Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 11-17-2018, 12:20 PM

Default Replacing fuel sensor on 3000 series

Replacing the fuel tank on a 3235. I pulled the fuel level sensor out of the old tank and found that there's a very thin rubber gasket around the top of the grommet. When I tried to put the sensor in the replacement tank the gasket basically disintegrated. Then as I tried to push the grommet in the hole the grommet started to get chewed up. I used a little gasoline as lube when I did it but it didn't seem to help. I stopped at that point, didn't want to muck it up worse. Looked it up in the parts book - grommet and gasket aren't sold separately, just shows the sensor ($51!). It looks like the sensor body is the grommet.

Has anyone ever replaced one before? Is there a trick to it?

I should mention that at the very top of the grommet is a groove where the tank housing should be. I can't get it into the tank to that point, it started to get chewed up. That's when I stopped trying.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:09 PM

use oil for lube . gas isn't slippery ..should be able to buy a new one separately...#735 6099 or old # 751 3146 $10.05 on parts tree
Old 11-17-2018, 09:58 PM

Thank you dale, much appreciated.

I ended up getting it, but not before the lower 'ring' of the grommet fell to pieces as I was trying to get it in. Age and deterioration made it look like there wasn't a grommet, the rubber looked like it was one piece molded to the sensor body.
I put a moderate coating of 3-36 on the tank and sensor, then tried to push it in as gently as possible while using the back side of a mini hook to help it along. After a bit of pushing and twisting the grommet broke free of the sensor. That's when I realized it had one. I slid the grommet off, placed it in the hole, then pushed the sensor in the tank. It went in as it should, but as I said, the bottom lip of the grommet that's supposed to be around the bottom side of the tank hole was now in bits at the bottom of the tank.
I think it's tight enough to hold and not leak, time will tell. When looking at the grommet you pointed me to it seems they got rid of the bottom lip, or better said, a grommet with a groove notched in it so it sandwiches the hole in the tank.

I now see that the grommet PN is listed in the parts list, but there's no reference to it in the parts breakdown picture. Curious to know how you knew that was the grommet for the sensor? Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2018, 06:09 AM
Senior Moderator

I had to replace both on my 3205 a few years ago. I lubed up the grommets with oil, placed them in the hole and then pushed in the sensor/pickup tube.

DSCN0171.jpg
Old 11-18-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
I had to replace both on my 3205 a few years ago. I lubed up the grommets with oil, placed them in the hole and then pushed in the sensor/pickup tube
Now you tell me.

That's how I did it once I realized the grommet actually came off the sensor (explained in previous post). I guess yours is an updated design, both the existing tank and the replacement tank had a sensor like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sensor.jpg (34.1 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-18-2018, 11:59 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonstar View Post
Now you tell me.

That's how I did it once I realized the grommet actually came off the sensor (explained in previous post). I guess yours is an updated design, both the existing tank and the replacement tank had a sensor like this.
I think the next order of business would be to pull the tank and clean out the old grommet pieces that fell into the tank and install a new grommet. The pieces of grommet might cause problems with fuel pickup.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs-n-bxrs View Post
I think the next order of business would be to pull the tank and clean out the old grommet pieces that fell into the tank and install a new grommet. The pieces of grommet might cause problems with fuel pickup.
Thanks for the suggestion cubs.

I installed the sensor with the tank on my workbench, not on the tractor. I was swapping the tank with the one on the tractor that has a hole in it. When done I used a blow gun like this while flipping the tank around. Inside was clean when I put it on the tractor.
The sensor went in with a pretty good 'thunk' and wasn't loose when I tugged on it. I realize bumps and vibration when in use is more than a tug, but pretty confident it'll hold. I plan on getting a grommet though. When searching the PN Dale provided I found that a mower shop not too far from me sells them on eBay. Next time I'm out that way I'm going to get one so I have it on hand if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blow gun.jpg (2.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 11-20-2018, 03:13 AM

Just replaced the grommet on my 3205. The part # is 735-0699. About $10.

Your sensor looks a little different than mine. Not sure if it's the same or not.