Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 10-13-2018, 09:08 PM

Default Fall maintenance on the 1811

What do you gents do to your cubs in the fall?

I mowed the grass one last time and pulled the deck off for the winter. I had restored the deck this spring which included, new spindles, patching some holes, sandblasting rusty areas which I painted with POR15, coating the bottom with EZ-Slide graphite paint, new hardware, and a fresh coat of IH white.

My fall routine for the deck is to clean under the belt cover which I'll undercoat with EZ-Slide, sharpen blades, grease spindles, and undercoat the deck with EZ-Slide. As you can see, this is what I found under the cover after mowing one acre about 10 times this summer. That's about half gallon of debris. Anyone know how to prevent this? Maybe close up the spindle holes a bit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dirty belt cover.jpg (32.0 KB, 118 views)

Barn fresh 1811 with:
44c mowing deck
QA42A snow thrower
42" snow blade
Old 10-13-2018, 09:09 PM

Here is the rusty 44C deck before restoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rusty deck.jpg (39.7 KB, 117 views)

Barn fresh 1811 with:
44c mowing deck
QA42A snow thrower
42" snow blade
Old 10-13-2018, 09:31 PM

I picked up a new Ohio Steel pull-behind sweeper to collect leaves. It seems to work pretty well but I made the mistake off using it in the street to pick up leaves. When it gets full the leaf catcher drags and gets sliced up on the bottom.

I have had an annoying squeak coming from the front end when rolling. I thought it was my new wheel bearings but I realized the sound was coming from the axle adjustment screws (bumpers) where they rub on the axle. Last spring I had rounded the screw heads and filed smooth the axle where they rub because they had been digging into each other. See pics after I smoothed them with a file. Guess I'll need to grease them more often.

I inspected my new front wheel bearings and saw that the spindles are worn down about 20 thou so the wheels wobble. It's not a race car and I keep them greased up so do I really need to replace the spindles? Can I shim the axles to keep races from spinning?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle bump stop.jpg (17.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Axle stop bolt.jpg (22.6 KB, 114 views)

Barn fresh 1811 with:
44c mowing deck
QA42A snow thrower
42" snow blade
Old 10-13-2018, 11:49 PM
Grand Member

For the underside of the decks. I scrape all the debris out, wire brush what I couldn't get with the scraper, then brush on waste oil. No rust on any undersides of my decks.
As for the top, you asked what can be done. Either leave the cover off, which I would not recommend, or keep taking it off, and cleaning under it. That's about all that can be done...
As for the tractor. Well, that depends on the tractor. Some I run the fuel out of the tank, and run it dry till it stops before putting it away. Others, I put StaBil in the tank, per instructions, run it for five minutes, then park them. Remove batteries, and store them in the basement where it's warm, and dry.
Blow the tractor off good with the air compressor, and don't bother with them till spring. I do charge the batteries occasionally throughout the winter/storage time.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 10-14-2018, 07:17 AM

The 1864 works all year around. The leaves in SE Pa are just starting to fall. So, it is time for the TracVac. The first few passes of leaf/grass collection go on a compost pile. The final leaves are dumped next to the woods. I typically collect 20-24 wagon loads of ~ 30 cubic feet each. Lots leaves. The leaves blast the underside of the deck clean. When done with leaves, remove deck, sharpen blades, grease. Install snow blade, chains and weights. Change oil/filter, clean air filter foam and use compressed air to blow out tractor and engine, grease tractor and wipe/wash tractor as leaf bits are everywhere. Battery is disconnected, charged so the 1864 is ready for snow removal.