Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Welcome to OCC > Welcome to OnlyCubCadets

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Grand Member

Default Howdy from Richmond, Ky.

Wanted to introduce myself. I am from Richmond, Ky. just south of Lexington home of the Kentucky Wildcats. I have owned several older cubs over the past few years, my first being a sweet refurbished 107 with a 42 inch deck. The next couple of Cubs I happened upon was a very nice original 147 and a nice original 149 and as my last true cub a 129. I enjoyed these excellent cubs greatly, but someone would always come along and some how come up with the cash and talk me out of my beloved Cubs. Well tomorrow I have the pleasure of going to pick up the cub that started my love for the little tractors. My grandmother is no longer able to take care of her lawn and is having it mowed by a service now, so she calls and tells me it's time I can come and get her 1973 128. She has owned it since 1974, purchasing it from the original owner. His reason for selling was due to a heart attack and was no longer able to do any kind of physical activity. I used to mow her yard when we visited and fell in love with the thing, and yes I would do what most kids would do to the gear driven cubs, I would make it pop the front wheels off the ground. Got my butt busted for that too... LOL...
She has had the local Cub dealer come out every spring since she purchased the mower and do a complete once over and tune up and replace anything that was worn out. I know for a fact a couple of exhaust valves have been replaced, along with a head, obviously new belts, blades, batteries, the normal consumables. It is fairly stock with only rear wheel weights on 6-12 rims with tractor treads as the only accessories. It has been a few years since I have seen the mower. Even the tires are original. It has never been left outside, always in the garage. I have been wrestling with weather I should do a complete redo, would be my first, or just fix what if anything is wrong with it, and keep on using it as I don't intend for it to be a museum piece. I think I would like to find a nice tiller for it and use it for garden purposes and pulling a trailer around the house for misc. work. I guess I'll wait to see how it looks and runs overall and will try to get some pictures posted tomorrow after we get back from the Cincinnati area with it. There is a great video on you tube with a guy that completely goes thru a 129. He does a great job of video and editing and is quite humorous. The title to start the videos is Cub Cadet Loader project 1. There are 25 videos in all. He gives some great tips on how to remove broken bolts, screws and other things. Take care and I look forward to looking much deeper into this site for help and information.

thanks
DWayne
Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 PM

DWayne

Great story...sounds like your a Cubber for life!

Oh yeah...dont forget

Jeff (teet)

1962 Original
Old 06-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Grand Member

Glad to have you!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 06-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Grand Member

_DX3_

Great story about the 128. Nice to see its going to stay in the family.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:19 AM

Welcome to OCC. That's a great story. Since you haven't seen this tractor in years, I would wait until I saw what condition it was in before deciding to restore it or leave it original. It's nothing like owning a piece of your memories like this, and if it's in good to great original condition, I would just fix what's wrong with it and use it on special occasions. If it's a rust bucket or ding and band up real good, then a restore my be appropriate. Restoring it would give you great pleasure, I'm sure. However you decide, it's yours to see fit to do with what you will.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 AM

Wanted It
Had A Fit
Got It

MY Cubs Original x 2 , 70 x 7 , 71 x 2 , 72 x 4 , 73 , 76 , 100 x 3 , 104 , 106 , 109 , 128 , 129, 147 x 2 , 804 , 2 Wheel Horses and Lorenzo's 2 - 804's
Old 06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Banned

Great story can't want to see the pics!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Grand Member

OK, finally got the 128 home today. I was very pleased with the condition it was in, as I had mentioned it has been about three decades since I last used it and saw it for more than a passing glance. Follow along below for the pics and some comments. If anyone has any input or information they see to be important or just good ole trivia, please feel free to post some replies.. I did see some numbers on the bottom of the seat deck and on top of the heat shield above the muffler. Was this factory notation or from a dealer maybe? Just curious to know. OK now for the pics:

Relegated to the back corner of the garage. Not a place of prominence for such a great icon.

My wife loading it onto the trailer

At home after mowing 2+ acres this afternoon. Cuts real nice even if the deck has some rust holes.

Several Close up pics. I thought it had the rear 6-12 tires, but they are the 8.50's and that is fine either way . All tires are 1973 issue.

More pictures in next post

While mowing today, I noticed a burning grease smell and some smoke coming out from under the front of the engine, I am pretty sure either one or both of the mule drive pulleys are losing the bearings, starting to seize up. Will check them later this week. Now should I leave it alone and use it as is, or do a complete refurbish? Decisions, decisions!! Thanks for all the welcomes and comments.

DWayne
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Grand Member

More Pictures:

Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Well, Me being me, I would leave it as is, maybe service the engine, and service the deck, if it needs it, Get her in Excelent Running Condition. But as far as the looks go.

She's a Beauty, and showing her age proudly, If any thing, I'd try to get it looking like it did all those years ago, If the cub you remember was always spotless, then make her spotless, if that's how she looked, then leave her be.

Just a personal thought, My cub always slept under the stars, my whole life, all 17 years. I don't remember her when she was born. I remember the last few years of her. So to remember the person who I inherited her from, I'm going to bring her back like when he drove her our the show room.

Now that's just me, relive your child hood in her. Cherish her. Love her.
Cody