Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 12:14 AM

Default Beefiest, heaviest, most powerful cubs???

OK guys, I've gotten to know the 69' and earlier models pretty well. But I know little about the ones built after that.
The gray area is all the following models...ones beyond the 1## models.
I understand the SGT's are alot bigger, and have the 16hp+ kohlers.
Are they singles, or twins?
The question is, I've been contemplating a loader, and maybe building a backhoe. Fabrication and/or buying one or both of those is not the issue. The issue is, my 124, I feel, just isn't big enough to handle what I'd want it to with either attachment. And, I wouldn't want to have to remove either, so that means getting a tractor specifically for this.
I want a no electronics, heavy machine, but don't want to spend more than $1500.00, and it would need to be show ready for that.
What should I look for???
Old 11-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Grand Member

I'd personally get a super with power steering to use with a backhoe and loader. Something like a 1772 or 1872
Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 AM

Me, I would get a small Case Skidsteer, don't know if you'd get 1 for under $1500, but it could do just about anything.
Mouse
1963 Cub Cadet 100
1966 Cub Cadet 122
Old 11-27-2009, 08:47 AM

It sounds like a teramite (sp) might suit your needs. I've even seen them with 4wd but it would probably require a few more bucks. I'd like to see someone build a small backhoe for a cub. If ones already been built, maybe we'll see some pics???

2 cents....Wayne
Old 11-27-2009, 10:04 AM

Stitch mentioned that PF sells the plans for $55.00 I think. I can can get the JD ones that are detachable with the drop down lift arms and everything, but I assume it's too heavy for a smaller machine. Making one isn't an issue. One of my neighbors has a big back hoe/loader that I can copy....he's weird about letting me borrow it. I can't/ won't buy one. Even a 30yr old one is $7000.
It's just for my yard. I need to dig a 10' deep drainage ditch across the front of my house (90"), then down the side to where the first spring comes up so all the water runs down to the lower section of my property, without going THROUGH MY HOUSE.
Then, (the true reason) I need/want to dig out a 1 acre section of lowlands, where the springs pop up, and sit...to make it a cold water trout pond.
It's always wet there......but not wetlands....there's running water...but alot of muck.
The only problem with skidsteers, they're a big bobcat....way too much money.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:05 AM

You might want to think about a full size tractor if your ground is anything like ours here in upstate NY.....THere seem to be a lot of CUB tractors around, and maybe one of them would do the trick for a hoe. If you don't have the tractor weight to push down on the bucket when you are digging ya just won't be able to dig very efficiently.

Ideally a tractor the size of a green 750 is about as small as you can go and be useful. (Unless you live where the ground is sand or soft loam. )

Terramites are incredible machines, normally sold to rental companies.....small yet powerful....but unfortunately you are talking serious $$$$$ to buy. ($10K plus new) THis is one case where renting really can be a good deal if there are just a few projects you need it for.
Quietlines and narrow frames, mostly projects but I mow with a 1200 and have a 122 set up for pulls. Wandering the country bringing towers to wind farms everywhere, and bringing yellow stuff home to Texas. Also into flatfender jeeps.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:18 AM

I looked into renting. It'll cost me $300 for del and p/u. then it's about the same per day. so for two days I'm looking at $1000. Can't get much done in that time. then I'd need time to put down gravel, and corrogated pvc, then I need it again for a day....that's like 4-5 days or $2000 for just the ditch.
Then the pond is a summer long project, alittle here, alittle digging there.
Not worth renting.
Currently don't have the money to buy a big backhoe/loader.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:29 AM

I have a Koehring Backhoe, with a finicky reverser box in it I'd take $3500 for.... Perkins 3 cyl diesel. 16.9 x 24 rears, 4 speed with reverser.. only weighs about 16K and would be a real bugger to ship tho. If you are patient, you should be able to find a better deal up by you... lots of guys are dumping their old machines in favor of rubber tracked escavators....and lots of guys are just plain selling out. A neighbor in TX picked up a Ford 4500 hoe/loader with the engine apart for $750. Gonna cost him a bit to finish it but if he ever does it'll be a good little machine.

I f I was you.. I'd be looking at a rough 184 Cub or similar size unit with loader for about $1500, then find a way to put a small kelly or woods hoe on it. Or I'd be making friends with someone who has what I needed.

I know what ya mean about renting seeming expensive. It seemed a little less expensive when I paid about $750 to redo ONE ram on my Koehring.. No matter what way ya slice it, digging is gonna be spendy.

Good luck!
Quietlines and narrow frames, mostly projects but I mow with a 1200 and have a 122 set up for pulls. Wandering the country bringing towers to wind farms everywhere, and bringing yellow stuff home to Texas. Also into flatfender jeeps.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:32 AM

I just noticed you need a 10 foot deep ditch... That will take a big machine, not a terramite or woods 750...
Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 AM

I'm with ya. In the end, I'll spend the same....alittle more to own one....with unlimited use. Then, worst comes to worse, I could sell it when done, even just unload it cheap to get some $ back. It's just not worth renting for what I want/need to do.
Right now I'm not ready to start purchasing, but making plans to by beginning of summer.