Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 04-18-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Synthetic Oil for My Cub GT 2000

After researching the matter, I decided to go with synthetic oil as the tractor now has about 160 hours on it. I am always concerned about heat--I had an 1863 that got so hot the muffler glowed. I know the 1863 likely was not tuned right, but the issues have made me worry constantly. I never had this issues with my Sears Craftsman tractor which had a 20 hp Kohler Command vertical engine. With that in mind, I have been reading that synthetic oil runs cooler, and I have been waiting to put synthetic oil in after the break in period. I decided to use Rotella t6, and I used a sightly larger filter--NAPA 41516 Platinum. Maybe it is my imagination, but the tractor seemed quieter after about 5 minutes, and it did not seem as hot. After about 30 minutes running, I could put my hand on the muffler for a second or so, and it was not that hot. I wish I had a temperature guage to verify the difference, but I do not. I'll update on this matter as the season goes on, but for now, I'm impressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180418_132804.jpg (24.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20180418_142710.jpg (21.9 KB, 78 views)
Old 04-18-2018, 05:49 PM
Banned

You actually touched the muffler after the engine was at operating temp? That was smart.

Tell me this: How would oil reduce exhaust temps? As an experienced mechanic, I'll wait for an answer.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:38 PM

Fortunately J-Mech your wait for the answer is not long.

And my answer is....... I don't have a damn clue. I'm not a mechanic, and I don't play one in the movies. All I know is the engine appears to run cooler. I didn't place my hand on the muffler like some moron either. I quickly tapped it and noticed it was not that hot. I touched it several times quickly and found it was not that hot throughout the period I had the tractor running, which was about 30 minutes. I noticed engine did not run on when I turned it off either, which it normally does when he gets hot. I usually let it sit with the hood opened to cool off, and again, I noticed it cooled down quicker. Could this all be my imagination, my hope that it is running cooler, maybe.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:42 PM
Grand Member

Crank that thing up and mow with it, I guarantee yall not put yer finner on da muffler.
Your test is called wishful thinking.
Nothing wrong with synthetic oil, it's good stuff, but a real test is to use comparable conditions including same ambient temp and identical load.
and a infrared reader.
Without that, it is an uneducated guess or S.W.A.G
Old 04-18-2018, 07:48 PM

George,

You're likely right, and this weekend if it doesn't snow or the temperature isn't below zero--winter from hell--I'll get a chance to run it under load. I may get a temperature device of some kind just to keep track of it.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Administrator

I need a drink after reading this thread.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 04-18-2018, 11:54 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAO65 View Post
George,

You're likely right, and this weekend if it doesn't snow or the temperature isn't below zero--winter from hell--I'll get a chance to run it under load. I may get a temperature device of some kind just to keep track of it.
But for a true test, it's to late. You never checked temps before the new oil.
I think it's like a placebo, but hey, if you're happy, I'm happy.
Stay cool.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:29 AM
Grand Member

I think you may be misconceiving the idea that the synthetic oil doesn't thermally break down like conventional oil with making the engine run cooler. The lubrication of the synthetic oil may be better than the conventional oil, so it could cling to surfaces a bit more and cause a little less friction and thereby, preventing some of the heat transfer from friction. However, any such variation would likely be incommensurable or in the least, very insignificant. I run synthetic oil in most of my engines. They still heat up and dissipate heat, the same as when I run them with conventional oil.

It may seem like it doesn't heat up as much, but in reality, it does to a point where without proper instruments to determine how much, you will not be able to physically notice it without the aid of proper instruments. Keep in mind that magicians make their living off of deceiving our senses. This reminds me of Socrates' discourse with Theaetetus, in which it is discovered that knowledge is not perception, but reflection upon the perceptions.

Now, let's all be safe and keep our hands away from running engines!

Cub Cadet 123
Old 04-19-2018, 07:16 AM

My 1863, purchased new back in about 1992, has always run way too hot to touch the muffler. But, I am not concerned. Seems normal for an air cooled engine. No temperature measurements. I use only synthetic oil and an oversize oil filter on the 18hp Kohler. Years ago I added an oil cooler to the blower housing. The oil hoses connect to an under oil filter adaptor. The cooler fins are blown out a few times a year with compressed air as it accumulates dirt/debris. I don't know if the oil cooler helps, but warm air exits the cooler.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:05 AM

Bugeye,

I thought about installing one of those oil coolers, but I think I just may be overreacting to the matter from past experiences. I also had a 1974 Monte Carlo overheat on me when I was a kid, and it stopped running. I was told it had a vapor lock from the heat. I ended up having to replace one of the heads on it. The coolers I looked at were part numbers 24-755-52-S and 54-755-21-S. I think you have the later numbered one. I didn't want to cut into the shroud or spend a lot of money. The 24-755-52-S can be bought cheap on eBay--I guess they're discontinued--but I wasn't sure it would fit, and Cub dealer said there was no reference for it and cannot advise the use of it on my tractor. It was smaller and didn't require cutting into the shroud. So in the end, I went a cheaper route for now. I'll end up getting an infared temperature device just to keep record of it; unfortunately, I didn't get one prior to changing to synthetic oil--not a smart move on my behalf.