Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 06-27-2021, 11:48 AM

Default Carburetor Rebuild Kit

I have a Cub Cadet LT2180 18 horse B&S V-Twin that runs fine at wide open throttle, but sputters and stumbles at half throttle or less. I'm suspecting dirt in the carburetor.

According to the parts diagrams on the CCpartsnmore.com website, the carb is number BS-809017. I've searched for rebuild kits for that number carburetor, but everything I've found shows carburetors that don't look like mine and don't show the same carb number.

Where is a good place to buy a rebuild kit?
Am I using a valid carb number? Even that website doesn't recognize the number, so I question it's validity, but I've bought other parts using numbers from that website and they were always good before.

I've cleaned and rebuilt numerous carburetors in the past, and I could just take it apart and clean it out and put it back together, but I'd really like to rebuild it if I'm going to the trouble to tear it apart anyway.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
the carb is number BS-809017
That is correct.

You can get parts at your local Cub Cadet or Briggs&Stratton Dealers.

BTW: I did NOT find a general rebuild kit from Cub Cadet. My guess is that B&S does not offer one.

See link: https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/conte...dd5fc10924ce/y

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 06-27-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
That is correct.

You can get parts at your local Cub Cadet or Briggs&Stratton Dealers.

BTW: I did NOT find a general rebuild kit from Cub Cadet. My guess is that B&S does not offer one.

See link: https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/conte...dd5fc10924ce/y

Thanks for looking. That is the same diagram and individual parts that I found. I was hoping to find a kit, but it does not seem to exist.

Thanks again for looking. I'll probably just wing it and tear it apart. I suspect dirt in the idle circuit, I may get by with just a cleaning.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:10 PM
Grand Member

That part number is the carburetor has changed to 843324.

Go here https://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/briggs/...s2263-1204.pdf

Look up your engine spec number. 350400 and up and click on the link to open up the parts manual.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:05 AM
Grand Member

IF your engine is model is 350447, google B&S carb kit 808274 or 842881.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
IF your engine is model is 350447, google B&S carb kit 808274 or 842881.
The engine is model number 350447. I'll try for one of those kits.

Thanks!

The engine is model number 350447. I'll try for one of those kits.

Thanks!

EDIT:
OK, I found carb kits #808274 and also for #842881, but they are very different and both are pricey (over $100 each)

Not sure how to tell which is the right one for my engine without tearing my carb apart to look.

But, I'm getting closer to what I need, thanks for the help.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:49 AM
Grand Member

If I read correctly some of the stuff I looked at, your engine may have come with a Mikuni carb that at some point in production they changed to Nikki carbs.
You're going to have to identify which you have.
Then I would suggest using Briggs and Stratton's website to locate a dealer near you and give them your engine spec and whatever info you can get off your carb.
See what they come up with.
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...-selector.html
Old 06-28-2021, 12:54 PM

I just came in from wiping oil and dirt off all I could and squinting at carburetor numbers.

Anyway, It is a Nikki Carburetor. Says so right on the side.

On the other side the numbers are:
6100 27 -302

808890 3X04

I'm assuming that 808890 is the correct carb number, is that correct?

I also took a few pics:

Just in case it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BS-1.jpg (27.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg BS-2.jpg (27.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-10-2023, 10:58 AM

Just an update on an old, ongoing issue. The problem initially was only at half throttle or less and went away at full throttle. Since I mow at full throttle, I just lived with it. Until lately.

Last week or so it started sputtering at wide open while I was mowing and it seemed to be down on power too, so my "put it off 'til later" strategy had to come to an end. I went to the local Cub Cadet dealer and again asked about a carburetor kit. Still no go. I didn't expect it to have changed, but I had to at least ask. The parts guy told me that he had some internal carburetor parts in stock and could order in some others, so he can probably get what I needed. He then suggested that I go talk to the service manager to see what parts he would suggest I start with.

That turned out to be the best move I've made in quite some time. I wasn't sure the service manager would be willing to talk to an amateur about carburetors, but to my surprise he was very open and willing to share a few tips. He told me that removing the carb required pulling the engine and disassembling most of the top of the motor because it was held on by bolts that came up from the intake manifold. His suggestion was to just take off the top of the carb and clean everything thoroughly. So that's what I did.

I bought a new gasket for the carburetor body and a fuel filter and the parts guy said just call him for anything else I needed after I got a look inside. I proceeded to take the carb apart. There was a little dirt in the bottom of the fuel bowl. I cleaned it good and sprayed the cleaner through every passage I could get at. It was possible to get at more than I expected to with only taking the top off, not taking it completely off.

To get to the point, the expedition was a success. I put it all back together and started it up. Took some cranking because the fuel bowl was empty, but it sputtered to life and ran good. Took it around the yard for test drive at varying throttle settings and the sputtering and surging had gone away. It ran the way it is supposed to and had it's power back.

I've rebuilt plenty of carburetors in the past, but that was years ago and this is a Japanese carb, which I have no experience with, so I was reluctant to tear it apart. I shouldn't have hesitated, the job went better than I had any right to expect.

I have to give a shout out to R.S. Hollinger/Ebling in Mountville Pa. I wasn't going to buy anything new and they knew it, but they couldn't have treated me any better or been more helpful.
Old 07-10-2023, 12:33 PM
Grand Member

We like storys with happy endings....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clap.jpg (11.6 KB, 27 views)