Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

Cub Cadet Classics R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres Binder Books

CC Speciaalties IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service


If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!



Only Cub Cadets Chat!

OCC Archives


Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:23 AM
Steveshow Steveshow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 32
Default Thinking about picking up a 149. What to look for

I came across a 1974 149 locally. It looks to be in pretty good shape (looks better than my 128, which sat out in the weather 10 miles from the Texas coast for about 10 yrs.) I currently have a 128 with a 1A tiller that I put a creeper drive and spring lift assist on, but I am thinking a hydro tractor would be the "cat's meow". The 149 currently has a mower deck on it, but I am pretty sure that the spring assist from my 128 won't work on the 149, so I need some advice on a lift.

Is there anything in particular to ask or look at on the 149? Of course I plan to drive it and cut some grass with it if possible in order to get a general idea of it's abilities.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Steveshow Steveshow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 32
Default

149 photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00h0h_a2A2Ai0ajkc_600x450.jpg (37.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 00K0K_8Y5iMtEonvg_600x450.jpg (26.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 00S0S_5rSmgnOmwNR_600x450.jpg (32.4 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Steveshow Steveshow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 32
Default

Current 128
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC 126.jpg (36.1 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:36 AM
IHCubCadet147's Avatar
IHCubCadet147 IHCubCadet147 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 361
Default

I don't think you would need the spring assist with a hydraulic lift. It looks to be in good shape. If you don't want it, you can deliver it to PA and I will gladly take it
__________________
1970 126 with 42" mower deck
1970 147 with 42" snow/dirt blade
1973 149 with 44" mower deck
1989 1320 with 38" mower deck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:49 AM
DeltaCub's Avatar
DeltaCub DeltaCub is offline
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,238
Default

The 149 does not require a spring assist lift kit. The 149 pictured has your three point hitch already installed. I used a 149/ model 2 tiller for years until the 1450 came along. The hydraulic lift is the cat's meow as you say. It looks good in the pics in Ohio but remember...it is an old tractor too! Drive shaft couplings loose and worn, PTO clutch may be weak, engine may be tired too. The hydrostatic linkage will be sloppy and loose so be prepared for jerky ride til you get the hang of it or get it fixed. It was a very popular model in my area...they are everywhere. Good luck and have fun.
__________________


Queen Of The Quietlines!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Steveshow Steveshow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHCubCadet147 View Post
I don't think you would need the spring assist with a hydraulic lift. It looks to be in good shape. If you don't want it, you can deliver it to PA and I will gladly take it
Does the 149 come with a hydraulic lift standard? All the more reason to "upgrade" from my 128.

Any reason not to go to a hydro tractor?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2018, 09:49 AM
Terry C's Avatar
Terry C Terry C is offline
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveshow View Post
Does the 149 come with a hydraulic lift standard? All the more reason to "upgrade" from my 128.

Any reason not to go to a hydro tractor?
No reason that I can think of. But I prefer hydros to gear drives. The hydrostatic drives are nearly indestructible.
149 is one of the best all around tractors. I say buy it, you won’t be sorry.
__________________
Terry

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
125,129,149,1200,982
(2)2182s w/60in Habans
3225
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 AM
DeltaCub's Avatar
DeltaCub DeltaCub is offline
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveshow View Post
Does the 149 come with a hydraulic lift standard? All the more reason to "upgrade" from my 128.

Any reason not to go to a hydro tractor?
The hydraulic lift was standard equipment on the 149. Hydro, gear really a matter of personal preference. For mowing and snowblowing hydros are really nice. Some prefer gear drive models over hydros for tilling. Personally, I have used both for tilling. I like hydros...but that is my preference.
__________________


Queen Of The Quietlines!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2018, 09:55 AM
J-Mech's Avatar
J-Mech J-Mech is online now
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oblong, Illinois
Posts: 16,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveshow View Post
Does the 149 come with a hydraulic lift standard? All the more reason to "upgrade" from my 128.

Any reason not to go to a hydro tractor?
Yes, it is standard on the 149.

It's good to have both a hydro and a gear drive. I absolutely hate tilling with a hydro. I hate mowing with a gear drive.
__________________
Jonathan
"They say money doesn't buy happiness....... but it does buy Cub Cadets, and Cub Cadets make me VERY happy!"

Runners: 1050, 1811, 185LB, JD 317
On the "back burner": 2-71's, 1250DS, 1000, 582, 682, 982, JD 318.
I have over 30 implements/attachments! IH, Cub Cadet, Brinly, Agrifab, and more!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2018, 10:28 AM
Steveshow Steveshow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Yes, it is standard on the 149.

It's good to have both a hydro and a gear drive. I absolutely hate tilling with a hydro. I hate mowing with a gear drive.
What is the negative to using a hydro for tilling? My thoughts are that whichever tractor I go with will be mostly for tilling.

I am already pretty well covered for mowing. I have a little over four acres, with more than half "pasture" that I use my Super A with an L59 to mow two or maybe three times a year. I have an old snapper zero turn that works awesome for the "yard". I recently picked up a cub lo boy (not a 154/184) with a 4' belly mower as "backup". I also have five or six old cubs that I inherited from my dad that need resto, but a couple work well enough to run another 4' woods ,mower I have, in case the pasture needs mowing. In addition, dad gave me a troy bilt horse tiller that threw the rod. He fixed the motor (had the case welded and installed a new rod, bearings and rings) but he stalled on getting it back on the tiller due to a blood clot in his leg.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Cub Cadet is a premium line of outdoor power equipment, established in 1961 as part of International Harvester. During the 1960s, IH initiated an entirely new line of lawn and garden equipment aimed at the owners rural homes with large yards and private gardens. There were a wide variety of Cub Cadet branded and after-market attachments available; including mowers, blades, snow blowers, front loaders, plows, carts, etc. Cub Cadet advertising at that time harped on their thorough testing by "boys - acknowledged by many as the world's worst destructive force!". Cub Cadets became known for their dependability and rugged construction.

MTD Products, Inc. of Cleveland, Ohio purchased the Cub Cadet brand from International Harvester in 1981. Cub Cadet was held as a wholly owned subsidiary for many years following this acquisition, which allowed them to operate independently. Recently, MTD has taken a more aggressive role and integrated Cub Cadet into its other lines of power equipment.

This website and forum are not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc, website, and MTD Products Inc, is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: http://www.mtdproducts.com. The information and opinions expressed on this website are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or it's members, & do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc. IH®, INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER® are registered trademark of CNH America LLC

All material, images, and graphics from this site are the property of www.onlycubcadets.net. Any unauthorized use, reproductions, or duplications are prohibited unless solely expressed in writing.

Cub Cadet, Cub, Cadet, IH, MTD, Parts, Tractors, Tractor, International Harvester, Lawn, Garden, Lawn Mower, Kohler, garden tractor equipment, lawn garden tractors, antique garden tractors, garden tractor, PTO, parts, online, Original, 70, 71, 72, 73, 76, SO76, 80, 81, 86, 100, 102, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108,109, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 147, 149, 169, 182, 282, 382, 482, 580, 582, 582 Special, 680, 682, 782, 782D, 784, 800, 805, 882, 982, 984, 986, 1000, 1015, 1100, 1105, 1110, 1200, 1250, 1282, 1450, 1512, 1604, 1605, 1606, 1610, 1615, 1620, 1650, 1710, 1711, 1712, 1806, 1810, 1811, 1812, 1912, 1914.