Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Resources > What is it worth ?

Notices

Old 06-04-2018, 12:32 PM

Default 1864 plus accessories

Hi folks - new here. I have an 1864 that I'm considering selling. Wondering what seems fair to ask.

It's got the Kohler 18HP, just about 700 hours on it. 46" deck, triple rear bagger, wheel weights, rear weight bracket and weights, and the 2 stage snow thrower. New Extremetech PTO clutch. Bought it a few years back from an engineer friend who put new Amsoil in every fall. He gave me the full documentation, his original receipts, service manuals for everything.

Condition is about average for it's age I would say. However, the engine just picked up an issue. Won't quite make full power. Sounds okay with no load, but even just putting it in gear makes it drop revs a bit. Kick in the blades and it's obvious something is going on. I don't have the time or area to work on it, so that's why I'm selling. The grass is getting high!

I should also say that I've never used the snow thrower. The guy said it worked 5 years ago, been sitting since. Quite a bit of rust on it, though he says its run that way for years until he got a new one. I've had it garaged for the past 2 years.

So that's it - hate to sell it as I like the classic looks but I need to help pay for the new one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveorama View Post
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
**Here's my thought.**

The 1864 if a vote was taken, would likely win the award for the best all around GT ever made by Cub Cadet. It might lose some votes due to the lousy plastic hoods, but it uses the same frame that the older Cubs used, with some new better features. (You are familiar with the machine, I'll not tell you what it has.) But they are the last of the true great GT machines made by far.

So.... that said. Likely whatever is ailing your engine, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new tractor that won't be half as good, and cost 5 times as much as you will get out of that one selling it. If you aren't a mechanic, and don't have time to be, then take it to a shop and get it fixed. Whatever you sink into it, it will be worth it. Even if it's a new $1,600 engine, it would be worth it. (As a note, if someone tells you the engine is bad, I'd get a second opinion. Not that they don't go bad, but not usually if they still run, and only have 700 hours on them.)

So, do whatever you want to do..... but I'd fix that tractor.

Without pics, going only by description and considering the engine issues, I would say the following:
Tractor with deck: $500
Bagger: $200-$300
Wheel weights: $75 (Assuming plastic weights, not cast.)
Rear weight bracket: $50
Suitcase weights: $30-$40/weight if they are cast iron, less if it's plastic.
Snowblower: $200-$400 depending on condition and model. You say it's rusty.....

Yeah.... I'd fix it.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Grand Member

The fix may only be a blown head gasket.... I would check it out as that is an easy repair..
Old 06-05-2018, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the knowledge - and the passion!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:26 PM
Grand Member

There are some members here that live in the northeast but not sure exactly where in relation to you. Not going to volunteer any names but there’s some cub savvy guys on here that would probably be able to fix you up. I’m also agreeing to fix it, you have a decent hour highly sought after cyclops with some cool attachments and nothing made today is close unless you are willing to pay a lot for it. Just my .02
(2) Original, 100, 102, 124, 73, 800, #1 and #2 cart, brinly plows, disk, IH184, IH244, 1948 F Cub