Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Banned

Sounded good Frank! Wait to really dial the tune of the carb in when you get the muffler and air filter on it. If you tune it with them off, it won't be quite right. I'll say again, ran great. You really should pat yourself on the back, I've had good mechanics work for me that rebuilt engines that didn't fire up on the first try. Valves set 180° out, or similar problems. Good work!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 PM

Ive been watching this thread, thanks for lots of good info!! I have another thread with some questions also (k301 what to do) as im gearing up to do my 12 soon, but i was just wondering if you reused your crank bearings or if you got different?
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsoldcub View Post
Ive been watching this thread, thanks for lots of good info!! I have another thread with some questions also (k301 what to do) as im gearing up to do my 12 soon, but i was just wondering if you reused your crank bearings or if you got different?
Thanks
Mike
I reused the main crankshaft bearings. They were clean, I couldn't see any wear, and they operated as smooth as silk. Not sure if that was the right decision or not, but that's what I did.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:58 PM

Well, ive heard from numerous small engine guys that say the same thing..thorough inspection and if they check out then run 'em...i get nervous with things like bearings nowadays...those you KNOW are good, have been for 40yrs, and even paying for new quality stuff you might get something defective..i dont know, check them when i get there i guess...thanks for this thread, you did a good build
Old 01-28-2014, 08:20 AM

Engine sounds good and strong. But I will be darn if I would run it with no muffler, there is a possiblity that it could suck in cold air at shut off and warp the valves, unless it was brought back to tdc with both valves being closed. Also with it not being muffled down some. there is a possiblity that you cound not hear strange/odd noises. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Engine sounds good and strong. But I will be darn if I would run it with no muffler, there is a possiblity that it could suck in cold air at shut off and warp the valves, unless it was brought back to tdc with both valves being closed. Also with it not being muffled down some. there is a possiblity that you cound not hear strange/odd noises. Just my 2 cents.
He was just test running it. Been building motors for a long time. Never saw/heard of a valve warping because it sucked cold air in the exhaust. I'm going to say can't happen.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Grand Member

As J-Mech said, this was a post-build test run. Didn't want to put all the stuff on it only to have to take it off to retorque the head. It's all back together now and I'm off on another project. I'll play with the carb settings a little as J-Mech suggested, but won't be able to really set them right until I can put it under load with a mower deck. That may be a couple months away! It might get a snow blade in the meantime.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
He was just test running it. Been building motors for a long time. Never saw/heard of a valve warping because it sucked cold air in the exhaust. I'm going to say can't happen.
t
The reason I posted that. I build/refresh go kart racing engine (B&S flatties) and have had several where the exhaust valve was warped by cold air reverberating back thru the exhaust header. The theroy is, with no muffler in the system it is a straight shot for the cold air into the exhaust port. That is the reason we pull the engine up on TDC/stuff a plug in the exhaust header end after the engine is shut down. Have never seen it on the K-series engines but, you never know.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Grand Member

Sitrep: I mowed the grass yesterday with the 1450 that this engine came out of. I put a 50A deck on it. The engine ran great, lots of power, no smoke! SWEET!!