Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
Looks like a great restoration candidate---all there and not beat up! Seat and headlights appear aftermarket, rear hubcaps factory? So to what level of restoration are you going for--is this going to be a trailer queen or will you take photos after painting and then proceed to go mow the yard? Please keep your thread updated with lots of pics and HAVE FUN!
Yeah John the little guy is in pretty good shape except for a dent on the hood, I don't plan on using the lights, and the PO had a new seat pan for it. Other than a lot of rust and grease everything should clean up pretty well. I plan on making it a trailer queen. I only hope I can make it look half as good as the one OLDS restored. Sanny Claws brought me a new toy for Christmas ( a sand blaster). so we shall see.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan View Post
Sanny Claws brought me a new toy for Christmas ( a sand blaster). so we shall see.

Ahhh SANDYclaus!
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 12-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Grand Member

Ahhh, can smell the PB from here.
Keepa going Bama. I love these rebuilds/restore threads.
You going "original", or putting your own twist on it?

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:35 AM
Grand Member

I love the smell of PB in the morning! :-)

(and Kroil !)
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post
Ahhh, can smell the PB from here.
Keepa going Bama. I love these rebuilds/restore threads.
You going "original", or putting your own twist on it?
Zippy i'm planning to go as "original" as possible. Even with the bolts, I'm in the process of cleaning them now, kinda neat that most all them have IH on em.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Zippy i'm planning to go as "original" as possible. Even with the bolts, I'm in the process of cleaning them now, kinda neat that most all them have IH on em.

That's the right thing to do with that very nice original original Cub.
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Grand Member

Nice that the 100 has most of it's original bolts. Kinda rare around here to find one in that condition.

Looks like a great project. Keep the pics coming!
Old 12-27-2017, 10:29 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Good to hear. I think those IH bolts add to the originality of the tractor, more nostalgic using what it was born with.
What I found worked good, was wire wheeling them on the bench grinder, then soaking them in Simple Green, then running em' through the wire wheel again. Lot of time, but they come out good.
These I had zinc plated.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 12-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Grand Member

Default fastener and plating

Todd,
Those came out great and it's really the right way to go if there's a plater nearby. (If someone knows of a mail-order plater that we could send a bucket of hardware to, that would be good to know!)

The thing about wire wheeling cad plated stuff, is that the wire wheeling sure cleans them up well but I think it removes the cad plate in the process, and rust will form quickly. Thanks to the RoHS* initiative it's harder to find anyone who will do hex chromate plating that most hardware originally came with, and the replacement trivalent chromate plating is a poor substitute for rust protection.

The other downside is that some of the hardware gets launched into low earth orbit never to be seen again.

It sure is cool to have the right fasteners on the Cubs. All bolts will function just as well, but it's just not quite right. :-) The 123 I just purchased has some CAT branded bolts which is pretty cool.

It's too bad we don't have some Cub historians. It would be interesting (to me) to know whether IH actually made their own fasteners or just had them built with the IH headstamp.

John

* "Reduction of Hazardous Substances" -- an EU initiative designed to remove lead, hexavalent chromate and many other substances from the industry.
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 12-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrewer View Post
It's too bad we don't have some Cub historians. It would be interesting (to me) to know whether IH actually made their own fasteners or just had them built with the IH headstamp.
You would have to be an IH "guru", not a Cub Cadet "guru" to know that answer. I've read almost all the IH books there are about the company. IH had their own iron ore mines, and at least one steel mill. They made a lot of their own iron products. However, I have never seen anything in all I've read about them making their own fasteners. I'm guessing they didn't. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did. They (IH) had their hands in too many things that they could have outsourced for less. I'd research to find an answer, but I'm not that interested to know.

If a bolt is rusty, I just replace it with a new one. I don't think the IH headstamp bolts make any difference in a restoration. I've never seen anyone get down and look to see if all the bolts have an IH on them. Or it affect the value of the tractor any. Zip and I have talked about this many times. I give him a hard time about it, and he razzez me back, lol.