Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Onan Engines

Notices

Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Onan Teardown help

Hey Guys, Before anyone points it out.. yes I have been to the Tractor Forum article on "How to rebuild your Onan engine" Yes it's fantastic and very helpful. However I'm stuck in the teardown process at a spot before the Article starts. If anyone could offer some tips or guidance it would be appreciated. I have the Onan out of the tractor finally! I have all of the shrouding completely off. I removed the rear screen and exposed the flywheel. I was able to remove the bolt that holds the flywheel into the Crankshaft but the flywheel it's self will not budge. I am not sure what to do and I don't want to force anything for fear of breaking something. Am I missing something here? Is there some secret bolt or pin holding it in I am not seeing? Also the front PTO will not come off. I have 2 stripped bolts holding it to the engine block. I'm picking up some stripped bolt removal tools tomorrow. However, I can't get the bolt that holds it to the Crankshaft to break loose. Is this a reverse thread or something? Whats the best way to break this seal so i can get the front PTO off and the flywheel off?

1980ish 982 w/ 3pt. & PTO /50C deck - a Work in progress. Brinly Moldboard Plow.

I'm a complete noob at this so please take it easy on me.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Grand Member

you need a puller to remove the flywheel.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogtvpe View Post
you need a puller to remove the flywheel.
Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/636-Distributi...eel+puller+set

1980ish 982 w/ 3pt. & PTO /50C deck - a Work in progress. Brinly Moldboard Plow.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:57 PM

Also I know I will need a gear puller and that it has to be really heavy duty for this. are there any recommendations on a good affordable gear puller that will work for getting that timing gear off?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:29 PM
Grand Member

You can't get the PTO bolt in the crank to come loose? Are you using an air wrench? Just curious, what do you mean stripped bolt removal tools?
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 07-02-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
You can't get the PTO bolt in the crank to come loose? Are you using an air wrench? Just curious, what do you mean stripped bolt removal tools?
don't own an Air Wrench.. looks like I need to purchase one. as for stripped bolt removers. I found these. I'm not sure they will work as the space to get in there is really tight.

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Bolt...d+bolt+remover

Old 07-03-2015, 06:39 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elshiv View Post
don't own an Air Wrench.. looks like I need to purchase one. as for stripped bolt removers. I found these. I'm not sure they will work as the space to get in there is really tight.

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Bolt...d+bolt+remover
So what you are dealing with are stripped heads, not stripped threads. Let me offer a couple of suggestions first if I may. Before you try those removal tools, have you used a 6 point socket? Its pretty rare a 6 point will let the head strip. If a 6pt standard won't grab it, look into driving on a metric socket, 6 or 12 point--whatever fits the tightest. When all else fails try your removal tools. The only time I have had them to work was on bolts with screwdriver slots that were too buggered. Have used them a couple other times on heads that were worn off from something rubbing against it. What you have to watch on those is that they actually screw themselves down over the top of the head, make sure the tool doesn't bottom out against what the bolt is actually holding on. If it does the tool will just slip and shear off more of the head. If possible, post a couple pics of the bolts giving you trouble.

Regarding an air wrench, handy tool to have. For working on lawnmowers a cheap 1/2" drive tool and some 6 point impact sockets should be sufficient. I can't see dropping a ton of money on one just for working on a Cadet.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 07-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Elshiv, that is all good info that Dvogtvpe and John gave. I keep an electric impact wrench on my truck for work so if you don't have a compressor an electric one will work too.

Here is a cheap $15 harmonic balance puller that I use to pull flywheels. So far it has worked every time.
DSC01991.jpg
Old 07-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
So what you are dealing with are stripped heads, not stripped threads. Let me offer a couple of suggestions first if I may. Before you try those removal tools, have you used a 6 point socket? Its pretty rare a 6 point will let the head strip. If a 6pt standard won't grab it, look into driving on a metric socket, 6 or 12 point--whatever fits the tightest. When all else fails try your removal tools. The only time I have had them to work was on bolts with screwdriver slots that were too buggered. Have used them a couple other times on heads that were worn off from something rubbing against it. What you have to watch on those is that they actually screw themselves down over the top of the head, make sure the tool doesn't bottom out against what the bolt is actually holding on. If it does the tool will just slip and shear off more of the head. If possible, post a couple pics of the bolts giving you trouble.

Regarding an air wrench, handy tool to have. For working on lawnmowers a cheap 1/2" drive tool and some 6 point impact sockets should be sufficient. I can't see dropping a ton of money on one just for working on a Cadet.
I just ordered a Dewalt 20V impact wrench. That should help. As for the heads I'm talking about here is a picture. I was able to get 2 of the 4 bolts out. The cone in the picture is the most stripped one. It's in a very tight spot and I don't have a box wrench that will fit in there. I'm using 12 point box wrenches for everything because I know they hold on better. I am going to pick up a 3/8" box non ratchet wrench at sears in a little bit as that is why it won't fit.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Remove the bolt in the center of the PTO and the 3 nuts that hold the brake to the PTO (in yellow) and you should be able the get that nut off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150703_102525.jpg (31.7 KB, 248 views)
BX2670 with FEL