Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-25-2019, 11:36 PM

Default Headlights...

I put a deposit on the 149 I went to look at. The only thing that doesn't work, are the headlights.

I don't have it home yet. Hopefully Thurs. or Friday this week.

Is there a fuse somewhere to look for?

It starts and runs fine, all the hydraulics work, even the tiller works fine, nomower deck.

Can you run a mower deck and a tiller? Or do I have to remove the tiller to run the mower deck? Stupid question I know.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-26-2019, 12:22 AM
Grand Member

Hey Steve, Congratulations on your 149 purchase! I have 2 of them and they are very well rounded cubs with plenty of power, easy to work on, and plenty of power under the hood.

On this forum, the only stupid question is asking yourself whether or not you should ask your question. Overall, we are a friendly group that is more than happy to answer questions, help each other, and bring another member into our hobby.

To answer your questions, if the headlights were installed correctly, then yes they should have a fuse installed on them, that is typically close to the switch. However, those cubs shake rattle and roll a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if the headlights need replaced.

You cannot run a mower deck AND a tiller together. Not for sure why you would want to anyway, but you cannot have both of them together. That is why a lot of us have multiple cub cadets, so we can have each one of them set up for particular duties. So, start planning for another cub cadet.....but they may be hard to find out your way is what I often hear.

Cub Cadet 123
Old 06-26-2019, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the quick response and info... I think you're right... I might need to try and find a "backup" 149... LOL They do seem to be kind of hard to find around here though....

My real plan is to buy or build a loader for the 149 and keep the tiller installed... I dont want to have to go through the work to change from tiller to mower deck... I already have a riding mower that works for my yard... So if it works out, I hope to keep the tiller and loader on the Cub... I wouldnt mind having a 50" mower deck just to have...

Thanks again... Ill look for the fuse once I get it home this week...

Steve
Old 06-26-2019, 07:13 AM
Grand Member

Quadracerx, I have a 149 and although I installed one, I don't recall it originally having a fuse for the headlights.

You should go to, and familiarize yourself with the Technical Library on this forum, where you will be able to view and download for your 149, the operator manual, chassis service manual, tiller manual, wiring diagram, etc. You'll be able to answer a lot of your questions before you need to ask them.

Back to your headlights, most likely the lamps are burned out. They are a 4411 PAR 36 sealed beam are are readily available. There are also LED replacements for them.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 AM

My new to me 149 has working headlights and there is an in-line glass style fuse holder a few inches from the switch.

I can probably take a pic of it later today if that would help.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:42 AM
Grand Member

It just came to mind, ask the previous owner of the 149 if the balance gears have been removed. Hopefully he will say "Yes". They are a ticking time bomb imho.

Cub Cadet 123
Old 07-04-2019, 12:11 AM

Ok... So I finally got my 149 home today.... I love this thing!! Everything works except the Headlights... Which I knew already...

Upon further inspection.... I HAVE NO WIRING TO THE HEADLIGHTS!!!!!

So now should I make my own harness or buy someones? Im leaning toward buying someone's... As Im not good with electrical stuff...

Any suggestions? HELP!!

Thanks again... This group is awesome!!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:33 AM
Grand Member

There should be a breakout in the OEM harness already close to where the wies breakout to the S/G
Unless someone has butchered it up.
Just a single wire from the terminal in the breakout to the lights and of course a jumper to the 2nd lite and a jumper to ground and the 2nd light if that's what you want to call a harness.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:34 AM
Grand Member

Replacing a complete wire harness in one of these tractors is no easy task unless you plan on tearing it down to it's bones. The wires when bundled are quite stiff and go into tight bendy places. Most of the connections are in places that a five year old would have trouble getting his hands into. Not a fun job for someone "not good with electrical stuff".

Since you already have lights, the question is: Is the switch there and are there any wires going to it? Maybe all you need is to install some wiring from the switch to the lights.

On another note, I currently have four Cub Cadets, all with headlights, and have had countless other Cubs and brands with headlights. I can honestly say I can't remember ever using the lights on any of them.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:33 PM

Ok... So upon further inspection... I found the switched hot wire for the headlights laying in the engine compartment...!! So Im planning on making the harness myself so I have two questions"

1) What color wire are the ground and hot wires going to the headlights?
2) Which terminal on the headlights is hot... And which is ground?

I figure if Im going to do it, I should use factory colors for the wiring. The hot wire I found has paint all over it, so I cant tell what color it was or is....

I guess I have a third question... What size fuse should I use? Ill put a fuse holder inline of the power wire....

As always thanks for the help...

Steve