Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 12-17-2020, 07:01 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
I think you been reading too many of my posts.
But I will not derail the train or Roland will get "cranky"
And we know what that means.
Yes, it means he will "turn us over" and us!
Old 12-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Yes, it means he will "turn us over" and us!
We may catch hell but some humor in these times helps.
For a "kid" Roland is a ok,
So for now, we have to figure out how to fix the intermittent cranking.
wondering if he has a sol that is intermittent? a corroded ign switch terminal? just guessing here.
Maybe his 'fancy footwork" is leading us down an evil path, masking the real
problem
Old 12-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
We may catch hell but some humor in these times helps.
For a "kid" Roland is a ok,
So for now, we have to figure out how to fix the intermittent cranking.
wondering if he has a sol that is intermittent? a corroded ign switch terminal? just guessing here.
Maybe his 'fancy footwork" is leading us down an evil path, masking the real
problem
Maybe it's not even electrical. He said something about a hissing sound.
Could it be possibly a leaky carb and you get hydraulic lockup, or valve out of adjustment and compression lockup??
The brake pedal position thing might just be circumstantial.
Just trying to think outside the box. I donno?
Old 12-17-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Maybe it's not even electrical. He said something about a hissing sound.
Could it be possibly a leaky carb and you get hydraulic lockup, or valve out of adjustment and compression lockup??
The brake pedal position thing might just be circumstantial.
Just trying to think outside the box. I donno?
the starter spinning (with out the gear kicking out) sounds alot like hissing...maybe his bendix is corroded or just sticking...although, I have had issues where if it does not get enough current to the starter it wont spin up fast enough to kick out the bendix gear. (stupid english cars! %#@&)
Old 12-17-2020, 01:08 PM

lol!! sorry guys I must sound like one of those people that takes theirs cars to the shop and says

"yeah it's making like this weird noise.... <insert odd description here based on life experience, wild animal noise or some movie reference>"

I'll post a Youtube later of me trying to start it.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:24 PM

Slt1554 has a 27hp kohler courage engine.
It could be valve lash needs set.
Also Very common for the compression release on the cam to fail.

It is also very common for the starters to be crap. I've seen tractors with less than 50 hours with starter problems. It's a very poorly designed starter. And new replacements are supposedly improved but i can't tell how.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the tips, I've been googling all the different things you guys are saying lol...

Ok here is the video of me this morning trying to start it up. As mentioned it's a new interlock switch and a fully charged battery. Usually when it is warmer outside I can eventually get it to go, but I think because it is extra cold this morning it wasn't happening. I have all winter to try and get her going before I call it quits and take it to a shop.
https://youtu.be/MuvGAchTGiw
Old 12-18-2020, 09:20 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfedeleo View Post
Thanks for the tips, I've been googling all the different things you guys are saying lol...

Ok here is the video of me this morning trying to start it up. As mentioned it's a new interlock switch and a fully charged battery. Usually when it is warmer outside I can eventually get it to go, but I think because it is extra cold this morning it wasn't happening. I have all winter to try and get her going before I call it quits and take it to a shop.
https://youtu.be/MuvGAchTGiw
Check your connections that they are bright, clean and tight
( the heavy wires from battery to starter including the solenoid terminals)
and don't forget the Ground at battery and connection to frame.
Do this first.!
but gut feeling is the starter is the problem.
I don't see/hear a wiring/switch problem .
How old is the battery? is it fully charged?
Before condemning the starter, hook jumpers to your vehicle and see if it is a battery problem.
Now get dressed and go to work Ha,LOL
Old 12-18-2020, 10:37 AM
Grand Member

I can't tell in that video whether there is an actual problem or if you are causing it.
Take the spark plugs out and see if it cranks without you jerking the brake back and forth.
I would agree with Ol'George that it looks alot like a starter but I'm leaning towards a valve adjustment or compression release.
That is a Kohler Command engine, not uncommon for the rockers to loosen up.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:42 PM

Ironman, George, Thanks for the direction to start looking. Battery is somewhat old but it was fully charged on a battery tender before taking that video.

Lol George caught the pajamas haha! I get to work from home today so I"m still in them.

The jerkiness on the brake pedal was something I started to do as a habit when it started all going down hill a few months ago. Some times "pumping" it liked that would get it going, but now I know better since I discovered what an interlock switch was and did heh heh. I actually just had it running 2 days ago to haul a few wood rounds.

I will try out those steps in a few weeks and see what happens. Always wanted to try a valve adjustment but never had a reason...Happy Holidays!