Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > Gardens, Lawns and Landscapes

Notices

Old 08-07-2018, 03:16 PM

Default Zucchini - Blooming - Not Fruiting

So I've got an odd predicament.

I've had a garden for 16 years now, and have never had this issue. My zucchini is blooming, but no vegetable ever comes behind the bloom. They have been blooming for two months now. Plants are green, healthy, and blooming heavily. I fertilized twice. Once at planting (from seed) and once at first bloom appearance. I have squash planted next to it and it is producing fine. The bloom will bud, open up, and then the next day it will wither and fall off of the plant. There are no bugs or pests visible and nothing is eating on them. I do not water them because we have gotten a healthy level of rain this summer. Also, it has not rained too much.

Any ideas?

1971 126 w/ Brinly Sleeve Hitch, Plow, Discs, and Cultivator

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50159
Old 08-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Grand Member

With that plant, I would bet the seed is some hybrid that is sterile.

It was just a fluke of pollination.

Many plants do not like to produce from a cross pollination,,,
Old 08-07-2018, 07:25 PM

I had the same issue before and read about how you may have to pollinate them yourself. I googled and found instructions what to do with a qtip. I also made sure to make buzzing noises so the plants would think I'm just a bee. I don't remember if it worked or not.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Banned

Have you had a lot of rain? Too much at the wrong time, or when it is trying to pollinate can do that. My green beans, and several other peoples in the area, did that exact thing this year. I save my own seed, so it's from last year's crop. I mowed them down and replanted in July. I'll tell you in a few weeks if this crop produces anything.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Grand Member

If they continue to not fruit, try doing some deep fried zuc blossoms !
Old 08-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
These work well for a deep fried breading delivery system...
#2 cart
GREEN 314 with integral sleeve hitch, H2 and independent brake upgrade from a 317, and front hydraulic blade, 48" deck
Old 08-08-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
With that plant, I would bet the seed is some hybrid that is sterile.

Very Possible I guess. I didn't get the Zucchini or Squash from the COOP this year. This seed actual came from a big box, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is a bad hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
I had the same issue before and read about how you may have to pollinate them yourself. I googled and found instructions what to do with a qtip. I also made sure to make buzzing noises so the plants would think I'm just a bee. I don't remember if it worked or not.
Haha. I'll be sure to make the buzzing sounds. I did some light reading myself, and did find that there are male and female blooms on zucchini, so there is an issue if you only have male blooms and no females, or vice versa. They also mentioned pollinated them yourself with a QTip if you have no bees present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Have you had a lot of rain? Too much at the wrong time, or when it is trying to pollinate can do that. My green beans, and several other peoples in the area, did that exact thing this year. I save my own seed, so it's from last year's crop. I mowed them down and replanted in July. I'll tell you in a few weeks if this crop produces anything.
There were some levels on inconsistency in rain early in the summer. A few days where we got rain very heavy, and then there a few dry weeks, then another heavy rain. Overall it hasn't been too bad though. I ruled the rain issue out because my squash was fine, but perhaps it could have had something to do with it. I think I will try to get a second crop in of the zucchini, just as you are doing with your beans. Hopefully I can get them in the ground in time so they have time to produce prior to frost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Can you send me the recipe? haha

1971 126 w/ Brinly Sleeve Hitch, Plow, Discs, and Cultivator

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50159
Old 08-12-2018, 08:00 PM

Talk to a local bee keeper and see if you can borrow a hive , that may solve your Zucchini problem you also might get some honey
oz
Old 12-13-2020, 06:27 AM

I'm not sure a couple of bees may solve the problem. I remember once I had the same situation, but I just decided to seed other zucchini and that's all.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:59 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asenerne43 View Post
I'm not sure a couple of bees may solve the problem. I remember once I had the same situation, but I just decided to seed other zucchini and that's all.
I see you are new,
FYI:
usually replying to posts that are over a year old, are a moot point as the problem is usually long since rectified.