Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Customized Cub Cadets

Notices

Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 AM

Default Diesel repower

I have been kicking around the idea of doing a diesel re-power to one of my wide frame cubs for a while and I'm wanting some insight from you guys that have done them. So here are some questions that I'm wondering about in order to pull this off.

Which engine did you go with and why?

Did you get a wiring harness with the engine and modified it to the cub or did you make your own?

What frame mounting and drive coupling mods did you have to do to get the power to the wheels?

Any transmission mods involved?

PTO and implement drive connections?

I want to do this to either the 1650 with its worn out engine or to the 108 that grenaded its engine. I like the hydro lift of the 1650 but appreciate the simplicity of the gear trans of the 108. Either way both are close in design and require modifications to accommodate a diesel power plant. And I have it narrowed down to either a new two cylinder Kubota or a two cylinder Yanmar at the same cost of a new k341 from Kohler. Also the one that will end up with the diesel will be exempt from mowing duty as I have another for that purpose. However it will be my primary sleeve hitch tractor and potentially use the sickle bar mower. Now with purposes in mind and my questions on how to accomplish this task are at hand I would love to hear your feedback!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:52 AM
Banned

My personal opinion is if you have to ask how to do something of that scale, you probably don't need to attempt it. If you can't roll with whatever a build like that throws at you, figure it out and move on, then you'll likely end up with a lot of money sunk into an unfinished build. You'll then try to sell to recoup and end up back at square 1.

That said, I have put repowers in lots of different things. Some are easy, some harder. I have a D600 Kubota sitting awaiting installation into a 582. D600 is what Cub Cadet used, I chose that engine out of chance. It was for sale reasonably priced so I bought it. When I do install it, I will post pics, but not questions.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:44 AM
Grand Member

Sounds like a fun project dieseldan123. There's a guy in town here that has done a couple with 3 cylinder kubotas for pulling. The top picture in this link is two of his tractors;

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...27&postcount=1

The bottom picture in this one is him pulling;

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...30&postcount=3

Hope some others chime in as I would enjoy the discussion.

Good luck
Old 01-25-2016, 10:55 AM

i am building a model 72 with a kubota z482 right now.......actually im finishing my 169 moreso, but i plan to have that wrapped up in a couple weeks and itll be full on diesel time...building a nice clutch for it too, and i have a radiator out of a honda goldwing with an electric fan that im going to use, all i need to make left is a drive hub that comes off the crank pulley
Old 01-25-2016, 10:59 AM

oops, left to make i meant.....im looking for some plain old steel 14"x7" rims with 5 on 4.25" bolt pattern if anyone knows of any??? or any rear fenders off of an old economy???
Old 01-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Administrator

A few things you need to consider before you jump into this. The 1650 is at least 37 years old and other things will need to be rebuilt or replaced besides the engine.

1: Cooling system, location and the means to run a fan.
2: Drive shaft will be a one of a kind that you’ll need to build from scratch.
3: Electrical system will need to be built from scratch
4: You’ll need a PTO of some sort in order to run a sickle bar mower
5: Fuel system will be a one of a kind and you’ll probably need an electric transfer pump, a custom tank with provisions for a fuel return line.
6: Motor mounts will need to be fabricated and it may be challenging to get the engine low enough in the frame to allow for proper drive line angles.
7: Exhaust system will need to be designed and fabricated.
8: If you decide on the gear drive then you add in the complexity of some sort of a clutch.

I trust that you own or have access to tools like a welder, cutting torch, machine shop to make special parts and that you have the skills necessary to complete this project.

Just my 2 cents but I think when you’re all done considering that you’re talking about using a 2 cylinder diesel I think you’ll be disappointed in its performance. I’ve owned a couple diesels in the past, a 1572, a 1772 and a 1782. I was never that impressed with any of them. Sold all of them. If it was me I’d rebuild the engine in the 1650 and find a decent used engine for the 108 and with the left over $$$ if you just have to have a diesel go buy a decent used running complete tractor and you’ll still have $$$ remaining.

That said your tractor and your wallet.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 01-25-2016, 04:21 PM

I've had mean thoughts along the same line using a 3cyl from a mitsubishi tractor my buddy has...keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Grand Member

A diesel re-power could really be a fun project if you have the tools, equipment and know-how to get the job done. If you have to hire much of the work it could end up being a money pit.

I normally bypass threads like this but I am a little curious about your finished product.

Since sickle mowers require almost no horse power to operate, why do you want to drive one with a big ole smoker?

I could understand throwin snow, pullin a plow, tillin or even mowin grass... but running a sickle mower? I don't understand.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:09 AM

It will be an interesting project to say the least. The biggest costs I see will be getting a machine shop to make the adapters for the driveline and pto. If you do not have the tools or skills to fab your on mounts and brackets then that is more money. Like the others said the mounts and driveline angles are biggies as well. I was looking at putting mine in a narrow frame but after measuring one decided to go with an 82 series for the extra room. I still have not found the right roller yet but have been using an old 1811 frame I have to mock things up.
Here is a link to that thread.
http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42314

The engine I have is a Perkins two cylinder out of a semi truck APU that puts out 13.7hp. When I had it on the run stand I had it wired into the harness from a 1541 Cub. I cut as much out of the APU harness as I could and used blade connectors to plug into the cub harness. It took a little time but I had it where it would start and shut off with the key switch. I had the glow plugs on a push button switch but they really need to be wired into some sort of timer like the Kubota's have to keep from burning them up. I will be mounting the engine backward in the frame and using a radiator and electric fan from a GEO Metro. I have not decided if I want to run a pto or not but have figured on welding a stub shaft to a plate mounted to the flywheel then using an electric pto I have on the shelf. The machine shop will have to make that as well which will be more $$$.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.
Allis Chalmers 416
Massey Ferguson MF-8
Brinly 10"plow
Soil Mover garden tractor dirt scraper

Taking donations for a new bigger garage to hold them all