Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM

Default Cub 123, gas tank repair

The gas tank on my 123 is leaking where the sediment bowl screws in to the tank. Doesn't appear to be leaking around the threads, but from the square piece of metal that the threads are cut into..... between it and the tank. Looks like the previous owner has tried soldering the area before.

Any tips or suggestions? Can someone who knows how to weld fix that?? Not looking for a perfect restoration, but would like for it to look decent, if not correct.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Grand Member

I used Red Kote to seal a leaking gas tank. Now, it won't help if the area is loose or moves, but if the joint is mechanically sound, with only a crack that is seeping, it might be a solution. My tank was weeping through the seams, and the red kote sealed them. I bought a quart of the tank sealer at O'Reilly's auto parts, I think it was about $27. Looks like it will seal many tanks, I'll probably never use it all.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 AM

I brought mine to a mechanic friend. He used a torch and solder. That's how it's done from the factory. Just be sure the tank is empty and free of vapors first.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nra1ifer View Post
The gas tank on my 123 is leaking where the sediment bowl screws in to the tank. Doesn't appear to be leaking around the threads, but from the square piece of metal that the threads are cut into..... between it and the tank. Looks like the previous owner has tried soldering the area before.

Any tips or suggestions? Can someone who knows how to weld fix that?? Not looking for a perfect restoration, but would like for it to look decent, if not correct.
I have had this same problem a number of times.

I empty the fuel from the tank and rinse it with water (many times ( I have been known to set the tank in its upright position, stick the garden hose down into it and just let it run)) then empty the water from the tank.

Once I am Sure that there are NO fumes in the tank, I screw a 1/8" inch pipe nipple (about 3" long) into the opening in the bottom and clamp a small pair of vice grips onto the nipple (kinda like a handle).

With one hand, I hold the vice grips so that the small square piece will not move from its place. Keeping the propane torch moving, I heat the small square piece until the solder is melted, remove the heat and hold in place until it cools. Do not heat the metal of the tank, just heat the small square piece. If you heat the metal of the tank it will warp and then it can be a bear to get it straightened out and soldered back again.

I have only had to add solder one time. That was the one that I warped...
Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 AM
Grand Member

I had tried the JB Weld epoxy, but that never worked. So I heated the old solder out, then filled the seam and around the spot welded square. Has not leaked in 4 years!

Make sure you don't over tighten when reinstalling the sediment bowl. Many times leaks occur because of re-cracking the new solder seal. Use Blue Monster pipe thread tape.
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES
Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Thank you for all of the suggestions and guidance. Sounds like I could remedy the leak with solder or a tank coating. Since I have a torch and/or an iron and solder already, I'll try that approach first.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM

I'm in the midst of addressing the same problem (among others) on my 100 right now.

I had trouble getting it started this past weekend, and because I will be doing a full teardown and resto of this tractor in the next month or so, I'm not at all worried about the paint. Sparing the boring story, I got a little (ok, WAY) over zealous with the brake cleaner and just watched as the many layers of wrong color paint just melted away. ...so although I was very pleased to get a head start on paint removal, especially on the carb side of the tank, I'm finding that that paint was serving an essential purpose: keeping the gas from weeping through some of the microscopic pinholes in the tank. I woke up to a gasoline glazed sediment bowl and tank end.

Anyway, after extensive interweb surfing, I'm finding that although it's not been a huge problems for the cubs, many of the older boats, tractors, and airplanes are having similar issues and many of these problems are blamed on ethanol in the gas causing accelerated deterioration of the tanks.

Even though it's a bit more expensive than a bunch of the off-the-shelf 'tank sealers' out there, I just picked up a Caswell Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer kit (~$50 shipped) which will seal "2 5-Gallon Tanks".

Once I get it, I'll seal the tank and let everyone know how it works out.

Anyone else have any experience with this Caswell kit?
Old 05-10-2017, 06:15 PM

This is long overdue, but I got some time to really address this leak problem today.

I cleaned the area around the fitting on the bottom of the tank. Got most of the old solder off of it with a wire wheel on my drill motor. Then, I resoldered the fitting with a propane torch. Got a really nice seal around the fitting.

I think I found the real culprit: a really fine, hairline crack in the tank coming from the area around the fitting.

I will try coating the inside of the tank as suggested before.

Think that will do the trick?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is long overdue, but I got some time to really address this leak problem today.
4 years later..... ya think it's overdue?

Quote:
I think I found the real culprit: a really fine, hairline crack in the tank coming from the area around the fitting.

I will try coating the inside of the tank as suggested before.

Think that will do the trick?

Why don't you just solder it shut....... You had it all out and working on it. That would have made sense.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
4 years later..... ya think it's overdue?

Why don't you just solder it shut....... You had it all out and working on it. That would have made sense.
Even though you seem to assume that your intellect is superior to anyone else's here.......
I attempted to apply solder to the extremely small crack but it didn't want to take, and I didn't want to over heat the metal.

Feel free to not add your input to any of my threads. It is certainly not needed by this member.