Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-18-2021, 06:16 PM
Grand Member

What did I say??
Old 06-19-2021, 09:46 AM

You nailed it. It was the bearing as you predicted.

My mechanical skills are average at best and since I bought the 1862 to use at my cabin in Wisconsin I was looking for a quick repair.

The Cadet dealer charged me $75 which I didn't think was too bad. Heck, I probably would have done that much damage trying to get the clutch off.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:37 AM
Grand Member

You're lucky to have a dealer that would repair the pto.
Nowadays, all they want to do is replace with new, because that's all they know how to do.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:31 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
You're lucky to have a dealer that would repair the pto.
Nowadays, all they want to do is replace with new, because that's all they know how to do.
I second that!
Old 06-19-2021, 12:22 PM

My dealer is an "old school" Cub Cadet dealer. They are in a small town in SE Minnesota that were an International Harvester dealer up until the merger with case. They kept the Cub Cadet line and some farm equipment sales and they are quite busy with repair of the older Farmall and International tractors and equipment. The business is in a building probably built 75 years ago so their overhead is quite low. Their service labor rate is $75 an hours vs $120 which the John Deere and Case IH dealerships charge.

They deal with farmers who look at that clutch and see a $10 bearing with $75 for labor vs. $500 new pto clutch from Cub Cadet.

Having grown up in the 1960s its kind of refreshing to do business with these guys. The parts guy can be the sales guy, service tech and the owner, all at the same time. If you go into most of the Cub Cadet dealerships and talk to the parts guy he probably will struggle to understand what an 1862 tractor is.

So yes, I am pleased that there is a dealership that is open to a repair instead of a replacement.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:00 PM

I mowed with the 1862 today and had a great time. Initially, the mower wanted to shut off as I moved forward. But eventually it started to behave and the 31 year old tractor performed quite well.

I noticed that the power steering ball joint that attaches to the power steering arm needs replacement. Cub Cadet is quite proud of this part as they are asking $67.90 for it. Does anyone know of a supplier that might offer a little discount. I don't want an inferior product so I will pay the price if necessary.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2021, 07:14 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure which one you are talking about but most everyone goes here for them.
https://www.mcmaster.com/rod-ends/?S...InpBox=rod+end

I'm glad your machine is back up and running. There aren't many dealerships left in this world that would have repaired that PTO especially with your parts. I hope they stay in business a long time because they sound like a great company.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:59 AM

They probably don't have the customer routinely bring their own parts however, since they have struggled of recent to find replacement bearings for the clutch they were okay with me getting my own bearing. I had offered them the item # from Amazon that was suggested here so they told me that since I had the # to go ahead and get the part rather than add the "middle man".

I'm pretty sure that if they had quick access to the correct bearing they would secured the bearings themselves.

Again, this is an old school dealership that understands customer service. Sure, they could have demanded that they get the part and add some profit but they knew I had some interest in getting the mower going quickly.

Perhaps if the other dealerships understood that forgoing a few bucks of profit in order for the customer to walk away with a great feeling makes good business sense.