Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 07:42 PM
Administrator

I know some guys love to re-pack wheel bearings..............I don't.

I buy the Life Time Sealed Bearings. Put them in, and be done with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RBC Bearings Wheel Bearings.jpg (16.9 KB, 76 views)

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 07-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
Just responding to this now because I did not see it before. We were talking about aftermarket ebay bearings which are considered sealed bearings. They have covers on both sides. I never said the original bearing was a sealed bearing. Before you go calling someone green maybe try reading the whole conversation. I don't think you need a picture of the sealed bearings but if you want to challenge it I can provide a picture for you.
I bought a set not long ago. I know what they look like. Filling the hub is still a waste of grease, and messy....and unnecessary, unless there is a zerk. Then it's required.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:00 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
I know some guys love to re-pack wheel bearings..............I don't.

I buy the Life Time Sealed Bearings. Put them in, and be done with it.
Now that one does not look sealed .. on that side anyway.
2 sets I got now from ebay were sealed both sides. Easy enough to pull one seal and pack. However if yuh ou do that a few times eventually the cheap rubber seal with probably crack.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
I bought a set not long ago. I know what they look like. Filling the hub is still a waste of grease, and messy....and unnecessary, unless there is a zerk. Then it's required.
And in the post I talked about that I mentioned adding a zerk.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:44 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
So, In one post you criticize me and call me green about cubs. Then you tell me there are not sealed bearings for cubs basically and I must be stupid you might as well say. Then you make a comment about not filling hub with grease, because grease does not absorb water and its a waste of grease. And you love to jump on any post I make if you feel like you can get one up on me or make some kind of dig. Jon, your making yourself look stupid. If you read through this post it looks as if all you did was read one post from me and jump on it. Try to control yourself dude.. Try counting to 10 or something.. Maybe don't drink and post.

I will list how you were wrong now like you love to try and do to me

1. There are most definitely sealed both sides bearings available for both 1" and 3/4". You can get them sealed BOTH SIDES in plastic or metal.

2. You contradict yourself also. You said water should not get in. According to you the seals are cheap and hardly seal. So whats keeping the water out? I have deep enough puddles here at times to sink the front spindle. Besides that I know I have some wheels here that the bearings do not fit perfectly in.. I know grease and water can pass there. Guess all your wheels are perfect just like you.

3. I know grease does not adsorb water. It does not need to. If you pack grease as tight as you can in hub it will take up most of the space which means there is less space for water. Besides that, centrifugal force will push grease from center to outer parts of wheel thus pushing grease outwards towards the bearings and helping to seal out water.

I would love to see you try and find fault in anything I just said.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Grand Member

Not picking on anyone or taking sides,---- just thinking:
There are shielded bearings, and sealed bearings and open bearings.
No need to explain, as it is self explanatory.
As far as centrifugal force, I would think the wheels turn pretty slow so that would not be a factor on a lawn/garden situation.

All that said, most bearings are not a tight fit on the shaft or wheel bore so water can get in if exposed to it.
Be it submerging in a crossing or rain, or subject to well meaning owner of a power washer.
So in my mind there is the thought for trying to seal it up tight, which usually don't work or let it in and let it run out.
Personally I just pack the open bearings with grease, with my fingers, and let them be.
I guarantee they will not fail on the highway pulling a boat trailer @ 70 mph
Old 07-21-2018, 09:53 AM

I just buy the $10 sealed bearings. I install them as I get them, then when the go bad I replace them. Not worth the hassle of repacking. They last quite a while.
I replaced mine on the 108 5 years ago and still going strong.
169 soon to be mower
122x2 now parts machines
Parts 129
149 parts
61 "O"
104 job to be determined
Old 07-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green stripe wide frame View Post
I just buy the $10 sealed bearings. I install them as I get them, then when the go bad I replace them. Not worth the hassle of repacking. They last quite a while.
I replaced mine on the 108 5 years ago and still going strong.
My approach as well.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
Not picking on anyone or taking sides,---- just thinking:
There are shielded bearings, and sealed bearings and open bearings.
No need to explain, as it is self explanatory.
As far as centrifugal force, I would think the wheels turn pretty slow so that would not be a factor on a lawn/garden situation.

All that said, most bearings are not a tight fit on the shaft or wheel bore so water can get in if exposed to it.
Be it submerging in a crossing or rain, or subject to well meaning owner of a power washer.
So in my mind there is the thought for trying to seal it up tight, which usually don't work or let it in and let it run out.
Personally I just pack the open bearings with grease, with my fingers, and let them be.
I guarantee they will not fail on the highway pulling a boat trailer @ 70 mph
I understand what your thinking about the centrifugal force.. There is a lot more force than you may think when your tractor is doing 5MPH what do you think the rpm of the spindle is??

Here is a simple video that will give you and idea of what little motion it takes to create quite a bit of force.

https://youtu.be/Bzf7tkhMQ0Y
Old 07-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
I understand what your thinking about the centrifugal force.. There is a lot more force than you may think when your tractor is doing 5MPH what do you think the rpm of the spindle is??

Here is a simple video that will give you and idea of what little motion it takes to create quite a bit of force.

https://youtu.be/Bzf7tkhMQ0Y
And you say I'm the one who argues with everything. You debate every thing anyone says to you! And another 50% of the time you think someone was talking to you when they totally quoted someone else, then argue about that! You are mostly annoying coop. Way more annoying than informational, or helpful.

Oh, and the front spindles RPM will always be zero. The spindle doesn't spin, the hub does.

I can find things wrong with your listed statements....but you are not going to listen because you are a know it all and will just continue to debate. I fold. You aren't worth the headache.