Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Beviesbits

Default Cub Cadet caught Fire! Use with caution!

My 2 year old Cub Cadet LT1045 lawn tractor burst into flames after using it for about 20 minutes. Has something like this happened to anyone before? Very dissatisfied with Cub Cadet / MTD's response...which was they don't warranty fires! I know, that's just a bogus excuse to get out of honoring their warranty. But at the moment I own a burnt carcass of a mower and my grass is growing higher. Anyone got any input or suggestions on the matter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09645.jpg (32.8 KB, 403 views)
Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Grand Member

Sorry, to see your misfortune. I've seen videos on YouTube of other Cub Cadets being on fire.

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Grand Member

Where did the fire start?
Did you buy it new?
How clean was it under the hood?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator

I just got done reading three pages on this topic on MTF.

The question I have, but didn't see addressed was.......what caused the fire...???

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 08-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Beviesbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
I just got done reading three pages on this topic on MTF.

The question I have, but didn't see addressed was.......what caused the fire...???

I can't tell you what caused the fire. The best conclusion is that it was either a faulty wiring harness as a cub cadet dealer has suggested or perhaps just too much heat from the exhaust and engine underneath a plastic hood. (they have since remodeled this area on their newer tractors) But even without finding out a reason for the fire first, Cub Cadet immediately came back with a reply of fires are not covered, submit to your homeowners policy. That is unacceptable. I'm just tying to find other people in my situation ( which I have found already).
Old 08-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Was it leaking oil? I know they have been replacing the cork gaskets under the valve covers with RTV on A lot of these.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Beviesbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk View Post
Where did the fire start?
Did you buy it new?
How clean was it under the hood?
The fire started in the front...on top??
It was purchased new and was still within the original warranty period.
It was very clean prior to this incident
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09647.jpg (36.0 KB, 376 views)
Old 08-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Administrator

In my line of work, I have seen a lot of burnt wires. I would find it hard to see, that wires would start that kind of fire.

However, the heat from a Muffler or Exhaust is a tremendous source of heat. I can't visualize this design, in that all my Cubs are older models (all metal hoods).

Was there a Heat Shield to protect the plastic hood? Was it intact & in good shape?

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Beviesbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
In my line of work, I have seen a lot of burnt wires. I would find it hard to see, that wires would start that kind of fire.

However, the heat from a Muffler or Exhaust is a tremendous source of heat. I can't visualize this design, in that all my Cubs are older models (all metal hoods).

Was there a Heat Shield to protect the plastic hood? Was it intact & in good shape?
I only stated the faulty wiring because that was a suggestion from a Cub Cadet dealer. I think it's just poor design to have hot exhaust and an engine with a plastic cover over it. And no, there isn't any heat shield...if there was one, it probably wouldn't have caught fire. I guess they figured they could save themselves a few bucks by eliminating this important safety feature.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Grand Member

I agree with Bill...odds are it was an oil or gas that cause the fire. Number #1 problem is how you going to fix or replace it????

I would be checking with my home owners insurance to see if they will cover it. You can get a lawyer to help...long run it will cost you more than what it is worth to replace or repair. Cub Cadet can claim the fuel line has wear on the outside and finally rub deep enough to allow fuel to leak. Another possibility is the oil filter work loose and leaked oil. Oil sending unit could have sprung a leak and cause the fire.

There was a posting on Facebook about a Cub like yours that caught on fire. Not sure if it was yours.....

One thing I do know is a party that keeps bad mouthing a product they better have good proof. They could open themselves up to a lawsuit that will cost more than getting a lawn mower repaired or replaced.
Closed Thread

Tags
cub cadet, fire, home depot, lawn tractor, mtd