Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

Cub Cadet Classics R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres Binder Books

CC Speciaalties IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service


If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!



Only Cub Cadets Chat!

OCC Archives


Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Rear Engine Rider & ZTR (RER)

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-29-2018, 09:45 PM
MattH's Avatar
MattH MattH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: VA
Posts: 76
Default RZT50 caked in oil

End of last mowing season I noticed the smell of burning oil and light smoke. Today I did an oil change and mowed for the first time and cleaned mower up a little. The entire deck the motor sits on was covered in the greasy substance the oil and the mixture of grass and dirt makes. The driveshaft pulley under the deck is caked as well. Also there is a distinct dark oil splat mark where oil has been coming out of the exhaust. I've done some research and seems a head gasket or possibly bearing seal is to blame. I pulled the carb and everything was normal.
__________________
1450 Dual Stick Hydro | 42" Power Angle Blade | Model 1 Tiller | Homemade Wheel Weights
RZT 50
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Cub Cadet 123's Avatar
Cub Cadet 123 Cub Cadet 123 is offline
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,986
Default

It is quite possibly a head gasket, Matt. Did you happen to look at or remove the metal shrouds on your engine? After being stored all winter, mice like to build nests in those tiny little places. You could have gathered a nest and if you did not remove it at the start of the season, overheated your engine, blowing a head gasket or worse, warping a head. I hope it is just a gasket for you and a minor set back. LOL= Lots of Luck on your situation...

Cub Cadet 123
__________________
Still don't know what I'm doing in OHIO?.....If you find me, then please point me back toward INDIANA.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2018, 08:07 PM
MattH's Avatar
MattH MattH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: VA
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Cadet 123 View Post
It is quite possibly a head gasket, Matt. Did you happen to look at or remove the metal shrouds on your engine? After being stored all winter, mice like to build nests in those tiny little places. You could have gathered a nest and if you did not remove it at the start of the season, overheated your engine, blowing a head gasket or worse, warping a head. I hope it is just a gasket for you and a minor set back. LOL= Lots of Luck on your situation...

Cub Cadet 123
Which pieces are you referring to as shrouds? Unfortunately I have had issues with mice in my shed.
__________________
1450 Dual Stick Hydro | 42" Power Angle Blade | Model 1 Tiller | Homemade Wheel Weights
RZT 50
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Cub Cadet 123's Avatar
Cub Cadet 123 Cub Cadet 123 is offline
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post
Which pieces are you referring to as shrouds? Unfortunately I have had issues with mice in my shed.
The metal tins that cover the heads and the flywheel shroud. Usually, after you start it for just a moment, the mice and mice nest shoot out and get hung up on the fins of the heads. If you leave them on there, then it prevents the engine from cooling properly since air does not pass freely over the heads. This heats them up and problems ensue.

Lots of ideas on how to keep mice away from engines on this forum. I have always had luck with old pantyhose filled with mothballs and garlic on top of the engine. Just remember to remove them before starting the engine or else your nose will be sorry.

Cub Cadet 123
__________________
Still don't know what I'm doing in OHIO?.....If you find me, then please point me back toward INDIANA.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-26-2018, 08:43 AM
MattH's Avatar
MattH MattH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: VA
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Cadet 123 View Post
The metal tins that cover the heads and the flywheel shroud. Usually, after you start it for just a moment, the mice and mice nest shoot out and get hung up on the fins of the heads. If you leave them on there, then it prevents the engine from cooling properly since air does not pass freely over the heads. This heats them up and problems ensue.

Lots of ideas on how to keep mice away from engines on this forum. I have always had luck with old pantyhose filled with mothballs and garlic on top of the engine. Just remember to remove them before starting the engine or else your nose will be sorry.

Cub Cadet 123
Could possibly be my issue. I will check and report back. I’ve had problems with mice in my shed on other equipment.
__________________
1450 Dual Stick Hydro | 42" Power Angle Blade | Model 1 Tiller | Homemade Wheel Weights
RZT 50
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Cub Cadet is a premium line of outdoor power equipment, established in 1961 as part of International Harvester. During the 1960s, IH initiated an entirely new line of lawn and garden equipment aimed at the owners rural homes with large yards and private gardens. There were a wide variety of Cub Cadet branded and after-market attachments available; including mowers, blades, snow blowers, front loaders, plows, carts, etc. Cub Cadet advertising at that time harped on their thorough testing by "boys - acknowledged by many as the world's worst destructive force!". Cub Cadets became known for their dependability and rugged construction.

MTD Products, Inc. of Cleveland, Ohio purchased the Cub Cadet brand from International Harvester in 1981. Cub Cadet was held as a wholly owned subsidiary for many years following this acquisition, which allowed them to operate independently. Recently, MTD has taken a more aggressive role and integrated Cub Cadet into its other lines of power equipment.

This website and forum are not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc, website, and MTD Products Inc, is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: http://www.mtdproducts.com. The information and opinions expressed on this website are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or it's members, & do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc. IH®, INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER® are registered trademark of CNH America LLC

All material, images, and graphics from this site are the property of www.onlycubcadets.net. Any unauthorized use, reproductions, or duplications are prohibited unless solely expressed in writing.

Cub Cadet, Cub, Cadet, IH, MTD, Parts, Tractors, Tractor, International Harvester, Lawn, Garden, Lawn Mower, Kohler, garden tractor equipment, lawn garden tractors, antique garden tractors, garden tractor, PTO, parts, online, Original, 70, 71, 72, 73, 76, SO76, 80, 81, 86, 100, 102, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108,109, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 147, 149, 169, 182, 282, 382, 482, 580, 582, 582 Special, 680, 682, 782, 782D, 784, 800, 805, 882, 982, 984, 986, 1000, 1015, 1100, 1105, 1110, 1200, 1250, 1282, 1450, 1512, 1604, 1605, 1606, 1610, 1615, 1620, 1650, 1710, 1711, 1712, 1806, 1810, 1811, 1812, 1912, 1914.