Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 12:39 PM
Grand Member

If you need machine work done take it to Pittsburgh machine. That's who does our cranks and the guy mows with an old Cub and is knowledgeable about these engines.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 07-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Grand Member

My advice, beyond what was already given, is to change the oirl and plug, as well as the battery. Then, see if it fires up. If it does, then enjoy it for a little bit before doing a restoration. Get to know the machine first. See if the gears shift well and the clutch works like you want. In other words, make sure that it is mechanically sound before doing a restoration, like you stated.

Many guys say "restoration", but there are different degrees of what that really is. I am going on the assumption that you mean it is a cosmetic restoration, but after you said you wanted to pull the engine, perhaps I am mistaken. Nonetheless, I would still check to make sure things were mechanically sound first before I tore into anything.

Cub Cadet 123
Old 07-13-2018, 11:06 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Cadet 123 View Post
My advice, beyond what was already given, is to change the oirl and plug, as well as the battery. Then, see if it fires up. If it does, then enjoy it for a little bit before doing a restoration. Get to know the machine first. See if the gears shift well and the clutch works like you want. In other words, make sure that it is mechanically sound before doing a restoration, like you stated.

Many guys say "restoration", but there are different degrees of what that really is. I am going on the assumption that you mean it is a cosmetic restoration, but after you said you wanted to pull the engine, perhaps I am mistaken. Nonetheless, I would still check to make sure things were mechanically sound first before I tore into anything.

Cub Cadet 123

How would you know if the engine needs to be rebuilt, if you've not seen/heard it run? Try and get it going, what will you be out?
Seen it SO many times, someone takes them apart, not knowing what they are doing, and next ride it takes is to the scrap yard.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad126 View Post
What do you mean by new cylinder?
I meant Piston, Sorry!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post

How would you know if the engine needs to be rebuilt, if you've not seen/heard it run? Try and get it going, what will you be out?
Seen it SO many times, someone takes them apart, not knowing what they are doing, and next ride it takes is to the scrap yard.
Thank you, Past turning the motor by hand, I haven't messed with it.

I guess by restoration I meant getting it back to original equipment.

Right now, There is a fabbed up battery holder where the creeper drive would be if it had one, an AMP meter on a steel plate where the battery should be, an aftermarket choke, and what looks like someones attempt at a kill switch wired into the thing.

If the motor runs well and doesn't smoke too much I may wait awhile for that part, but Id like to make sure I can get it to run, and then start taking the stuff that was added to it at some point back off.

Got it home and int he garage this weekend, I have to catch up on a few other projects before I'll get much time to play with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180714_083036.jpg (24.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 07-16-2018, 08:11 AM
Grand Member

Welcome!

Man, those are some colorful wheels . Nobody told the PO not to drink and rattle can.

You're on the right track to get it back to the way it was supposed to be wiring wise, before going forward. I am working thru a 122 that had similar "improvements" made over the years. Runs fine now, but there was some real hackery that led to the wiring harness melting down for the previous owner.

There's some great wiring diagrams to download here. They're really simple and you should be able to go thru them in an hour to verify and fix.
Grounds are important on these things so clean those while you're in there.

I've got a smokey Original that has been smoking since I got it 5 yrs ago. It's the most reliable cub I own and oil is cheap. Perhaps I'll fix it in due time but since it ALWAYS starts I'm in no hurry.

I'm convinced more vehicles are killed by "restoration" than any other means!

Welcome and thanks for the pictures. We like pictures.
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 07-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Grand Member

Yeah, fabbed up battery box. Ya gotta love it!!
Like everyone knows you gotta have a big car sized battery to turn one of these little Kohlers over!!
Congrats on the 'O'!!
Curious as to the serial number, maybe you got lucky w/a 4 digit 'O'.
It should be found stamped into the trans case on the lift handle side of the unit.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsruskw View Post
Yeah, fabbed up battery box. Ya gotta love it!!
Like everyone knows you gotta have a big car sized battery to turn one of these little Kohlers over!!
Congrats on the 'O'!!
Curious as to the serial number, maybe you got lucky w/a 4 digit 'O'.
It should be found stamped into the trans case on the lift handle side of the unit.
I don't have the Serial Number at work with me, but I believe its 45xxx.

Its fabbed out of rebar and a long machine screw lol...

I hope to pick up a new plug and some oil today!