Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines

Notices

Old 01-02-2015, 05:01 PM

Default M18 Governor gear replacement

I was wondering if it is possible to crack open the case of a magnum 18hp wide enough to replace the governor gear without having to remove the jugs? The engine does not smoke and the compression is good so I would rather not remove the pistons if at all possible. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Banned

No. But if you move the piston to the top of the bore, then unbolt the jug, you can pull it out just enough, and let the piston slide to the bottom of the bore exposing the wrist pin. Pull the clips and the pin leaving the piston in the jug. May need another pair of hands, but it can be done.

You have to split the case so you can reseal it.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:21 PM

OK, I'll try that. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Grand Member

Why do you want to replace the gov gear?
If it is broken, you want to remove the broken pieces, and check for possible additional damage.
Then replace the oil seals on either end of the crank, not to mention resealing the crankcase 1/2's etc etc.
It is gonna be a total R&R, there are no shortcuts when splitting the cases.
about the only short cut is leaving the pistons in the jug As J mech said.
make sure you clean all the sealant off the jugs/cases.
Follow the repair manual procedure!
--or you will the second time when you do it over.
Luck!!
Old 01-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
No. But if you move the piston to the top of the bore, then unbolt the jug, you can pull it out just enough, and let the piston slide to the bottom of the bore exposing the wrist pin. Pull the clips and the pin leaving the piston in the jug. May need another pair of hands, but it can be done.

I can handle jugs with both hands no problem,

some rope tied to them then attach the string to the ceiling or make a jig for the jugs to hold them up.
hmmmmm
Old 01-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Grand Member

Remember a few like that,---- didn't need the rope though
Old 01-02-2015, 07:31 PM

I agree it can be done, here is a little write up. It was a KT17II that I needed to repair. This engine ran well but had no governor speed control. After studying some of the rebuild pictures on OCC and the service manual I decided to see if I could do it without splitting the case. The engine was not in the tractor, oil drained, remote filter and all sheet metal removed. I removed the oil filler tube, intake with carb, coil, and starter. I could see the old governor in the oil intake opening, it was wedged just off the shaft end (good news). I tried to move it with a pair of long nose pliers, and it fell down into the engine. I removed the #2 cylinder assembly intact. The old governor was setting on top of the camshaft. By feeding a guide wire down the oil filler opening and attaching it to the new governor, I was able to pull it up into the engine. With a long pick I got it back onto its shaft. I did change the thrust washer first. If you mount the engine on an engine stand and rotate it, gravity can help with the location and positioning.
I don't think you would want to do this procedure if the old governor had been digested by the cam and crankshaft , cleanup might be a concern. Kohler also has service bulletin # 246 for M18's that covers a loose governor gear shaft and how to repair it.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:45 AM

Just an update, I fully opened the case and cleaned out the pieces of the old gear. It really wasn't a bad job. The engine is back together and in the cub. It runs really well and is ready for the mowing season.

Thanks for the help!