Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 11-18-2021, 06:46 PM

Default 102 Carb issue

I like the looks of that for sure. I didn’t even end up putting the stack on. Ran into carburetor trouble so now I’m either going to have to get a new replacement or find a used #26. There’s a small engine repair shop near by and the guy says he might have one but I’m having a hard time catching him there. Dang it!
Old 11-19-2021, 09:10 AM
Grand Member

I also like the exhaust system, it appears quiet with the compact muffler and the stack is your personal touch.
All that said,
when you run it a bit you will notice the induced vibration in it.
In my humble opinion if it were mine, I would come up with a tasteful brace attached to the engine in the vicinity of the "up" stack.
With some thought, you can make it inconspicuous, yet functional.
I would hate to see it fatigue due to induced vibration.

What is wrong with the carb? they are a simple design and most all times
when cleaned and returned to functionality, they perform as intended, surpassing aftermarket replacements by a long shot.
If it is a Carter, they don't make junk, they been around since early 1900's
Old 11-19-2021, 03:56 PM

Default 102 Carb issue

It’s pretty embarrassing but I managed to ruin it. I was pretty upset about it because my goal is to take good care of the machine and I even told the PO I would. It was a hard lesson learned. I was attempting to do a carburetor kit and had it all apart except for one piece. I had only done cleaning on 2 cycle carbs before so I did a lot of research and watched some videos but I knew this would be a learning experience. I stripped out the brass screw head on the main jet and I wish I would have stopped there but I didn’t. I went for an easy out and thought I was doing OK but I ended up breaking the stem that the jet srews into. I think it’s called the emulsion tube.

F91FA0B1-FC98-4CCD-B3B2-F12E6B9A2EA9.jpg
Old 11-19-2021, 06:14 PM

A bit hard to tell, but to my eyes that looks more like a Chinese repop carb and not an original Carter 26. It's not hard to find an old Carter 26 on fleabay, though you will likely have to clean it thoroughly and put a rebuild kit in it.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:37 PM
Grand Member

Ha,LOL
BTDT, we all have aw shit moments sometimes, not the end of the world.
Next time:
A shorty screwdriver custom ground to fit snugly into the jet hole slot, lightly put in a vice so it cannot slip out of the slot, then turned with an adjustable end wrench ( crescent wrench) usually does the trick of unscrewing the jet without damaging the jet slot.
Search the net and/or put a "wanted ad" here on OCC for an oem carb as others mentioned.
FWIW: I have had ones that refused to come out because of corrosion.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:21 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
A bit hard to tell, but to my eyes that looks more like a Chinese repop carb and not an original Carter 26. It's not hard to find an old Carter 26 on fleabay, though you will likely have to clean it thoroughly and put a rebuild kit in it.

I agree. That looks way too clean to be 45 yrs old.
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 11-20-2021, 08:50 PM

Thanks guys, if I can’t get ahold of the repair guy early this week to look for a carb I’m just going to order one. I guess it doesn’t matter now but the PO said that it was the same carburetor that was on it when he bought it in 1970. I did clean the heck out of everything I could before my failed disassembly attempt. Regardless, I’m definitely ready to get back to a running and working 102. If I get a used Carter and run into the same problem would I be alright to leave the main jet alone and soak it in some cleaner for a day or two?
Old 11-22-2021, 12:06 PM

Sometimes warming it up some will help to get it " unstuck" the jet is brass , so the expansion rate is different than the aluminum it' threaded into. And a sharp tap with a steel punch on top may jar it loose.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:51 PM
Grand Member

Best to just leave that part intact and don't mess with it at all.
I never do and all the carbs I have installed kits in I have never had an issue w/leaving it in.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:18 PM
Grand Member

While I fully agree with the theory if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Sometimes that combination jet-emulsion tube does get plugged with various
"stuff" and needs cleaning, as the holes are very small, has been my findings.
And I do get that "pucker" factor when removing them.
Every carb has different situations.
It is a crap shoot for sure.