Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Default Uh, Excuse Me

Gee guys;
I only can only wonder where the idea that Vanguard engines were not made by Briggs comes from. I used to work at a Briggs plant, and there sure were alot of em' going down the line. By the way the plant was here in the states and Daihotsu was not in the name.
Sincerely;
CadetFarmer
Old 12-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetfarmer View Post
Gee guys;
I only can only wonder where the idea that Vanguard engines were not made by Briggs comes from. I used to work at a Briggs plant, and there sure were alot of em' going down the line. By the way the plant was here in the states and Daihotsu was not in the name.
Sincerely;
CadetFarmer
Maybe straight from B&S:http://row-en.myfaqcenter.com/Answer...Specifications

Or, looks like it might have come from these various manufacturing agreements. From Wikipedia:

Daihatsu Briggs & Stratton (DBS) – In an effort to stave off Japanese competition during the 1980s, Briggs & Stratton entered a 50/50 joint venture with the Daihatsu Motor Company in Japan. Located in Shiga Prefecture (50 miles (80 km) from Osaka, Japan), construction on the then-57,000-square-foot (5,300 m2) plant began in December 1986 and was completed in April 1987. This joint venture was notable for the manufacture of vertical and horizontal crankshaft engines from 12.5 to 22 hp (16 kW) under the Vanguard brand. Today the plant employs roughly 100 people on two shifts and manufactures Vanguard V-twin engines ranging from 14 to 36 hp (27 kW).[7]

The Mitsubishi Agreement – The Vanguard line initially consisted of three single-cylinder engines and several V-twin engines. The V-twins, made by DBS, had sold very well but the single-cylinder engine models, originally produced at Briggs & Stratton's Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin plant, didn't fare so well. Briggs & Stratton needed to solve this problem, so, following discussions with several Japanese engine manufacturers, it entered into an agreement with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. of Tokyo, Japan. Briggs & Stratton produced only certain parts for the engines, while Mitsubishi was responsible for overall production and shipping. The completed single-cylinder Vanguard engines were shipped directly to customers worldwide. Briggs & Stratton had exclusive marketing rights only in North America, Europe and Australia/New Zealand. MHI had exclusive marketing rights (under their own brand name) in Malaysia, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan. In other countries both companies competed with the same product under their own brand names which led to considerable friction, and together with escalating production costs in Japan, caused this otherwise successful relationship to fail. Briggs & Stratton commenced marketing alternative U.S.-made single-cylinder engines under the Vanguard brand in early 2007.[8]

The Komatsu Zenoah Venture – In May 1987, Briggs & Stratton entered into an agreement with yet another Japanese company, executing a 10-year contract with the Komatsu Zenoah Company of Tachikawa, Japan. Under the terms of the contract, Komatsu would manufacture a 2-cycle, 4 hp (3 kW) engine, in which Briggs & Stratton would purchase and distribute in the United States, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Said Fred Stratton, "This venture was not successful, because the rising price of the yen made the engine too expensive in the U.S."[9]
Old 04-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Grand Member

I love kohlers, but the B&S Vanguards are the best V-Twin
149-original paint, tiller, three point, duals, ags
1811Custom -M18-18hp kohler magnum, power steering and hydraulic lift with Three point and sleeve hitch.
----------------------------------------------------
Attachments:three-QA 42inch,42inch blade,one-38inch cast end, QA 44inch deck
Brinly 12inch plow, 2x cultivators and x2disc Brinly Tool bar cub10:
Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 PM

Default Vanguard

I like them as well ... repowered my 1450 with a 14hp last year ... except for the engine and blade noise feels smooth as silk. The paint mixer falthead was much more uncomfortable to stay in the saddle with.
I've read some of the buggy websites ... and I may try this this winter, one mild mod is to simply advance the timing if I remember right ... 4 degrees and a minor jet change. only gives you a 1 HP or so but they say torque increase is noticeable. They sell this little upgrade as a kit.

B.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgtguy View Post
They sell this little upgrade as a kit.

B.
B,

I've got a 1440 and wouldn't mind a few more (even 1!) HP, so who is "They" and where can I get the kit? Thanks in advance for the info!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Ford flat head vs. merc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk View Post
Sam Mac Merk& sam, back in the day I built flat head fomco engines to race , the block/bore was same ,rods same , the compression distance on pistons was different ( top of pist. to rod connection point) was difference, learn that one the hard way !! LOL

Do you use a repair manual from a Navistar truck to fix a cat engine ???
I hope not.

You have no clue on what I have work on and I could care less what you have worked on. I thought this topic was about Briggs and Stratton engines(not Cat engines) in Cub Cadets?????

Why not use a manual from Briggs and Stratton to fix a Briggs and Stratton engine? My information came from a Briggs and Stratton manual not a Cub Cadet manual as I stated in my earlier post.

I did some checking in a Briggs and Stratton manual. The cylinder bores, connecting rods and crankshaft are the same in both engines. The Pistons are not the same.

BS-303447-1147 engine has the following part numbers:
piston-standard-843951
piston-.020 oversize-843958

BS-294447-1145
piston-standard-807619
piston-.020 oversize-807809

It looks like the piston pin location is in a different location between the 2 engines.

Carbs are different too
BS-303447-1147-carb# 809011
BS-294447-1145-carb# 809009

I will repost this again....the BS-303447-1147 is a 30 cubic inches. The BS-294447-1145 is a 29 cubibic inches.
]Sam Mac Merk& sam, back in the day I built flat head fomco engines to race , the block/bore was same ,rods same , the compression distance on pistons was different ( top of pist. to rod connection point) was difference, learn that one the hard way !! LOL

2145,1864,1811,1810,1541,1330,1210,1020,1641,147,1 24,73, IH FARMALL CUB. 7254, 1863, IH 982
Old 12-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarvey View Post
]Sam Mac Merk& sam, back in the day I built flat head fomco engines to race , the block/bore was same ,rods same , the compression distance on pistons was different ( top of pist. to rod connection point) was difference, learn that one the hard way !! LOL
Earl

Looks like you forgot to take your meds again.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 PM

Default Where does the rear hose connection connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgtguy View Post
I like them as well ... repowered my 1450 with a 14hp last year ... except for the engine and blade noise feels smooth as silk. The paint mixer falthead was much more uncomfortable to stay in the saddle with.
I've read some of the buggy websites ... and I may try this this winter, one mild mod is to simply advance the timing if I remember right ... 4 degrees and a minor jet change. only gives you a 1 HP or so but they say torque increase is noticeable. They sell this little upgrade as a kit.

B.
Since you redone your 1440 can you tell me where the connection goes, or what the rear connection goes, here is a pic of the carb the connction I am asking about is the one closests to the you

To Me, That is why I started, own and work
at my own company: Small Engine Repair Service
in Louisiana.
Thanks to all others with the same mind set as mine
History Can Live On
www.ser-service.com
Old 05-31-2017, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneart6478 View Post
Since you redone your 1440 can you tell me where the connection goes, or what the rear connection goes, here is a pic of the carb the connction I am asking about is the one closests to the you

I think you need to start a new thread and ask this question. And be more specific. What are you trying to do? I don't understand the question.....
Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM

i was born and raised in a state where alot of small engine manufacturers were all either started built or headquartered...kohler cast iron singles, (i would say best air cooled engine ever built..considering amount of parts, power/ torque, cost of rebuild, application, etc) just kill the briggs of the time hands down....some say the 3 degree valve angle, i say just the shear mass and quality... look at a starter from a 1975 briggs vs what kohler decided to use... ever worked on an old wisco...????thats a good motor, great motor...tecumseh sucks!!!, and briggs went cheap earlier...aluminum blocks with cast iron sleeves,(which everyone would do) poor quality control, rods pop all the time, youll see so many aluminum briggs in the boneyards that will spin over with the piston not moving on top...ive been working on them since i was 6, and although ive seen one with over 2k hrs on it, they are second to kohler for sure...the kohler courage REALLY hurt them, and they havent always built gold standard either its even put them behind brands like kawasaki, suburu robbins, etc...but their gen-sets and new diesels are supposed to be pretty top of the line stuff...yeah if it wasnt for japanese gearheads and c.e.o's about to lose their bonuses briggs would be dead...trust me ive been driving past that place since i was a kid..

.just my opinion of course

besides, if briggs or the vanguard was so good then why cant you get one in a scag?? best mower on the market, (also made in WI by the way) and if you havent mowed with one dont tell me theyre not!!! kawis and kohlers and kubota diesels is all they offer....i really thought that liquid cooled would be the way of the future for lawn equipment...but after owning one i see why theyre not....just plug the radiator or screen too much..most brands even offering less water cooled models than before....good discussion though...we have beer and harleys here too...used to have lots of beer