Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > The Tool Shed

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 09:28 PM

Default Thinking about buying a welder...

I'm thinking about buying mig welder. I have 220v single-phase in my shop. I'm thinking about something in the 200 amp range. Any suggestions? Brand names? Hoping to not break the bank, but wanting a good unit. I have done a little welding with my dad's Chicago Electric mig welder, but had continual problems with the gun and wire feed. I'm hoping to get something a bit better. Used is good (equates to good price). I've even thought about a TIG welder, since it does double-duty as a stick welder, but have convinced myself a mig will serve my needs better. I'm open to opinions.

I will need it for fabrication, repair, and general fun, but it won't see a lot of hours through the years, just piddlin' and fixin' mostly. But a tool is a tool. Gotta have one!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 PM

Millermatic 35 with a tweco mini mig gun..

some of the smaller 110 V welders are good too but won't do heavy stuff for a long time continuously.. but you can't go wrong with most basic millers. Stay away from digital control panels, spot welding accessory panels, and other gimmicks. Tweco makes a world standard gun, the mini mig is appropriate for anything you'll need.

Whatever you find used, make sure it works well, and that you can get consumeable supplies for it. With the economy being what it is nowadays used ones should be pretty easy to find.
Quietlines and narrow frames, mostly projects but I mow with a 1200 and have a 122 set up for pulls. Wandering the country bringing towers to wind farms everywhere, and bringing yellow stuff home to Texas. Also into flatfender jeeps.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Grand Member

thenrie,
Like so many things, You are going to get what you pay for.
Obviously you have had some experience with a unit that is not of extreme high quality. I am not putting down anybodys equipment but you dont want to spend more time working on the welder than welding.
I am a huge Miller welder fan. Thats what i have here at home. And they are the best ones we have at the place where i work. We have Esab, lincoln, hobart, and miller. Older units and new. Day in and day out the millers seem to perform the best. The one i have here i bought off of craigslist. I went and welded with it for a while to make sure everything worked as it should. Its been a great used welder.
Just my
Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 PM

This is as close to the perfect welder for the home shop as your going to get.
115 and 230,portable but packs a good punch.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...c_211_autoset/
I would stick to name brands....Lincoln,Miller or Hobart.
Good machines,parts and consumables will be readily available.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:05 PM

I'm looking at a Miller Maxtron 300 multi-process welder with a Miller spoolgun being offered for $800. No tank, TIG, or stick accessories, but has the gun with 25-30' leads, power cord, regulator, and a homemade cart. Says he'll let me test it (without gas) before buying. I'm thinking it's a good buy. Any suggestions?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:40 PM

Spoolgun isn't the handiest unit in the world to use... it sounds like a good buy, especially if one could run TIG down the road with it... but it isn't what I'd choose for a first welder.
Quietlines and narrow frames, mostly projects but I mow with a 1200 and have a 122 set up for pulls. Wandering the country bringing towers to wind farms everywhere, and bringing yellow stuff home to Texas. Also into flatfender jeeps.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:37 AM

Actually, it won't be my first experience with a welder. Just the first I have actually owned. I used to use my dad's stick welder, and later, his mig welder. He had a Chicago Electric welder from Harbor Freight. It was good to learn on, but I had a lot of trouble with the wire feeder. Decided this time I'd get a decent unit that I won't grow out of once I start to learn what I am doing. The Maxtron 300 I'm looking at will handle anything from 22 ga sheet to 1/2" plate, will mig aluminum, do DC TIG, and stick, and will run on 1 or 3-phase. I can buy it for about 1/2 what a Miller 211 would cost.

What is your reasoning not to buy this unit as a first welder?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:01 PM

If it was a first welder it could be overwhelming to learn how to operate correctly.. If you have room in your shop for it and can afford to also buy a good standard gun setup for it, you will love it. I would get a quote from the local welder guys to set it up the way ya need.....

I have a Systematics with the spool gun for aluminum, and haven't used the spool gun very many times....but when I am in the shop I fire it up almost every day to use the Tweco Mini mig style gun that is on it set up to use .030 steel wire. Latest project is portable fence post holes. (seriously..Been making a temporary fence with pipe posts..) but when I needed to setup the 122 for pulling it helped me fab a hitch and wheelie bars in an afternoon.

My first MIG was a Miller 135....a seriously basic machine that is a workhorse. I still have it if I can pry it back from my buddy that borrowed it. I miss that welder.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the info, Truckntran. I considered buying a smaller mig welder first, then later buying a TIG, stick and plasma cutter combo, but after looking at this unit, I figured I'd be money ahead just to buy this multi-process and not have to buy another welder later. As for shop space, that's not a problem, but then I'd rather not have several boxes when I can have one that does it all. This Miller Maxtron 300 seems to be a good unit and the history behind it seems to indicate light usage - one owner, not a professional welder. Appears to have good Miller spool gun with it. I'll have to buy a drive unit and a regular mig gun eventually, but this will get me started and I doubt I'll ever grow out of it. Looking forward to picking it up this week, if the guy doesn't get rid of it before I can get there with the money.

Then I will be able to repair the frame on my 1650 and get it back in operating order!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 PM

For me, 1 welder is never enough, I have 3 migs, 1 lincoln AC, 1 Lincoln AC/DC, and 1 bread box for thoes on the run welding jobs. My favorite is the mig welders, pull the trigger and GO!! I share 3 welders @ work, and let me tell ya, part of welding is knowing your machine and how to use it. It seems every time I go to weld, I have to stop and get parts and cleaning supplies. The first sign of trouble guys seem to go right for the wing nut and tighten it all the way down, this does not help the feed problem, but causes more problems by making more metal dust that goes in the line, and the feed slows or stops. What ever you decide, know the machine, and enjoy!
Mouse
1963 Cub Cadet 100
1966 Cub Cadet 122