Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 07-09-2020, 02:03 PM

Default 129 hydro lever creeps back to "Neutral"

Hi Gang,

I am already grateful for your advice. Last week I adjusted a bunch of stuff, arrested a some nasty vibrations, and greased a bunch of dry linkage. My "new to me" '72 129 is a great machine.

Our property is very hilly. The max hills are about 20 degrees and a lot of it is about 10 degrees. So I am very careful when mowing, and I put 100lbs of wheel weight on the rear to keep my C of G lower.

Lately, when climbing up a hill, my lever moves from F back toward N. If I dont stabilize it with my left hand, I will often lose forward motion. I believe that the fluid and filter are good, and I am wondering if my lubrication of the undercarriage linkages has created this problem. The machine, in general, has tons of power and speed. (note: it's engine is a 1992)

Is there a way to increase friction in the "F-N-R" linkage so that it stops creeping back to N? Or maybe I should take some degreaser and "dry out" a bit of the grease I added. I have consulted the Service Manual, but I cannot find my problem addressed. Cheers,

-Christopher
Old 07-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Click on this link.......... Lever

Click on the Chassis Service Manual as indicated, and look on pages 2-55 & 2-56.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 07-10-2020, 06:29 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherCT View Post

Our property is very hilly. The max hills are about 20 degrees and a lot of it is about 10 degrees.

Lately, when climbing up a hill, my lever moves from F back toward N. If I dont stabilize it with my left hand, I will often lose forward motion.
I had a 149 that did that,, so I went to a JD dealer,, when the 430 JD was new,,
(That was JD's version of a Super Cub Cadet)

I asked the salesman to demonstrate how the 430 could go up a hill,, without the lever going back to neutral,,
this is on a brand new machine,, mind you,

The salesman drove the 430 up an incline, the lever went to neutral.

The salesman stated the machine simply needed an adjustment,,

I said,, I have my checkbook ready, adjust the machine so it will go up an incline,, I will buy it,,

That was 30 years ago,, I am STILL waiting for delivery,,, of that "adjusted machine"

Plan on holding the lever on steep grades,,,
Old 07-10-2020, 09:05 AM

I mow with my hand on the control all the time. Figured that was just
normal. Kinda like your foot on the gas pedal of the car. It's always making
adjustments for the grade or the potholes or whatever the conditions require.

Ken
Old 07-12-2020, 10:20 PM

I thank the three of you for the advice! Sorry for the delay- the weekend got full of I-don't-know-what.

Roland, I will surely look at the adjustments outlined in the service manual. That looks like exactly what I need. They are very specific about the ft lbs it should take to move that lever! When I'm done, and if it still drifts a little, well thats fine. But it's drifting a lot. I will soon try to make the adjustments and will write back with results
Old 07-12-2020, 10:23 PM

And to Ken and Cad- yes, it makes sense to make regular speed adjustments. But coming to a dead stop while you are climbing an uneven hill (and wanting both hands on the wheel) can be alarming!
Old 08-18-2020, 09:07 AM

Mr Bedell and others,

Thanks again. Last week I things up and jacked my 129 up to have a good look at things. I was able to tighten up that VERY small collar that creates friction on the speed control lever shaft. That was a big improvement. While in there, I replaced a very worn ball end on the steering linkage. Its steering has always been very sloppy during my ownership (about 1/5 of a steering wheel turn of play), and I can see about seven small reasons for this. I was quickly able to improve about four of them, and that's good enough for me right now! The improvement is quite noticeable. I still do many speed adjustments depending on the hills, but at least it does not wander back to Neutral

Thanks Again. -Christopher
Old 08-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Good to hear that you got that fixed.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 03-12-2021, 10:42 PM

Question I have a 127 that is doing the same thing with the transmission control lever.

I have a 127 that is doing the same thing with the transmission control lever. I recently lost my husband Jingles. He always did all the work on the tractors. I love this tractor but I am unable to drive it as the control lever is let’s say uncontrollable. I have a newer Cub Cadet in the garage but I love this old one. I was wondering if there was someone local from Pennsylvania that would be willing to work on my said tractor. I am retired and can’t afford, A large price tag that a garage would charge. If it is going to be too expensive I will sell the whole lot which is mower deck and plow.Anyone out there could put me in the right direction on someone that can help me I’d appreciate it I know another lover of Cub Cadet would not let me get ripped off. Thank you guys very much.
Email is: astrokeofcolor@zoominternet.net.

Nancy
Old 03-13-2021, 11:34 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherCT View Post
Mr Bedell and others,

Thanks again. Last week I things up and jacked my 129 up to have a good look at things. I was able to tighten up that VERY small collar that creates friction on the speed control lever shaft. That was a big improvement. While in there, I replaced a very worn ball end on the steering linkage. Its steering has always been very sloppy during my ownership (about 1/5 of a steering wheel turn of play), and I can see about seven small reasons for this. I was quickly able to improve about four of them, and that's good enough for me right now! The improvement is quite noticeable. I still do many speed adjustments depending on the hills, but at least it does not wander back to Neutral

Thanks Again. -Christopher
Have you looked at your trunnion on the hydro? Often the spring slot is worn and the springs get week. Making the repairs there will improve speed control and make speeds up and down hills more consistent. There is stuff in the tech library about repairing the trunnion. It's a common problem. Here: https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/...ead.php?t=4635

As to mowing grass on hilly property, I've always found the gear drives a better choice.

b

Tags
129, hydro