Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 11-19-2022, 11:12 AM

Default 2182 SGT - Trans Gaskets Replacement

Hello all,

Just posted intro in new member section and am hoping I could get some insight into the two gasket replacements on my 2182 (Model 145-743-100) transmission/rearend. Newly purchased and replacing all fluids/filters/seals/gaskets...complete disassemble with additional repairs/part replacement as needed.

In cleaning and degreasing the machine it seems like there may be leakage from the field formed sealant gasket between Rear Trans Axle Case Housing & Middle Adapter Housing Assembly. I would like to disassemble and replace this gasket as well as the other main gasket between Middle Adapter Housing Assembly & Front Hydro Trans Pump Housing. Have already purchased front preformed gasket and gasket sealant for the second one.

BUT HERE IS THE QUESTION...if I separate the sections am I going to have a million loose pieces falling out all over that I will not be able to get back together easily? The rear section seems to come apart with only 4 large bolts, two at top that are exterior, and two at bottom that are internal behind trans axle gears that would have to come out I believe and I have no idea what parts may fall loose in Adapter Housing. Can also see how front section comes unbolted but same concern about problems with loose parts if that is disassembled. Would like to do these gasket replacements myself but will farm out to dealer/service center if you guys know it can quickly become a nightmare for someone who is only moderately savvy on mechanic work. Follow up curiosity is why do they not have preformed gasket for the rear section in question when they have seals/gaskets for everything else???

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance to all who may share their knowledge and experience.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:22 PM
Grand Member

More than likely the cork gasket between the pump and the trans is leaking. You can check by cleaning up the area then run the tractor. The leak will show up a lot easier than guessing.
If it is not the pump, you will have to remove trans, the pump, the filter and such, then remove the welch plug down at the bottom by the suction tube, remove the ring retainer holding the bearing in, then remove the 6 bolts holding the cover on. The sillycone will make it hard to separate but it will come apart. No parts will fall out.
The parts diagrams show what is in that area of the tranny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medium.jpg (28.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 11-19-2022, 04:26 PM

Dark,

Thanks for your helpful response; greatly appreciated.

Already have the complete transmission out with trans axles removed as part of complete tear down/disassembly of overall machine. Every single piece has been taken totally apart with the exception of the Kubota engine and the three main trans/hydraulic housing sections/pump still being together. These trans gaskets and harness rewiring issues are last major work to complete before finishing the reassembly process...and hopefully having it running 100%!

Was not really essential to determine the specific origin of leak as my intention is replacing any/every seal/gasket, fluid, filter, hose possible and a myriad of other parts front to back in order to remake machine as close as possible to new condition. Figure I want to take total advantage of replacing all these wearable items while it is entirely apart. +/-35 yr old machine and I have no idea when or what, if anything, has ever been replaced...going for the ounce of prevention theory.

Again my thanks.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:25 PM

For what it's worth, I found it worth it to have this pliers to take the locking ring off when removing the adapter housing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 11-21-2022, 05:26 AM
Senior Moderator

You may want to do the drain hole upgrade in the case so your axle tubes don't hold the moisture. Here is some good info for ya.

https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/...ad.php?t=33244