Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-08-2016, 11:03 PM

Default 2082 need help identifying what is missing

I was mowing the lawn with my 2082 with Kohler 20hp engine and I noticed a light smoking coming from front of motor and smell of oil, I turned it off and found that the oil was coming from a hole below the oil filler neck. I would think it is a pcv valve or something that is missing, it must have come off somehow.

Can anyone tell me what is supposed to go in the hole?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160608_174454.jpg (20.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Banned

The governor shaft.

Did you not notice the engine was running really fast?

That motor is pretty much done. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 PM

I'm an auto mechanic, don't know much about lawn motors.

How do I fix it
Old 06-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red89notch View Post

How do I fix it

Then I would have thought you would have noticed a loss of the governor.

You can't. It was a known issue with those engines. Now that the governor gear fell out, it will have gotten chewed up on it's way down the motor. I've seen one or two that didn't get obliterated, but it's rare. The pin unless you can find it is NLA, so unless you can find one, or have it made.... You will have to completely disassemble the motor to install.... it's not worth it. The housing won't hold a new pin anyway, so it will be a lesson in adaption and machining. I would be surprised if that is the only hole in the motor. Look below that on the right side of the block (your left if your standing in front looking at it). May be another hole there.

Look for another used engine, buy a new one. The Kohler V-twins are a suitable replacement. As are the Vanguards.

Looks like your missing some tin work as well.....
Old 06-09-2016, 12:18 AM

I had all the tin out because the starter went out, I started the engine and didn't ave throttle control. I originally stopped it because I smelled oil. And I was able to throttle down, at that time I did not notice any running issues. Went to start again and the starter took a crap, it had been acting up latley. When I started the motor I heard the air coming from the hole and that's when I noticed it running high rpms, that's why I was thinking it was a pcv or something causing an air leak, again I don't have experience in lawn motors and didnt know about a govenor

I drained oil and there is no metal in the oil, the engine does run, just high idle, it doesn't make any noise. There is no hint of engine damage at this point.

I will start looking for a new engine, but in the mean time what will happen if I run it like it is?
Old 06-09-2016, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
I will start looking for a new engine, but in the mean time what will happen if I run it like it is?
Seriously, your a mechanic?

Wow.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:54 AM

And a good one at tha

As I said before I have never worked on a lawn mower engine before in my life. I understand what a govenor does, never seen one or even knew there was one on a lawn mower engine. I work on all my snowmobile and atvs, none have a govenor.

Just because I'm a auto mechanic doesn't mean I know anything about a lawn mower engine besides it needs 4 things to run.

This is the reason I asked what is missing, because I didn't know.

And I shut the engine down only because I heard the air leak and I was not able to get the idle down, but it didn't seem to be any higher idle then if I have the throttle all the way, and based on the fact the engine didn't just keep climbing rpms, rather was just staying high as it would when throttle is all the way.

So that's why I asked what would happen if I run it, because it ran as I just didn't have throttle control.

If I don't know i ask.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:14 AM
Banned

An engine is an engine, is an engine. Doesn't matter what it's in.
When I went to school, they started with simple engines and then worked up to more complicated ones. First year was pretty boring. I guess I just don't understand how you can be a "good" mechanic if you don't know or understand a simple small engine. Kind of like saying your a chef, but don't know how to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Google "engine governor".

Cast flywheels can explode just above 4K RPM. In the (garden) pulling tractor circuit, cast flywheels aren't allowed on engines that run at 4K or more. Too dangerous. Motor without a governor should do around 6K, maybe more depending on how good it's tuned and how wore out it is. Think you can regulate it? Be my guest. Your the one sitting on it.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Download the service manual and you will become enlightened. Here is the link for the download.
http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4648
BX2670 with FEL
Old 06-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Grand Member

Quote:

How do I fix it
My BIL had a Magnum that the governor shaft came loose in.

I can't remember if the shaft came all the way out or part way. I do remember the plastic governor gear was destroyed. I also remember when he wound it up, it would sling grass across the county road and smoke would come out of the top of the engine.

That said, several years later, I bought the tractor with a new replacement engine and the old one thrown in which I fixed. I bought a new governor. Installed it per Kohler service bulletin which included, I believe drilling and pinning the governor shaft so it couldn't move.

There was a hole in one of the crankcase halves. I fixed that with JB Weld.

The engine fired up and ran good. That was about 15 years ago. I still have the engine.

Gaskets aren't cheap, don't know about any other parts or the value of your time. Maybe you could press a welch plug in the governor shaft hole and control your rpm with the hand throttle to get my for awhile?