Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Resources > Restoration Tips

Notices

Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Default Cub Cadet 1250

Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted, but I appreciate all the help I've gotten off these forums (even so much so I donate to the site).

This past summer, between starting my own business and everything else going on, I didn't have time to take a look at the Cub when it started to just pour oil when I was running it. I ended up getting my DYT4000 running and that's what I've mowed with this season and let me tell you, I miss my Cub!!!

I've finally got around to looking at it and seems like the motor mounts are no longer in existence, so the engine moves when you push on it with your hand. I figure this is my main issue, but since I've gotta take the engine off to fix it, I figure I might as well start making her look nice too.

Yesterday I got some degreaser and the power washer and went to town on the 1250, the snow thrower, and the deck (leaving the power angle plow and tiller for another day). I'm essentially ready to break her down, but I wanted some opinions.

I've read Kirk's killer kohler and while I'd love to do something like that, I'm not much of a mechanic. I'm a engineer, but it's more of the nerdy kind Is there a good reference guide on rebuilding engines? I can take instructions and do just about anything, but I need good starting material to find out what I'm working on. I have the manuals for everything already, I guess I'm just looking for tips on the best way to do this, and which upgrades I should do.

I know there's a steering upgrade, also seen newer fuel pumps and starters -- are these worth it?

Should I get the engine rebuild kit and then go to a machine shop to have the piston redone (or is it not the piston, I forget..)

I found a guy near me that does sandblasting and painting, so I think I'm going to have him tackle most if not all of that.

I'll get some pics of the project soon, she looks awesome compared to how she did just after the power wash.

Essentially I'm hoping to just get a little direction on this project as of right now I know I need to at least pull the engine, redo the mounts, and I figure if I have it out I might as well rebuild it--or maybe that's not the best idea, I don't know.

Thanks everyone!

martyrant
Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

Engine rebuilding is like this: Tear it down, take it to a machine shop. They will need the block and crank at least. I suggest taking them the head too. They will tell you how bad the block and crank are and what size piston and rod you need. THEN you order the kit. I suggest a complete kit with valves, gaskets, piston/rings, rod and tune up. That way you get all you need in one shot. I suggest either getting parts off E-bay here, or from Pats Small Engines.

As far as "Kirks Killer Kohler"...... yeah, yeah. Why does everyone think they need more power? If you've never done a motor I am like, so big on K-I-S-S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). Just no reason to make it harder than it is. Go ahead if you wish, but I really encourage people who have never rebuilt a motor before to spend a lot of time making sure they do it right before they go trying a "custom build". Gear heads like Kirk make it look sooooo easy. People who watch me work say the same thing. Well, we've been in a million motors and to us, it is easy. I encourage you to just stick to the basics, and focus on getting it right, instead of "hoppin' it up". Just my Do whatever you want.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 PM

I figured as much on the killer kohler. I'll keep it stock as I need to learn, I do the same thing when learning new tech.

Thanks for the suggestion and the quick directions / general idea (as I didn't have one!) J-Mech!