Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Customized Cub Cadets

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Grand Member

Default Could this stuff become a tractor?

Folks,
I know how you guys like pictures. If Duke follows all my posts he should be full tonight
Some random shots of the stuff that I have. It all needs touched in various ways and a pile of work to make anything out of it. Still gathering my thoughts on this project. Ideas, suggestions, observations are always welcome.

Question: Can a Hydro be driven from the opposite end where the stub shaft sticks out?
Yea the trunnion needs repaired on the spare hydro among the thousand other things that would be needed to make this a 4x4.

For some odd reason I am kinda liking the 125 dash!
Regards,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1701.jpg (39.5 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1702.jpg (35.5 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1703.jpg (28.0 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1704.jpg (33.0 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1705.jpg (40.3 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1706.jpg (39.5 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1707.jpg (32.2 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1708.jpg (33.1 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1709.jpg (38.6 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1710.jpg (36.0 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1711.jpg (41.6 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1712.jpg (33.2 KB, 350 views)

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Grand Member

Thanks for the pics, Chris. You've been busy tonight.

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 AM

ive thought about doing this as well...only with a geared tractor. because if you think about it, all you would need is one rear end with the rear PTO and another regular rear. then you have your front transmission (with PTO) with a shaft off the pto back to the other transmission. then when you want 4wd all you do is engage the pto on the front transmission...turning the rear. im sure there'd be some bugs like how to get both transmissions in the same gear at once but with some brain power and allot of aspirin it can be done.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
Folks,
I know how you guys like pictures. If Duke follows all my posts he should be full tonight

For some odd reason I am kinda liking the 125 dash!
Regards,
Chris
Chris keep the pics coming! I read every post!

Got to show the 125 some love!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Darryl's Artie seems to be the benchmark or template everyone would like to use, which only makes sense because it's done so well. What if we combined a few different ideas together...

I've often wondered why the hydro guys use 2 hydro units to power the axles instead of 1 with a driveshaft connecting the rear ends together, very similar to what Shaner described for his idea of using gear-drive rear ends. Might help with the linkage synchronization issue that seems to appear often. It might save some space too... The hydro unit can't be that small.

An added bonus, if the little stub shaft on the back of the hydro unit spins at engine speed (I'm a gear drive kid, sorry) you could make a rear PTO a real option with minimal fuss. Coupled with a 3-point lift system your options for rear PTO-driven attachments skyrocket. Final result... More seat time. = ) You might need to add a separate system for your auxiliary stuff but that won't be a big deal.

For steering, most of the big articulated 4WD's use 2 cylinders so they have equal travel & force in both directions, which they need to move all that mass anyways. This also makes the tractor turn both directions at the same speed which given the cylinder sizes we use will be a noticeable item.

Don't give up Chris. Go look at one of the big tractors for some inspiration. We all know the group here will gladly help out with questions & insight. You'll more than love it when you're finished. I'm excited to see what comes along.
'65 100 - #126432

Options: V61's, 8.5" Tru-Powers, stock sleeve hitch, Xtreme sleeve hitch adapter
Attachments: Dad's 42" Dozer Blade & 38" 3-spindle deck, 42U deck, Homemade Sleeve Hitch Dethatcher & a QA36A Snowthrower
Mods: K301 Upgrade, IHinIN's clutch pivot upgrade, SST driveshaft, custom bar axles

"Why buy something shiny & new when you can save something old."
Old 04-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Grand Member

Guys,
Still trying to absorb some of this information. Keep in mind I am not a hydraulics guy. Some of these items have made there way into the garage Not sure where I am going yet! I will have some extra time over the next two weeks to look at it more.
Yea that 125 needs some attention. It has been misused and neglected for years. I just pulled the best parts off the 48 inch deck and will junk the rotted out skin.
Would really like to have a bench test for hydros to make sure they are working prior to putting a lot of work into getting them set up.
Another question? Do folks have brakes on these articulated units?
Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Not sure on the brakes, id think at least a set on one of the axles would be good just for parking etc. Here's a link i found to cubzilla, looks like he used 2 gear transmissions with the rear driven off the pto on the front one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LCNOqklW8Q
Original,100,123,129,1200,1250,168 in progress (3) 42inch plows, QA-42A,#1 tiller, 10inch brinly plow, Case Ingersoll 224, 1948 Farmall H, 1950 McCormick W-6, 1952 McCormick W-4.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 AM

You can drive the hydro off the back end, the shaft goes straight through and it runs engine speed on both ends. On mine I drove the front axle from that side, then came out the other side to go to the back axle. It looks like you have enough parts there to get a good start. But if you ever want more than a 12 hp engine. you may need a wide frame in front to fit it in. The back frame doesn't really matter what it is. On mine its a narrow frame and I built adapters to put the fenders from a wide frame on it.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Grand Member

Erjost,
I stopped at the local cub dealer, and he noted as you did that the hydro drive shaft is a thru shaft so it can be driven off either end. This may be a option??
I did get some Cub time and took off some items from the loose hydro. Not much other action.
I do agree that at least one set of working brakes would be a plus!
Regards,
Chris

Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Grand Member

Ok Hydro guys,
(First I may be busted! Wife said "whats that piece of junk your working on"? I said "a spare Hydro". "Why" she asked. "I might build another tractor" I quipped". (It didn't seem to go over that well)

Anyway here's what I got done this morning. It will be a learning experience on Cub hydros if nothing else.

1. The button in one of the top relief valve was sticking (normal). I took that out lubed it up, spun it with cordless drill chucked on the button, and can at least get it to the full up position by pushing up on the ball. Probably needs a rebuilt one in its place to do it right.
Q: Can you buy just the top o-ring under the head? This one was missing. I stuck a std o-ring on for now but not sure it will last?

2. Removed the brake pivot rod assembly that has the castings on the ends to pull the brake rods. The spiral pins drove out just far enough in the center casting to get the pivot rod pushed through.

3. Took the drive coupling (rubber tire) off the front of the hydro. another roll pin, Blaster, and some gentle prying.

4. Now I had read erjost note about reversing the front cover on the hdryo pump (diamond shaped) marked with the white X. So I figured what the heck nothing to loose! So I took it off and found a gear pump similar to the oil pump on my old 55 Ford. In the pictures you can see the porting with this cap off. I am not sure that rotating this 180 degrees will provide the same flow rate in the hydro? Anyone have thoughts on this? The ports are kidney shaped and look to be more set up for only one way for this cover to get the best flow. (ER Could this be a issue with your flow?) Note: that the cap has been reversed in the pictures.

About this time the hospital called and wanted to know how I was doing? I told her I was monkeying with Cub parts in the garage. She took it better than the wife And said I must be doing fine!

5. Shot of the donor frame getting some garage time. No engine but the shroud marks the approx location of the 12 hp Kohler. Front axle pivot point will need to be removed for the front hydro the snuggle up to the engine.

6. I laid out the two small white marks (picture 1) where I think the porting would go. Has anyone drilled and tapped one of these to run hydraulics? What would the tread size be 1/4 NPT? Are there other difference in a ported and un-ported hydro? Not much room to get a fittings in there. If this worked the fittings would need to be 90's and would have to go in prior to the diamond shaped cover.

Sorry I feel WORDY today!
Hope the big world of Cubs is doing fine today.

Regards,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1742.jpg (25.5 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1743.jpg (31.5 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1744.jpg (25.3 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1745.jpg (27.6 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1746.jpg (32.7 KB, 290 views)