Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 06-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
We don't have to "permit" to build anything where I live. If you live in the county seat, you have to get a "building permit" to build. But that's basically you paying off the law enforcement to leave you alone while you build. Or give them a reason to stop and ask if you have a building permit....
LOL.. I might become your neighbor then !!!! I hate NY for this kind of crap. Its My land let me build whatever the hell I want!
Old 06-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Grand Member

We can't get away with anything down here in Florida.
Use to be you could build a shed under 400sf without a permit.
Now everything has to be permitted for "proper" construction.
Under the ruse that it is to insure your building will not fly apart in a hurricane and cause damage to your neighbors. Yea, right it is a money grab and an excuse to inspect all of your property for violations of any sort.

Anyways, size of building does not matter cause when you see stuff at bargain prices you will say to yourself "I got the room for that in the shed".
Then the bargain is diminished when you have add on to your building.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
Its My land let me build whatever the hell I want!
My libertarian side agrees very much The thing that kills me about permits is the nuances. For example I live in my county seat (as Jon pointed out the significance) when I built a detached garage last year. I was told the largest slab I could do with a monolithic footing/floating slab is 1000 sqft. So this is what I built. Yesterday I was at a buddy’s house 10 miles away, same county different township. His neighbor is putting in a 30x40 (1200sqft) shop with a monolithic footing all within the grace of the city.

The original explaination I got was that there was some study done or evidence given that if you go larger there will be issues given the soil, climate, wind, thaw freeze cycles and what not. Somehow being 10 miles apart his building will stand but mine would crumble.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:02 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
Thinking about using reclaimed lumber for the build but have to do some research. Would love some input with working with old lumber..
Do a LOT of research.
It should include the cost per board foot as well as the inconvenience of trying to work with mixed sizes, widths, thicknesses etc. of available reclaimed wood.

Used lumber was not to popular for use a few years ago.
But now that it is called "reclaimed wood" the popularity and thus the price is sometimes a premium over new wood.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Do a LOT of research.
It should include the cost per board foot as well as the inconvenience of trying to work with mixed sizes, widths, thicknesses etc. of available reclaimed wood.

Used lumber was not to popular for use a few years ago.
But now that it is called "reclaimed wood" the popularity and thus the price is sometimes a premium over new wood.
Absolutely will do.. I'm trying to get out to his yard this week to see what he has and what quantities.. I will compare all the prices and so on. Thanks for the tips
Old 06-25-2018, 11:56 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
We don't have to "permit" to build anything where I live. If you live in the county seat, you have to get a "building permit" to build. But that's basically you paying off the law enforcement to leave you alone while you build. Or give them a reason to stop and ask if you have a building permit....
We have to get a permit to put up anything. Oh, should have said, "permits". Building permit, and the one I get a kick out of, land usage permit.
So I have to pay to use my land we pay taxes on to use...
Good luck to the OP, hope it all works out.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!