Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 06-01-2021, 09:18 AM

Question LGT1054 - Will crank but not start

Hello there. I found you guys through many, MANY of the Google searches over the last week. I am hoping someone with more knowledge than me on small engines can help point me in the right direction.

Tractor is a LGT1054 and has a Kohler 7000 series engine.
75% full of fuel (so yes I have gas in the tank! LOL).
Oil level is correct.
PTO switch disengaged. Parking brake engaged.

All this year thus far, in order to start the tractor, I would have to hook it up to an amp charger / engine starter. It would barely crank, but eventually I could get it to start. Then I manually had to push it about 50 ft. into my garage to start the process of fixing it because no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the damn thing to start.

So, given the battery issue, my first replacement was the solenoid. Still having trouble getting it to crank over, even hooked up to the charger. So I replaced the battery with a brand new one. No change. Went through and replaced the oil and the oil filter as well as the fuel filter and air filter. Traced all the wires I could and cleaned connections. No luck.

The next thing I replaced were the spark plugs. Ensured they were gapped properly. No change. Then I replaced the starter. This is where we saw a MAJOR improvement in the cranking (so I needed the starter replaced regardless of it not fixing the issue). The engine cranks beautifully and is definitely getting power. I used choke and carb cleaner as well as engine starter. After numerous attempts to start it I do have to put it on the charger/starter because the battery seems depleted. So at this point the engine is cranking but not starting.

I even went so far as to clean the ignition module connected to the spark plugs and the flywheel surface with Emery cloth to ensure that both the flywheel and the ignition module were free of any rust or corrosion. Still only cranks, does not start.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. I'm pretty handy and understand electrical diagrams and the troubleshooting process. I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give.

All parts replaced were replaced with OEM parts directly from my local Cub Cadet dealer. All parts replaced:

Solenoid
Oil
Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs (2)
Starter

Please send help. Grass continues to grow and there is just way too much to cut by hand with a mower.

Angela (Angie)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:03 AM
Administrator

First, welcome to OCC...........

Couple of questions...

(A) How old is this tractor ??

(B) When was the last time it operated correctly ??

(C) When the engine rolls over, does it roll over normal, or slower then normal ??

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 06-01-2021, 10:23 AM

Question More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
First, welcome to OCC...........

Couple of questions...

(A) How old is this tractor ??

(B) When was the last time it operated correctly ??

(C) When the engine rolls over, does it roll over normal, or slower then normal ??
2014 Model

2 years ago? Thats when we had no issue starting it short of maybe a drained battery.

The engine cranks beautifully. It does not "turn over" atm though.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Just so we understand this correctly, when you turn the key, the engine does NOT roll over ??

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 06-01-2021, 12:37 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
Just so we understand this correctly, when you turn the key, the engine does NOT roll over ??

When the ignition key is turned, there is power to the engine but no combustion. The fan above the flywheel spins smoothly and you can tell that the engine is getting power. This improved drastically when I replaced the starter. I get no further then the fan spinning and a "crank" from the engine. I hope that makes sense.

Old 06-01-2021, 01:05 PM
Grand Member

Did you check for spark across the plugs?
Old 06-01-2021, 08:08 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadslingingdaddy View Post
Did you check for spark across the plugs?
Yes. Not only was that checked but there are 2 brand new spark plugs on it. And yes, they are gapped correctly.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:49 PM

Get a generic can of 'carb cleaner' from an auto parts store, or Walmart.

Remove the air cleaner cover and remove the air cleaner filter.

Locate the carb inlet, insure the choke on the throttle is OFF.(choke plate is parallel to the carb throat).

With the red straw on the carb cleaner can, spritz a few shots of carb cleaner into the carb inlet.

Sit on the mower, open throttle to half, and crank engine.

It should fire and run for a few seconds then die.

If it fires, locate the solenoid on the bottom of the carb float bowl with two wires going to it. Remove the connector with two wires.

CAREFULLY, using two jumper wires and two opened paper clips, stick the negative into one of the slots on the solenoid bottom, then touch the positive wire and paper clip to the other slot. You should hear and feel a 'click' as the solenoid coil pulls the slug down and allows fuel to flow into the jet.

If you hear the 'click' when you jumper the solenoid, you will need to have the carb taken off and troubleshoot no fuel. If you do not hear the click, the solenoid has gone bad, and will need to be replaced. Some can be field replaced, and some require a carb replacement.

However, what I do now is I remove the solenoid, pinch off the fuel line, find a short bolt(or make one) with the proper thread as the solenoid thread and a copper washer and leave the solenoid off, and plug the threaded hole with the short bolt and copper washer. However, it appears Kohler embeds the main fuel jet into the solenoid, so it can't just be plugged.

edit to add: This may be your solenoid with only one wire: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carbureto...6&gclsrc=3p.ds

If so, just touch the positive batt terminal to the red wire of the solenoid and listen for the 'click' sound. This may also be why your batt is running down, if that solenoid is live all the time. fiddle with it, and see if you can make it click and stop clicking by touching the red wire to the batt plus term.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:52 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmirror View Post
Get a generic can of 'carb cleaner' from an auto parts store, or Walmart.

Remove the air cleaner cover and remove the air cleaner filter.

Locate the carb inlet, insure the choke on the throttle is OFF.(choke plate is parallel to the carb throat).

With the red straw on the carb cleaner can, spritz a few shots of carb cleaner into the carb inlet.

Sit on the mower, open throttle to half, and crank engine.

It should fire and run for a few seconds then die.

If it fires, locate the solenoid on the bottom of the carb float bowl with two wires going to it. Remove the connector with two wires.

CAREFULLY, using two jumper wires and two opened paper clips, stick the negative into one of the slots on the solenoid bottom, then touch the positive wire and paper clip to the other slot. You should hear and feel a 'click' as the solenoid coil pulls the slug down and allows fuel to flow into the jet.

If you hear the 'click' when you jumper the solenoid, you will need to have the carb taken off and troubleshoot no fuel. If you do not hear the click, the solenoid has gone bad, and will need to be replaced. Some can be field replaced, and some require a carb replacement.

However, what I do now is I remove the solenoid, pinch off the fuel line, find a short bolt(or make one) with the proper thread as the solenoid thread and a copper washer and leave the solenoid off, and plug the threaded hole with the short bolt and copper washer. However, it appears Kohler embeds the main fuel jet into the solenoid, so it can't just be plugged.

edit to add: This may be your solenoid with only one wire: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carbureto...6&gclsrc=3p.ds

If so, just touch the positive batt terminal to the red wire of the solenoid and listen for the 'click' sound. This may also be why your batt is running down, if that solenoid is live all the time. fiddle with it, and see if you can make it click and stop clicking by touching the red wire to the batt plus term.
I used both choke/carb cleaner and engine starting fluid....... neither made it fire. I will note that my father also helped me at this point in the process (he taught me how to use the choke/carb cleaner and engine starting fluid) and even he couldn't get it to fire at all. Could that still be related to the carb solenoid?
Old 06-02-2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by als_84 View Post
I used both choke/carb cleaner and engine starting fluid....... neither made it fire. I will note that my father also helped me at this point in the process (he taught me how to use the choke/carb cleaner and engine starting fluid) and even he couldn't get it to fire at all. Could that still be related to the carb solenoid?
No. I think you have a spark issue.

Remove spark plugs.

Ground the barrel to the engine case.

Sit on mower, crank engine look for a blue-white spark on both plugs.

Tags
kohler 7000, lgt1054