Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Default Looking for information

Hey guys I am trying to find some information on an old rare tractor that my Dad has.
From what I know it's called a Mighty Mite, I found they were made by Jacques Power Saw Co and here is a link to a picture of one that looks just like my Dads. http://www.tractorshed.com/contents/adpic60471.htm

At some point in time my Dad was told it was made for pulling box cars on railroad tracks. I found an article once but can not find it again that said it was built modeled after a model T ford.

Have any of ya'll ever seen one of these or have any information on them?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 AM

maybe this guy can help you, shot him a e-mailhttp://www.highridgetractorparts.com/index.html
Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Tractor Information

History behind the Jaques Model T, Jaques Mighty Mite, and Ottawa Mule Team Tractors

A little history behind the Jaques Model T, Jaques Mighty Mite, and Ottawa Mule Team Tractors. If anyone has anything to add that can be of some value please send me the info & I’ll update it soon as possible.

In 1944 Graham Paige Motors acquired the commercial line of “Rototiller Inc”. The Kaiser-Frazer Corporation was incorporated on August 9, 1945. In February 1947 Joe Frazer (Kaiser-Frazer) and a few investors he rounded up purchased a controlling interest in the Graham Paige Motors Corporation. It was decided to continue selling the B-Series Rototillers that were previously offered by “Rototiller Inc” of Troy, New York. They were sold primarily through existing auto dealerships. The Graham Paige rototillers were manufactured in Willow Run, Michigan until mid 1947, when their “farm division” moved to York, Pennsylvania.

In late 1947 the decision was made to build a small farm tractor that was to be named the “Model T” because it was expected to be the agricultural equivalent to the Model T Ford. The Jaques Power Saw Company from Denison Texas, who previously had built a saw attachment for the rototillers, would now manufacture the small tractor chassis, then ship them to Pennsylvania where the engines would be installed and final assembly would take place. The first engine used was a Simar (Swiss designed) 2 cycle engine. The same engine was also being used in the B1-6 and B-1-7 rototillers. The Jaques-Frazer Model T used a 3 speed transmission, weighed just over 1000#, and was available in early 1948 for $695.00. Attachments included a 10” moldboard plow, 5 ft mower, disc harrow, a bulldozer/snowblade, rotary scraper, and also the same tiller that was used behind the walking version of the rototiller. The tractor used an aluminum hood which was built from the bottom of the wing fuel tanks on old fighter planes. The Model T tractors are very hard to find, it’s safe to assume not a whole lot were made. I’ve heard some estimates of only a couple dozen although exact numbers will never be known as no records seem to exist.

Because the tractor wasn’t near as successful as planned, major changes were in store. Early 1949 Graham Paige Motors Corporation decided to sell off the Frazer Farm Equipment division, and from 1949 they sold the company to the Mast-Foos Corporation. The Model T would now go through a few changes but continue to be built by the Jaques Power Saw Company. Now the tractor would be called the Jaques Mighty Mite. One major change included the engine which now was a Briggs and Stratton model ZZ. Out of the three or four versions of this tractor built and marketed, the Jaques Mighty Mite seems to be the easiest to find. One article I’ve read suggests up to 5000 were produced. Another major change to the tractor was the hood, now made out of steel, and totally reshaped in the front. Other than the hood, fuel tank and engine, the tractor remained for the most part the same. The Jaques Mighty Mite was advertised as having the following implements: 10” turning plow for $39.25, 2-7” bottoms “gang plow” for 48.50, 54” V-Belt sickle mower for 175.00, one row changeable plate planter for 95.00, one row cultivator for 65.95, 2 section disc harrow for 75.50, bulldozer/snowblade for 67.25, Fresno scraper for 75.00, 2 wheel trailer for 110.00, 16” disc plow for 55.00, and also a post hole digger & a power saw attachment, no prices available on these. The literature I have had never offered the rototiller attachment for the Jaques Mighty Mite.

It’s unclear exactly how long the Mighty Mite was in production, but in 1949 the Ottawa Manufacturing Co. from Ottawa Kansas purchased interests in the tractor, and continued to build several of their own versions. These included the Model 15A powered with a 8 ½ HP AEN Wisconsin engine. Also the Model 15 with a 8 HP Briggs & Stratton ZZ engine, Model 16 with 2 cylinder 11 HP Wisconsin engine, and the Model 17 with a 2 cylinder 13 HP Wisconsin engine. It’s also interesting to note that the Ottawa Manufacturing Co. went back to using the “rounded front hoods” as was offered on the Jaques Model T. Ottawa offered these hoods in both steel and aluminum. The parent company of Ottawa Manufacturing was Warner manufacturing; they are listed as being in business in Ottawa Kansas from 1904 to 1951.

From 1951 on information gets pretty scarce. I have seen pictures of a Paige garden tractor that appears identical to the Ottawa. I have never seen a Paige in person but if someone owns one I’d sure like to hear from you.

Credits
Original Literature
http://www.antiquetractors.com
Antique Power Magazine
http://www.donaldantiquerototillers.com
York County Heritage Trust Agricultural Museum

Its not cold. its gods way of keeping the rif-raf out.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 AM

Something else I might add this article mentions RotoTiller Inc. RotoTiller Inc. turned into TroyBilt, and is now owned by MTD.

Keep the Deck down and the Throttle open!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 08:59 PM

Thanks, My Dad will enjoy hearing some history.