Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonstar View Post
The possibility of busting the glass when (carefully) removing it didn't occur to me, I thought the risk was putting it back in. This is why I asked before going to town on it, glad I did. I was hoping for a reply that said "it's easy, you just do this....", but it looks like that isn't the case.

I bought the cab used. All the panels have minor rust on them (more than minor on the very bottom of the doors). There's some rust right next to the rubber, and there's a few minor, wide, "pushed in" type dents here and there. It looks like swing stops were never installed on the doors. On one door the hinges and surrounding metal are going to need adjusted with what might become some heavy swings with a BFH. I'm going to completely sand each panel, cover the worst areas with POR, then prime and repaint. Covering the glass isn't an option, it has to come out. I already started sanding the lower parts, well, grinding actually - used an angle grinder with 40/60 grit flap disks to remove the heavy rust and scale on the bottom of the doors and the foot well pieces, but I need to get the glass out before I make a bone head move and break one of them.

I planned on having a glass shop put the glass back in, I wasn't going to attempt it, but after reading these replies it's probably best to have a shop remove them as well. The closest local glass shop is the only one for many miles around, I only deal with them when I absolutely have to. They should have a mask and a gun for the the prices they charge for replacing window glass and screens. Based on my previous dealings with them it's a pretty safe assumption they're going to flat out refuse to do it anyway. I'll have to search around for a local guy further away.

George - tried to search for Evil Pray to price new rubber but couldn't find it. The search results were quite interesting, but none had anything to do with window rubber. Can you give me a link?
Where in Pa are you located?
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 10-20-2018, 10:36 AM

Near Harrisburg....updated my profile accordingly.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:13 AM

Judging by the pics Jeff provided (thx Jeff) it looks like the glass is held in with a single piece gasket. Did some searching and read about them. Found opinions that vary from extremely difficult to remove/install to pretty easy to remove/install.
I'm going to give it a shot. Even though the rubber looks to be in good shape it's probably less pliable than new rubber and shrank over time, so I'll replace it with new. Plan is to lean a panel against the wall for a while so the baseboard heat warms it up, then use some hot soapy water. I'll cut it as needed to make sure I'm not putting any stress on the glass as I go.

Should be easy, right? (sarcasm)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg window gasket one piece .jpg (13.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Judging by the pics Jeff provided (thx Jeff) it looks like the glass is held in with a single piece gasket. Did some searching and read about them. Found opinions that vary from extremely difficult to remove/install to pretty easy to remove/install.
I'm going to give it a shot. Even though the rubber looks to be in good shape it's probably less pliable than new rubber and shrank over time, so I'll replace it with new. Plan is to lean a panel against the wall for a while so the baseboard heat warms it up, then use some hot soapy water. I'll cut it as needed to make sure I'm not putting any stress on the glass as I go.

Should be easy, right? (sarcasm)
OK.. if your buying new gasket it makes it really easy.. Just cut through the middle with a razor all the way around. By time your half way around they usually fall out.. Be ready to catch it.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Grand Member

Agreed. Unlatch the flap and then cut it off exposing the edge of the glass. Work the top and sides first leaving the bottom uncut. Now gently push the glass out of the rubber and lift it out of the uncut bottom section. Place glass in an area not exposed to kids, pets, or clumsy neighbors trying to help.
Have fun!
149, 2072, Original, 1772, 1782, #1 cart, Parker 48" sweeper,
Old 10-21-2018, 07:45 PM

I Removed the glass from my sims cab to make some mods. It really wasn’t all that difficult. Lots of soapy water and a plastic windshield tool plus some patience.
The seal on my sims cab had a lip that you pulled out with a hook. That opened the seal up and made removing and installing the glass much easier. If your seal has that lip or retainer you should see a narrow line around the outside of the seal.
If the glass would break there is a glass shop in the area that will make a pattern and have a new piece cut. It isn’t cheap but not the end of the world either. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:59 PM
Grand Member

I would think most glass in mobile equipment is solid tempered except for the windshield, as it might be laminated.
Solid tempered cannot be cut and has to be made to order, has been my findings.
Solid tempered if one does not know, breaks into little 1/4" pieces we are familiar with, in side/back windows in vehicles.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:19 PM

Thank you to all of you guys for the advice and guidance, it's very much appreciated!

I have to put this project on hold for a couple weeks. My garage is about 100' from the house. There (was) a natural gas line running from the house to the garage for a heater. Last spring/summer we did some work in the back yard and part of it was where the gas line ran, so out it went. Fall came way too fast, then winter hit. I never got around to running a new line before the ground froze. It's now late October and guess what I haven't done yet?

Winter is coming.

Last winter was very cold, too cold for me to work in the garage without heat. I love my garage dearly and greatly missed the quality time I spend in there. I spent those frigid evenings and weekends in the house with nothing to do but talk to my wife. I don't want that to happen again this winter.

I'll post an update when I get back to it. I might start a new thread with questions about restoring the cab. It's got more issues than I realized, I'm going to need some help on the proper way to get it straightened out.

Thanks again guys
Old 10-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Thank you to all of you guys for the advice and guidance, it's very much appreciated!

I have to put this project on hold for a couple weeks. My garage is about 100' from the house. There (was) a natural gas line running from the house to the garage for a heater. Last spring/summer we did some work in the back yard and part of it was where the gas line ran, so out it went. Fall came way too fast, then winter hit. I never got around to running a new line before the ground froze. It's now late October and guess what I haven't done yet?

Winter is coming.

Last winter was very cold, too cold for me to work in the garage without heat. I love my garage dearly and greatly missed the quality time I spend in there. I spent those frigid evenings and weekends in the house with nothing to do but talk to my wife. I don't want that to happen again this winter.

I'll post an update when I get back to it. I might start a new thread with questions about restoring the cab. It's got more issues than I realized, I'm going to need some help on the proper way to get it straightened out.

Thanks again guys
Now there is more to do than "talk" on cold nights.
And If I have to explain that, you would never understand Ha,LOL!
Oh Wait, the younger generation has no communication/touch,it is all texting
er it is sexting? aw well it is beyond me.

Now about having no gas, have that woman whip up some bean soup,
and put a propane heater in the shop till you splice the gas line or duct tape the one yall cut, it is low pressure like 10 ounces, not even a pound
Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 PM

We do more than talk, I was trying to keep it clean. I gave her the best 30-45 seconds she's ever had on many occasions last winter!

Seal the line with duct tape??? I ain't no hack, I do it right or not at all. I have some 4" corrugated drain pipe left over from last years hardscaping project. I'm going to use 50' of it to span the section of 1-1/4" PE pipe I cut and secure it with a couple hose clamps (stainless steel of course since it's buried a couple inches underground). And I'll have you know it's 5 lbs in my area. We don't use that crappy imported chinese gas around here.