Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:26 AM

Coop...I'm pretty sure I mentioned from the very beginning that the blown engine is not the only consideration. I'm sure of it. I have said that other considerations weighing in are the trans leak and deck. I've said that the trans has leaked for 20 years now. These are not new items. Also, I've referred to having some reservations about fixing the cub solely due to the overall age of the rest of the tractor. I've also said I'm hesitant to buy another used cub simply cause of not knowing the history of it in the way of engine maintenance and so forth. I just don't see that option as being one of the best ones. I either fix up or buy new (but not a new Cub...have it narrowed to one of 2 tractors I've looked at). One of the things really holding me back also is not getting the chance to see the attachments (sub-frame, etc.) and plow that would come with either tractor. I've not voiced any of these details since this is not the place for it. The last thing guys want to hear is my wrangling over the pros and cons of the new tractors I'm considering. I've got plenty, but heaven forbid I open another pandora's box. I think, if I'm reading the overall tone of some of the replies correctly, this site really should be relabeled "Only vintage cub cadets"...since that seems to be the main focus.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
Hey, Falcon, are you still able to cut grass with the Cub? Or is it down for the count while you figure things out?

I was going to say, perhaps while you are working out a path forward, you might start wrenching on the old Cub--basically begin disassembly. Remove the hood, front grill and engine. Remove seat, fenders, tunnel cover. Clean things up. You might find the process a lot less intimidating that it seems by looking at things. In other words, take some action rather than just focusing on decision. It might help you make up your mind one way or another.

Keep the bolts in labeled zip lock bags so you know where they go back. Take a bunch of photos as you work so you can see how things go back together.

Post some pics on here of your progress. I am quite sure if you do these things, the responses you get on here will change in tone quite dramatically.

Despite some of the comments, most folks here are ready, willing and able to help you with the Cub. It's the analytical approach to your decision that the mechanics on here are struggling with. After all, we are not really equipped to address such thought processes.

I should have added that over the past several months I've had to prepare for not only my nephew's wedding, wherein I arranged and did all the music, but also had my daughter's wedding just this past Saturday - so the summer has been a whirlwind of activity. The LAST thing I needed was for the Cub to break down this summer. So I've been devoting as much time as I can to this whole fix/repair/buy new option but it's been pretty busy here.

Perhaps some of the others will chime in with words of support for this approach?
Frank...YES...you get it, man. The highlighted part is totally where I'm at. I'm pretty sure I referred to this in either a recent post or message. Every time I walk by it of late, I'm coming to the conclusion that - compared to looking at the new tractors I've seen - the Cub just looks so uncomplicated and perhaps easier to work on. Hood and tunnel cover have been off for weeks already.

Oh...sorry guys....forgot to mention that the fan needs to be replaced...but I've referred to that several times already before. Add that to the list of items that makes me worthy of being called a troll I suppose. (sorry..just joking...well...sorta)

In answer to your question, though, about mowing...can't mow with a broken rod..so, yeah, you could say it's 'down for the count' until I get something. I've been trying to resist making a quick decision based on the obvious need to cut the lawn. Can't do mine with anything other than a rider, but just hated to feel 'forced' into buying either a used or new tractor just because the misfortune with the 129 came in the midst of the mowing season. Also, Jon had told me that he'd need at least 2 weeks to prepare an engine for me once I give him the go-ahead.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
Inability is one thing. I doubt anyone here will ras you for that. But seriously. How have you been cutting your grass all summer? The reason people are saying troll is because the issues you are having keep multiplying. Every time a reasonable solution is offered you find another issue with your 129. It makes the whole thing suspect. Now.. Had you come here with an engine blown, Ordered the engine, and replaced. Then come back again with another issue no one would think anything of that. However, as methodical as you have been during this whole thing it makes me wonder how you did not have a complete list of every issue with your tractor up front? If you listed all these problems at that time some people here may have not told you to replace the engine. They may have told you "like I did" buy another 129 off craigslist that runs for a couple hundred, strip your old 129 of good parts as spares, and scrap the rest. Your lawn could have been getting cut all this time by you.
Nah...I just don't want the hassle of yet another cub here. I know this runs contrary to the forum, since it's obvious many of you guys have several tractors.
I'm using the lawn service that mows my neighbor's property - they're very reasonable. I need to talk to them anyway about some relandscaping issues that I want them to look into, but won't EVEN go into any of that. Next I'll be accused of being a troll on a lawn care forum LOL
Old 07-30-2018, 10:40 AM

So please answer, how is your grass getting cut right now?

Okay, you answered while I was typing.

1976 IH Cub Cadet 1250, 1978 IH Cub Cadet 1250 W/Hydraulic lift
Old 07-30-2018, 10:48 AM

Guys...give me a break. Just a personal note....this summer has been crazy with 2 weddings and 2 showers in the family. I arranged, prepared and performed all the music for my nephew's wedding last month, then also had my daughter's wedding 2 days ago....arranged and recorded (via organ flash drive) all the music for that - besides writing piano arrangements for 2 pieces that we had done during the ceremony, along with all the busyness that went into preparing for the entire event. For those here who have had a son or daughter get married....you get it. The LAST thing I needed was for the Cub to break down. So my mind has been in many places this summer. AND...the night before my nephew's wedding our main 100-amp breaker decided to crap out so had to have an emergency electrical outfit here during the wee hours putting in a used breaker (they charged me TWO arms and TWO legs compared to the proverbial 'arm and a leg'...unbelievably expensive...try $1100 just for the breaker, as an example). So..still grappling with that. The emergency outfit suggested the whole panel should be replaced, so I'm trying (so far unsuccessfully) to get in touch with my regular electrician to have him come out and take a look. So...the cub?....yeah...I'm not trolling here...and do need to make this decision...but have had alot of other issues on my plate this summer.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Diesel Dr....you refer to a lack of positive feedback. Really? How many times have I been complimentary for any mechanical / technical advice that I've been given? I try to make a point of thanking everyone who posts such advice.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Got a PM today from Mr. Falcon.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 07-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Grand Member

Oh boy! sharing PM's LOL.. Can't wait to see what comes of this
And for the record.. He is a Senior moderator
Think Falcon's head might

Old 07-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Banned

I used to get PM's like that all the time when I was a mod.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:40 PM
Grand Member

Falcon, post some pics of your Cub, please.