Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 07-02-2018, 09:47 AM
Grand Member

Default 359 50C deck drive belt question

I'm confused, partstree calls for a "Cub Cadet 954-3005 BELT-V 1/2 X 85.5" for the 50C deck that came with my 1912. I blindly ordered the belt and received it. When I removed the deck and pulled the cover off, cleaned everything up, and went to put it on and it is WAY shorter than the one I took off by at least 10"-15". I took the old shredded one to TSC and measured it on their belt measurement tool the best I could and it measures over 101" (which is the last number on the scale). I've searched the board and found many references to this being an 85.5" belt. Is it possible the PO had the belt improperly routed and used a longer belt to compensate? The tensioner was pulled toward the rear mounting bracket and the belt at that point only had about 1" clearance between where it comes off the idler to go to the spindle and where the belt goes across from the outer spindles. In the manual it looks like it should be pulled toward the center spindle. OR is there a change somewhere that I cannot find. The manual on this site for the 50C deck shows the older style deck without the front wheels, mine has the front wheels. The belt routing does look a little different than mine. I already returned the 85.5" so I can't just try it again, and decided to ask before I go get another one.
#2 cart
GREEN 314 with integral sleeve hitch, H2 and independent brake upgrade from a 317, and front hydraulic blade, 48" deck
Old 07-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Grand Member

I would suggest you put the correct belt on your 50C deck.
954-3005,----- 88.5" belt, and route it correctly and mow happily ever after
You might post a pix of your deck in the event that you don't have a 50" deck or someone has done modifications to it.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Grand Member

It's definitely a 50C, the shell has been replaced (it's yellow). The PO told me he had the shell replaced and the deck rebuilt, but I found the center spindle was bad when I mowed with it the first time and I replaced that but now I'm having trouble with the belt. Did you mean 85.5"?

20180612_160423538_iOS.jpg
20180612_160415604_iOS.jpg
#2 cart
GREEN 314 with integral sleeve hitch, H2 and independent brake upgrade from a 317, and front hydraulic blade, 48" deck
Old 07-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorner View Post
It's definitely a 50C, the shell has been replaced (it's yellow). The PO told me he had the shell replaced and the deck rebuilt, but I found the center spindle was bad when I mowed with it the first time and I replaced that but now I'm having trouble with the belt. Did you mean 85.5"?

Attachment 93924
Attachment 93926
Ya, arthritis makes the fingers not so flexible
We need a pix of the deck not only off the tractor, but the cover off also.
I'm betting it is just a routing issue.
both old/newer 50's use the same belt.
the routing is a little tricky, but not overly so.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Grand Member

I can figure out the routing, I was just confused by the length of the old one vs what is called for. I'll pick up an 85" or 86", or maybe both at TSC and see which one fits better routed the way the manual says and see what happens, and return the one that doesn't fit. Since it calls for 85.5", it could go either way. Thanks ol'George.

#2 cart
Old 07-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Banned

I'm confused.
There is really only one way the belt can be routed and work. If you can figure out the routing yourself, then there was no need to ask the question. It should be obvious it was installed wrong, and therefore the incorrect length.

Better post a pic to make sure you get it right.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Grand Member

Don't feel bad, several times I've replaced those deck belts and scratched my old head saying I know I have the right belt, how come it don't fit.
Then Duh, routing is wong er wrong?
FWIW:
order a Goodyear instapower series belt or OEM cub, they are made to run on those backside idlers and 1/4 twists of a mule drive when necessary.
Evilpay are usually the best prices.
Also take the idler off it's pivot and grease it well, as they hang up and ruin a new belt quick.
Also inspect your idler spring for hook attachment breakage.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
I'm confused.
There is really only one way the belt can be routed and work. If you can figure out the routing yourself, then there was no need to ask the question. It should be obvious it was installed wrong, and therefore the incorrect length.

Better post a pic to make sure you get it right.
You may think there's only one way to route it, but I found another way to route it (incorrectly) and this one was routed the wrong way. I am not at home, and I don't have it apart to take a picture. I don't take pictures of everything as I work, unless I know I will have questions. I put this all back together with a belt from TSC that was close to the measurement, routing it the only way the belt that length would fit, and put it on and went and mowed one pass and knew something was wrong because the two outer spindles were slipping, so I parked it and went to the internet to research whats going on today while I have some downtime at work. Here is a webfind picture and the red is how mine had to be routed with a belt that length. I thought it was strange that I had to slide the belt under the idler to get it installed.

Inked245761_LI.jpg

Going the other way with the shorter belt makes a heck of a lot more sense, but like I said, I went with what I had, and I was confused by all the parts lists calling for an 85.5" when I was holding a used up 100+" belt in my hand that came off it.

And, this is a BS statement "If you can figure out the routing yourself, then there was no need to ask the question." What is this forum for then if it's wrong to ask a question? I figured out the routing with the longer belt and it didn't work right, so I came here to question it. I guess I should have just figured out that the previous owner put the wrong belt on and routed it wrong too and he apparently was using it that way.
#2 cart
Old 07-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Banned

There is only one way to mount it. The line in red will not keep the belt tight, as you saw, it ended with a shredded belt.

It wasn't a BS statement. You saying you didn't need to post a pic because you could figure out the routing was the BS statement. If that was the case, there would have been no need to ask in the first place. That was what irritated me. Not the question..... but the response to the offered help.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Grand Member

Too much time wasted arguing semantics with you. I was referring to figuring out the routing of the longer belt. My original question was regarding the length of the belt, not the routing of it. The too long belt only fits one way, and it goes around every pulley and it has tension on it, there is no other indication of it being wrong other than the crappy job it does of mowing. I am pretty sure (going from memory) that my GT48 deck is routed the exact same way this one was, and it's still the belt that was on it when I got it. I really don't understand why stuff like this gets you all hot and bothered...
#2 cart