Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Smile Deck height range ?

Hello: I have a cub cadet model 2166 with a 42" deck. I have the Kohler 16 hp single cylinder engine. My issue is that i dont have much cutting range on my deck. When the deck handle it in the highest cutting position (6), i only have about 3 1/2 inches of height from the blade tip to the hard concrete. I have leveled the deck, and this is all the clearance i have now. I would think that there is an adjustment for that which would be maybe 6 inches when the handle reads "6". I cannot find an adjustment for this. Any advice or information is very much appreciated!

Danny Wolfe
Old 06-19-2018, 12:15 AM
Banned

3.5". Yep.... that's probably about all you are going to get. Why would you need it higher?
The numbers are just numbers. They aren't in reference to how high in inches the cut is.

When my grass gets 3.5" it needs cut.
But..... it's usually much taller when I get around to it.

On another note: Check the tire pressure in the rear. Also, does it have the OEM tires on it? Sometimes people replace them with a different brand and they are shorter. But.... no, Cub Cadet's aren't really known for their decks to raise very high. 3.5" might be a bit low, but without some pics we would all be guessing as to what the issue is. Pictures speak 1000 words.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 AM

There is some adjustment at the front hanger which will compensate for normal wear.

The lift handle on these can bend which will reduce the range, I had to straighten mine and do some minor welding to get full lift range. You may be able to see if yours is bent by just looking, but will likely have to remove the fender to tell for sure and to make repairs if needed.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:16 PM

Exclamation

i checked air pressure when i got it out of the Cub Cadet dealer where they supposedly leveled the deck, and it was on 22 in front and 20 in the rear. I immediately put it as the book states: 14 and 10. I then re leveled the deck...NOW its even lower. When deck is set to the number FIVE. i am scalping in places and the grass is very short. IDK what is wrong. I have had the fender off and inspected the deck handle, the deck hangers, and the front hanger, and all appears to not be bent anywhere...I'm at a loss. This 2166 is my third 2000 series mower (2135, 2146, and this 2166) and NONE of them have had this issue...i have NO range for cutting higher grass...any ideas? My grass is tifton hybrid bermuda that i have had for many years and i have always cut it on the "number 4" on the mower. NOW, in order to not scalp it, ihave to raise the deck as high as it will go, which is at about THREE INCHES. ANY IDEAS????
Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 PM
Banned

Well Danny, we can't see your tractor from here, so you need to take some pictures of it. Specifically the deck hangers. Take several. Get pics of it all the way up, and all the way down. Get it from several angles. Post them up on here. Maybe we can see what is going on. Hard to diagnose something like this if we can't see it.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:48 AM

Thanks Jonathan: I have it all back together now but i will try to get some photos on Saturday....i really appreciate the help from this site....NOBODY HERE KNOWS MUCH about this mower. IN FACT, most say its just an old worn out mower...well it is in great condition...i just need it to cut grass right...lol THANKS AGAIN!
Old 06-23-2018, 01:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Wolfe View Post
Thanks Jonathan: I have it all back together now but i will try to get some photos on Saturday....i really appreciate the help from this site....NOBODY HERE KNOWS MUCH about this mower. IN FACT, most say its just an old worn out mower...well it is in great condition...i just need it to cut grass right...lol THANKS AGAIN!
OLD?? It isn't half as old as most of the ones we all use. Not may 2000 series owners on here, lol. Most all of us own and run mowers made before 1990. A vast majority own and use tractors made before 1980. Your 2166 isn't old.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:39 AM

Make sure that your front deck hanger is assembled properly like the picture.

Look for wear at the shoulder bolts (41), grooving in the actual hanger bail (43) and excessive wear on the bracket on the deck itself.

I measured the angle of the bend in the bail for another member here, came up with ~160 degrees as best as I could measure; This part can and does get bent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deck hanger.JPG (28.6 KB, 178 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 02:38 AM

When you lift the deck up to 6 it is not snagging on something hanging down
I have had 2x2000 series and both cut a lot higher than 3.5 inches or 87mm on level 6 more like 5 inches or 112.5mm
You mention levelling the deck front to back and side to side ???
Does the deck have the correct blades on it ??
As all the lads suggest a photo will assist
Oz
Old 07-05-2018, 12:17 PM

yes, it has been leveled side to side first, and then front to back....it does not cut smooth...i have checked the blades and they meet as they should....tip to tip...there is maybe 1/8" difference side to side in the center of the deck (inside). I still cannot get any more than 3.5 inches. Im wondering if i were to put an adjustment arm on the opposite side to help Raise it, and then the other side as well...mine has ONLY ONE deck adjustment arm...the LEFT side just floats....and of course i have the front deck hanger.....i am going to try to get pics as i have been asked to do...im startin to wonder if i have a bent deck shell....yes, i have correct blades, and my other two 2000 series mowers had a lot more range than this one! Thanks for any other suggestions!!! PLEASE HELP.... can someone tell me step by step how to upload photos to show on this post? THANKS!!!