annoying with my dads cub cadet that the deck shuts off whenever you go in reverse......seems to me it's good for pto switch and clutch sales.
I was going to hook it up to test the other issue with the PTO but after thinking about it I don't see how it would be associated since its open circuits that allows the PTO to stay engaged, closing the circuit (putting in reverse, getting off seat) is what shuts the PTO off. I also disconnected the seat.

Update on the tranny, I sucked out 42 oz (as far/much as my 18" long 1/4" hose could get), dumped the overflow container and flushed it with new fluid (it was filthy), filled the tranny with 42 oz of Coastal Multi Tractorfluid ($13.00 gal Qutozone), and hooked her back up. Runs great. I'm going to pull the cap, gas can, and seat every season or so and repeat until it stays clean.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Grand Member

Glad you got it working.
I was completely confused when you said you were going to "vacuum" out the fluid.
I would still check all the wires to see if something is either hooked up wrong or possibly a broken wire.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!

Tags
1515, cadet, cub, fluid, hydrostatic