Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Default KT 17 Series 2 Carb

As stated in my introductory thread, I am having some kind of fuel problem. I also stated that I ordered a new carb. I just havent brought myself to pick it up yet. I have a problem paying that price when Im not certain I cant fix the issue myself.

So the problem with my 682 is that it runs great for about 60 to 90 mins. depending on the workload given, which is nothing more than horseplay with hauling the kiddos in the wagon behind it. But after that given time frame, she likes to only run if I pull the choke out. Fuel filter is fine, I can see there is no blockage and there is good flow. Could this issue simply be a dirty carb? If so, can I just get some carb cleaner and do this myself
Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Grand Member

does your fuel pump work? pay attention to far the gas level in the tank gets
Old 05-05-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogtvpe View Post
does your fuel pump work? pay attention to far the gas level in the tank gets
Ive had it full, down to about 1/4. Doesnt seem to discriminate against how full or empty it is
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Grand Member

before I put a new carb on I would clean the carb that's on it. disassemble it completely. make sure there's nothing in the tank floating around or plugging the fuel valve at the bottom of the tank. when it starts to act up did you ever take the gas cap off? see if it gets any better
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogtvpe View Post
before I put a new carb on I would clean the carb that's on it. disassemble it completely. make sure there's nothing in the tank floating around or plugging the fuel valve at the bottom of the tank. when it starts to act up did you ever take the gas cap off? see if it gets any better
I have not taken gas cap off when its acted up. So it could be possible its vapor locked. I will be cleaning the carb tomorrow after work, but I wont be able to give her a test run until this weekend as I have no muffler on it right now. Im awaiting one and hope to have it by then so I can use it to haul wood that Ive cut out of our field.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Bcdsfcret

I would give the carb a simple cleaning. You might have water in the fuel.
Ethenol attacks water.
Brian
Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Could this be a governor issue? Reason being is that I did some shopping this week and bought/replaced fuel line and filter. Replaced air filter, and plugs/wires. I took both the gas tank and carb out and cleaned them both thoroughly. I put on a new muffler as the old one was shot. (Boy is this motor loud without exhaust!!!)

I finished it all today after work, I even sharpened the blades, and once again it started in again. But this time, I backed the throttle down to about 85-90% and it never once did it again. This really has me stumped...
Old 05-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Grand Member

I doubt it the governor because all it does is govern a preset speed. could be an ignition issue. check for spark next time it quits
Old 05-10-2014, 09:36 PM

So today, I fired it up, drove it to the back yard and hooked up to the wagon and pulled it around to the front so I could load the wagon into my truck to take it over to the inlaws for them to use for the weekend. I shut down the 682. An hour later I went to bring it back into the garage as I was done with it for the day, and it wouldnt run without the choke out again. So, curiosity fot to me and as it was running, I pulled plug wires off. I unfortunately was quickly reminded what it felt like to get zapped....lol Anyhow, both sides have good spark. I uncapped the gas cap, no change. I took air filter off, nothing. I did however see a very faint smoke come out of the tube that feeds into the bottom plate of the filter. So she burns a little oil I guess.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Grand Member

I'm getting the feeling you missed something . did you have the carb completely apart? screws, jets, everything? blow air threw it? carb cleaner? there's only one way an engine starves for fuel and that's lack of it. somewhere in the fuel supply there's an issue. I have to ask. did you ever make sure that when you pull the choke that the choke plate close's? and push opens it?