Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-25-2022, 09:57 PM

Default Some 2000 series GT have been reclassified as LT?

I've noticed on both TractorData and TractorGearBox websites that some of the higher end 2000 series (specifically the 2166 and 2186) that were once listed as "Garden Tractor" are now listed as "Lawn Tractor". What gives?

They have the bigger wheels and higher HP engines, same as their counterparts that are still listed as "garden tractors" (specifically the 2165 and 2185). Then you have the sales flyers from down-under that advertise ALL of the 2000 series as "garden tractors".

Was the 2000 series just so whack that they didn't know WTF to classify them as?
Old 06-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Administrator

You realize that Tractor Data is NOT an authoritative type of site, but information as sent it by contributors, and the site's Editor(s).

Never heard of TractorGearBox.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 06-26-2022, 08:23 AM

I understand that, but these are sites most people use and it's going to get them misled. Especially on some of the older tractors that aren't even listed on the cub cadet website anymore.

TractorGearBox has more technical information about the engines and transmissions, which TractorData is lacking.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:57 AM

Question

I have limited experience with the 2000 series, but can they perform garden tractor duties such as running/dragging a plow without grenading the transaxle? I have used them for mower duty, and they perform well in that arena. At least they are shaft driven..

The TractorGearbox site is definitely more informative in relation to technical specifications. I too did not know of it's existence.

582, 682, 782, 782D, 1282, 1050, 1210 x 2, 1711, and 1811
Old 06-26-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalArianne View Post
I've noticed on both TractorData and TractorGearBox websites that some of the higher end 2000 series (specifically the 2166 and 2186) that were once listed as "Garden Tractor" are now listed as "Lawn Tractor". What gives?

They have the bigger wheels and higher HP engines, same as their counterparts that are still listed as "garden tractors" (specifically the 2165 and 2185). Then you have the sales flyers from down-under that advertise ALL of the 2000 series as "garden tractors".

Was the 2000 series just so whack that they didn't know WTF to classify them as?
2166 was Never Listed as a Garden Tractor By MTD(Lowes id Put it Under the marketing as a Garden tractor in 2003). It was always Marketed By MTD as a Lawn Tractor. But it had the same Transmission that was Found On a 2186 or 2206 Basically the Pre-2011 2000 series Lawn Tractors were Basically the same as the pre-2011 2000 series Garden tractors except with smaller Rear Rimes and Tires, and They were Marketed as Lawn Tractors. Because Cub Cadet did Not Market the 28-Inch Mechanical Tiller or 30-inch Hydraulic Tiller as fitting. But If You Put Larger rear tires and rims of the 23X rear tires from a 2206/2186 On a 2166. Those attachments would fit and Operate Properly. Had a Member 10 or 12 Year ago On MTF that Ran a 2155 with Larger rims and rear Tires and a 28-inch Mechanical tiller On it from the Time it was new. MTD at the time In the 1990s when The 2000 series Came Out wanted it to compete against the Premium Line of Lawn Tractors Made By Other Brands such as Deere, Simplicity (Broadmoor Heart of a Garden tractor) & Toro (260 series Basically a Yard Tractor K61 trans But was Capable of Using a Tiller) and Bolens(ST series Capable of Using a Tiller) at the time as well as
Deere LX100 it gimmick was they Had Liquid cooled models. MTD wanted a shaft driven Lawn Tractor as the selling feature or Gimmick. Hence they Put the same Transmission In the 2130 through 2155 That was Used In the 2160,2165 and 2185 But with smaller rear rims and Tires On the Lower hp single cylinder 2000 series Models and marketed it as a Shaft driven Lawn Tractor to Be the Premium Line Of Lawn Tractors 2164 was the Only smaller Rear tire Lawn Tractor Marketed as Being able to Take the 28-inch Mechanical PTO tiller supposedly do to it's Twin cylinder engine

I also will tell New People On the other forums I am on don't depend on the Tractor data as it Not always 100% accurate. I find a lot of Misrepresented Information On it as Being representative of Fact. There Is also a Lot of Inaccurate Information In Oscar H Will's Unofficial Guide to Cub Cadets the first 40 or 50 Years, such as stating the Hydraulic tiller was run off the Hydrostatic Transmission when it was run By either a belt driven or shaft driven PTO Pump depending On weather You Had a 2000, 2500 or 3000 series tractor. I find His Fact checking to Be a Little Poor On some of his statements

But Both Tractor date and That Book our a decent Guide to Help New Cub Cadet Owners or get started On the search and find Forums Like this where Many Members really have studied their Tractors To Know when Tractor Date or That Book is off on its Information.

Some Years ago, I started a Garden tractor Book On about 42 different Brands of Garden tractor. I have since shelved it as I Just don't have the time to work on it, Probably until I retire for the Last time. But I have Met with Many former Now deceased Small Tractor design engineers from Many small Tractor Manufacturers as well as the Manufacturer that are still in Business. AS I wanted the Book to Be as accurate as I could get it. But I also expanded it into 2-Wheel Tractors and Compacts. But Maybe in a few Years I get Back to it
Old 06-27-2022, 06:59 AM
Administrator

I agree with Sergeant with respect to those "other sites".

I have used Tractor Data numerous times, but have found inaccuracies many times. I went to TractorGearBox.com and looked up the Cub Cadet 782 and found inaccurate information there also. Conclusion, that TractorGearBox & Tractor Data maybe a good resources for general data, it is NOT Gospel.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 06-27-2022, 09:17 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
2166 was Never Listed as a Garden Tractor By MTD(Lowes id Put it Under the marketing as a Garden tractor in 2003). It was always Marketed By MTD as a Lawn Tractor. But it had the same Transmission that was Found On a 2186 or 2206 Basically the Pre-2011 2000 series Lawn Tractors were Basically the same as the pre-2011 2000 series Garden tractors except with smaller Rear Rimes and Tires, and They were Marketed as Lawn Tractors. Because Cub Cadet did Not Market the 28-Inch Mechanical Tiller or 30-inch Hydraulic Tiller as fitting. But If You Put Larger rear tires and rims of the 23X rear tires from a 2206/2186 On a 2166. Those attachments would fit and Operate Properly. Had a Member 10 or 12 Year ago On MTF that Ran a 2155 with Larger rims and rear Tires and a 28-inch Mechanical tiller On it from the Time it was new. MTD at the time In the 1990s when The 2000 series Came Out wanted it to compete against the Premium Line of Lawn Tractors Made By Other Brands such as Deere, Simplicity (Broadmoor Heart of a Garden tractor) & Toro (260 series Basically a Yard Tractor K61 trans But was Capable of Using a Tiller) and Bolens(ST series Capable of Using a Tiller) at the time as well as
Deere LX100 it gimmick was they Had Liquid cooled models. MTD wanted a shaft driven Lawn Tractor as the selling feature or Gimmick. Hence they Put the same Transmission In the 2130 through 2155 That was Used In the 2160,2165 and 2185 But with smaller rear rims and Tires On the Lower hp single cylinder 2000 series Models and marketed it as a Shaft driven Lawn Tractor to Be the Premium Line Of Lawn Tractors 2164 was the Only smaller Rear tire Lawn Tractor Marketed as Being able to Take the 28-inch Mechanical PTO tiller supposedly do to it's Twin cylinder engine

I also will tell New People On the other forums I am on don't depend on the Tractor data as it Not always 100% accurate. I find a lot of Misrepresented Information On it as Being representative of Fact. There Is also a Lot of Inaccurate Information In Oscar H Will's Unofficial Guide to Cub Cadets the first 40 or 50 Years, such as stating the Hydraulic tiller was run off the Hydrostatic Transmission when it was run By either a belt driven or shaft driven PTO Pump depending On weather You Had a 2000, 2500 or 3000 series tractor. I find His Fact checking to Be a Little Poor On some of his statements

But Both Tractor date and That Book our a decent Guide to Help New Cub Cadet Owners or get started On the search and find Forums Like this where Many Members really have studied their Tractors To Know when Tractor Date or That Book is off on its Information.

Some Years ago, I started a Garden tractor Book On about 42 different Brands of Garden tractor. I have since shelved it as I Just don't have the time to work on it, Probably until I retire for the Last time. But I have Met with Many former Now deceased Small Tractor design engineers from Many small Tractor Manufacturers as well as the Manufacturer that are still in Business. AS I wanted the Book to Be as accurate as I could get it. But I also expanded it into 2-Wheel Tractors and Compacts. But Maybe in a few Years I get Back to it
Get cracking on it
1282 | 44C Deck, Chains, 42" Blade, Cast Weights, 020" Over K301 * 1711 | 50C Deck, #1 Rear Rototiller w/ Extensions, Sleeve Hitch, KT17S Series II 24302 --> CH18S * 1811 | 46 GT Deck, 42" Blade, Chains, M18 Magnum, Sleeve Hitch * 1782 | 60" #375 Deck, Kubota D640 Diesel * 1862 | #450 Snowblower, M18 Magnum * 782 | Y/W KT17 Series II, Sleeve Hitch * 984 | Y/W Onan/Linamar 20HP, Sims Cab, CAT 0 3 PT w/ Rear PTO, 60" #374 Deck
Old 06-27-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post

The 2186 LT is near identical to the 2185 GT. It has the bigger 23in rear wheels, but the smaller 15in front wheels. Same engine as the 2185, except it has the Sunstrand hydro instead of the BDU-10L. I guess the smaller front wheels and different hydro classifies it as a LT instead of a GT??? I really don't get why minute changes reclassify the entire tractor as one or the other...
Old 06-27-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalArianne View Post
The 2186 LT is near identical to the 2185 GT. It has the bigger 23in rear wheels, but the smaller 15in front wheels. Same engine as the 2185, except it has the Sunstrand hydro instead of the BDU-10L. I guess the smaller front wheels and different hydro classifies it as a LT instead of a GT??? I really don't get why minute changes reclassify the entire tractor as one or the other...
2186 was also marketed as a GT at the time I bought My 2206. I went with the 2206 Because of the 48-inch deck as standard. Dealer would have even put any deck size That MTD offered at the time. Because that was what He did for his customers.

What does it really Matter with what the Manufacturer calls it when It Basically had the same Transmission IE 2166, 2186, 2206 even the 2518 Had the same Hydrostatic Pump But Had a Cast Iron case instead of and aluminum Case all had BDU 10 Pumps. They Just Put smaller rims & Tires On Many of the 2000 series Tractors To Market them as Lawn Tractors, when In Fact they were Basically the same as the Bigger rear tire ones Marketed as Garden tractors. The standard Lawn Tractor tires across the Market at the time were 20X for Most Premium Line Lawn Tractors(Deere, Simplicity, ETC). Sears was still using 18X on the rears Of Many of their Lawn Tractors at the time.

Why get so bent out of shape On what the Manufacturer does for Marketing the Machine. When You Know it just as capable as the One Marketed as a Garden tractor. Just Put Bigger rear rims and 23X tires On Your 2155, and it becomes a Garden tractor Or Coarse, that is not always the Case with some Brands. But That was the Case with the Cub Cadet Pre-2011 2000 series In 1994 the Murray GT sold at Montgomery Wards had 20X10 rear tires Instead of the standard 23X rear tires that were common across the Garden tractor world and Before that Murray had Been Using 23X rear tires. In 1993 On Most of their Garden tractor models. White In the Late 1970s early 1980s Marketed a Lawn, Garden tractor(LTG) with rear 18X9.50 tires, and It Had a sleeve Hitch and a Sleeve Hitch separate engine tiller for it even sold a 10-inch Plow for it.

BTW Look at all the serial Number Breaks and You will see the BDU10 Pump was Used On all 2185 Tractor transmissions Sundstrand Transmission for Off Road Vehicles Is Hydro-Gear today Sundstrand sold Off its Off Road Transmission division to Agri-Fab and Agri-Fab and Sauer Danfoss Formed Hydro-Gear through a Partnership In Sullivan, IL. BDU 10 Pump was actually developed by Sundstrand so was the BDU 21.

Sundstarnd Just wanted to focus On The Aerospace Industry. Yes In Product Literature In the 1990's You will see Transmissions Label as Both Sundstrand and -Hydro-Gear But there were the same company at that time
Old 06-27-2022, 12:32 PM

Look Up this Part Number HG-2513036 Under Part# On the Cub Cadet Parts diagrams Of there parts section of the Cub website You will see the same Pump Being Used from 2135 to today's XT3 GSX