Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Default 12HP Kohler Carburetor Floods, Deck Belt Electric Clutch, Oil Consumption

Hello to the group,
I'm hoping to find a solution to my CC 1250 hydrostatic with flooding carburetor. It's very hard to start, then coughs, spits & sputters for a couple of minutes then smooths out & runs OK.
While it's hard to start, if I stop cranking & remove the air filter cover, gasoline pours out of the inside of the cover and the lower portion of the filter is soaked. Leaving the cover off & cranking results in it starting up pretty easy & running OK.
Maybe the carb float is sticking low & allowing the carb to flood once I shut down the engine?
Another nagging issue is with the electric clutch for the deck belt..once it's been engaged for a while if it's switched off it won't come back on until it's cooled. Is there a rebuild kit or process for this or should it be replaced?

Lastly, I have to pour oil into the engine every time I use this machine..it burns it & leaks it. Having experience with old Mercedes Benz diesels, there's a list of common oil leaks available that often helps people like me keep the machine going a bit longer..is there such information available on the Cubs?

I really like this old tractor..just wish it'd behave better..
Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmidgett View Post
Hello to the group,
I'm hoping to find a solution to my CC 1250 hydrostatic with flooding carburetor. It's very hard to start, then coughs, spits & sputters for a couple of minutes then smooths out & runs OK.
While it's hard to start, if I stop cranking & remove the air filter cover, gasoline pours out of the inside of the cover and the lower portion of the filter is soaked. Leaving the cover off & cranking results in it starting up pretty easy & running OK.
Maybe the carb float is sticking low & allowing the carb to flood once I shut down the engine?
Another nagging issue is with the electric clutch for the deck belt..once it's been engaged for a while if it's switched off it won't come back on until it's cooled. Is there a rebuild kit or process for this or should it be replaced?

Lastly, I have to pour oil into the engine every time I use this machine..it burns it & leaks it. Having experience with old Mercedes Benz diesels, there's a list of common oil leaks available that often helps people like me keep the machine going a bit longer..is there such information available on the Cubs?

I really like this old tractor..just wish it'd behave better..
Sounds like you have the carburetor issues nailed down sounds like a classic case of sticky float/trash in carb. My suggestion is that you tear it down and rebuild it easy as pie.

As far as the burning and leaking of oil, the only way to solve it is to tear the motor down and see where your at. A simple ring job my be all you need along with replacing some gaskets and seals or you may need a complete rebuild. I believe you can find the information on this in the tech section.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Default 12hp carb leaking

i would remove the carb ,and check the float ,for leaks ,by placing it a cub of water ,look for leaks ,.it may just have a hole in it ,,if so get new one or solder it up ,replace the needle and seat ,,and reset the float ,now you may have fuel in your oil ,pull the dip stick .and smell ,you may be burning to much oil because you may have thinned you oil out from having fuel in it .hope this helps .David
Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Grand Member

On the clutch,
close up the air gap a bit they should be set @ .010, if you tighten the 3 nuts up say 1/2 turn it will help, as it sounds like it is a bit too much gap.
IIRR there is a a write up in the tech section or in the FAQ's
and lastly, welcome to Only Cub Cadets!!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Thanks for all the replies...very helpful.
I'll look into the carburetor float issue..thought it might be that; have seen it before.
Looking further into the oil consumption, there's an oily film on much of the outside of the engine, so I probably have a leak or to; should be easy enough to find once I clean the grime away. Thanks for the tip regarding sniffing the dip stick for gasoline..hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. If there is gas in the oil then that says piston rings are in order. This is a 1979 model, so it has some time on the engine (Kohler).

Here's a link to the PTO clutch info..thanks to R Bedell:
http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30

I really like this CC community..it'd be much harder to have this machine without helpful folks..thank you!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Default 12 hp carb floods

you can contact me at edizhook@msn,com ,if your breather ,assy is not working ,gas may enter through their ,David
Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 PM

Ole George...that was the issue..too much gap..I set it to .01 inch per the diagram & it works like a champ now..even cuts cleaner. It must have been slipping significantly; the gap was more than .035 before I adjusted it.
Thanks!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:28 PM

Hi David,
Dealing with the flooded carb prior to leaving for vacation, I shut the fuel petcock off at the end of the job. This afternoon, I found that the breather was dry as a bone after sitting for nearly three weeks. I opened the petcock & cranked the engine..it lit right up, better than it has in a year. So it appears that at least for the time being, the solution is to shut the fuel off between uses. I'll come around to repairing the float & needle issue soon. I have another old CC (a 1200) that I robbed the float out of a few years ago to repair the 1250..while I'm into the job perhaps I'll repair both.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Default 12 hp carb problem

thats right ,turn the fuel off ,and let it run dry ,
Old 03-01-2016, 05:41 PM

Default 12HP Kohler Carburetor Floods

I've been "managing" this flooding carburetor by shutting off the fuel petcock for a couple of years & I'm tired of it. This is on a 12 HP Kohler on a 1250 Cub Cadet.
Can someone direct me to the proper carburetor rebuild kit, please?