Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 06-23-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
No, Kohler did.

Cub Cadet builds tractors.
Dang it, you're right. lol

i hate ordering parts for this thing. I don't know to tell them its a CC or a kohler engine. And some parts places want serial numbers, model numbers, engine brand, DNA etc....to order a part for it. Why can't i just say its a 350 chevy, now get me my head gasket!
Old 06-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracerx View Post
Dang it, you're right. lol

i hate ordering parts for this thing. I don't know to tell them its a CC or a kohler engine. And some parts places want serial numbers, model numbers, engine brand, DNA etc....to order a part for it. Why can't i just say its a 350 chevy, now get me my head gasket!
You know those counter jockeys have to know if it has air cond to look up a rear end gasket.
I eliminate all that by going to parts tree or cub cadet and looking up my own part numbers, then there is no problem as you know what you have, and what you need.
Also google will find you parts many times more economically because you have the part numbers it will also find you the cross references.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
You know those counter jockeys have to know if it has air cond to look up a rear end gasket.
I eliminate all that by going to parts tree or cub cadet and looking up my own part numbers, then there is no problem as you know what you have, and what you need.
Also google will find you parts many times more economically because you have the part numbers it will also find you the cross references.
Exactly.....I told a dealer if I have to take the time to get the serial number, spec number and whatever else you need, I'll just save a phone call to you and order it myself online.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:36 PM

UPDATE.....I put the new/used head on, new gaskets, studs, torgued properly, etc....

It was a lst 'hard' crank when it turned over, but it fired right up and sounded good.

BUT, the oil light is on. Yes, it has fresh oil and to the full line.

I thought maybe I should run it for 20-30 secs to get the oil circulating throughout the engine, and maybe the light would go off....so I did just that, ran it for less than 30 secs but the light stayed on. I shut it off in case I do have an 'oiling' problem.

Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks
Old 06-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Grand Member

make sure you didn't pinch a wire from the sender. if that's ok put a gauge in it to verify the oil psi
Old 06-25-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogtvpe View Post
make sure you didn't pinch a wire from the sender. if that's ok put a gauge in it to verify the oil psi
Will do dvog....

I noticed when i turn the key on, oil light is on and the display shows 'change oil'....I read that that is a change oil warning light and will stay on for 5 days and then doesn't reset for 2 hrs after you change the oil...

Anyway, took it for 1/2 lap around my yard, less than a minute, and it started to struuggle/lose power, I shut it off.

Oil pump out of it? Oil sending unit, if there is one? Stop now and sell it as is or for parts? lol
Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Grand Member

that half lap around yard probably started to seize it. now you've done damage.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogtvpe View Post
that half lap around yard probably started to seize it. now you've done damage.
I gave it a test run since the the 'change oil' light was being displayed. I had no reason to believe anything is wrong with the bottom end, or oil pump.

The original issue was a faulty valve seat that I believe I fixed.

Hell, I may have had the inline fuel shut valve turned the wrong way, and it ran out of gas. lol.

I bought this mower a few weeks ago , it was on my road, super cheap...figured I could fix it, keep it, sell it, double my money, or whatever. I have a JD rider as it is. I'm in for about $300 so far on the CC.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:01 PM

Success.

Took the valve cover off, EX rocker was extrememly loose...rocker was barely hanging on the push rod. My error I assume.

Spark plug black, fouled out. The EX valve ouut of whack and the fouled plug caused the engine to basically lose power and die.

I decided to take closuure plate off to see if I had bad cam gears or if I could see something else wrong. Everything looked good. No metal in the oil, nice and clean, no gas in oil, etc...I did find a wire to the ignition coil that needed some attention.

Put it all back together according to Kohlers service manual and it runs, sounds, and mows great...better than my JD L100, which is the same size as LTX1040.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you got a happy ending. Glad to hear you got it fixed.
BX2670 with FEL