Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 12:47 PM

I purchased a garden tractor and loader together a couple of years ago for $1500. I think I got a good deal and I have had to do a couple of things to it, but not really a big deal.

I think you will lucky to find that deal, probably you should figure around $2500 and it may take you awhile to find it.

I think everybody that thinks they suck are expecting them to be like a skid steer loader. They are not, but what they can do, is pick something up out of your back yard and go through the gate and put it in the back of your truck. All while not leaving 6" tracks through the yard.

They can dig somewhat, but when I needed to take out a retaining wall, I used a tiller to break up the ground, then the loader to remove the dirt. Can you do it a whole bunch faster with a skid steer? Damn right, but price buying one or renting one.

I use it like a second pair of hands. I have a bad back, so I pick things up and move them with it. Best $1500 ever spent!!!!!

Here is a pic of me moving a large tree limb, no way I could done that by hand.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0216 (1).jpg (45.7 KB, 118 views)
1 73
1 2182
Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM

IHCubcadet147.. I got a question for you are you looking to pursue a career as a machinist, welder, engineer or similar? If so then I think a small loader project is a great way to gain some real practical experience with various systems and building techniques..yes it can cost a little money but you dont have to do it all at once either. Figure your goals out for the project, read up all you can on it, as you learn more about the various aspects then read up more on those individually. Aquire and build as you can. Dont be discouraged..honestly I wish some had given me more of that advice when I was your age.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Grand Member

quote:
Everybody has a first time working with hydraulics. You can learn. A loader project would teach you a lot.

Lesson #1
A hydraulic pump, when charged & turning, ALWAYS has to have SOMEWHERE for the oil to GO as it is ALWAYS pumping the oil and the oil WILL ALWAYS go somewhere.

Lesson #2
Lesson #1 is a very E$PEN$IVE lesson to learn IF learned the hard way!! Not to mention dangerous.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
Leaving all the other chatter behind,

I think you'll need a separate hydraulic pump. The charge pump on the hydrostat will make for a very sluggish loader.

Most will require some mods, but I think you can find someone to help you make them if you really want to do that. Don't let that discourage you.

Everybody has a first time working with hydraulics. You can learn. A loader project would teach you a lot.

Finally, it would certainly be simpler to find a tractor/loader already complete. But you would not learn as much and it would cost more. On the other hand, if you have no help to install one you might struggle. You'd learn a lot, but it might get frustrating, so it depends on your dedication. If you REALLY want one, then installing one you buy could be a great learning experience.

I have a loader on a kubota SCUT and it's very handy. But it's kinda a different animal than you are considering. Loaders for Cub Cadets are kinda collector items so they are expensive. If you want a CC with a loader it may cost more than another brand SCUT with a loader. And, due to size, less capable. But perhaps more fun!!

Good luck in your search!
Thanks for the good info. I was looking at kubotas, but most of them are way too much money. I shouldn't have trouble getting help putting it together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
If you can find a loader you can afford in good condition, grab it! Your 147 is a good machine for a loader, but if it's your go to machine for mowing and tilling, you would be better off using another machine to permanently mount the loader (a wide frame with 12hp or higher in IMHO). By the time you dial your machine in with fluid filed ag tires, wheel weights, a weight box and sometimes chains (I also had to extend my wheels out a couple of inches on each side to clear the push arms for my particular loader), makes it a pain switching back and forth. I totally agree with Sawdustdad for the hydraulics set up if at all possible, also because if by chance you want to put the loader on a gear drive, your ready to go with a self contained hyd. system. Of all my cub attachments, the loader has been by far my favorite.
If I build one, I will probably use my 149, or buy something else. I don't want to use my 147.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Littrell View Post
I purchased a garden tractor and loader together a couple of years ago for $1500. I think I got a good deal and I have had to do a couple of things to it, but not really a big deal.

I think you will lucky to find that deal, probably you should figure around $2500 and it may take you awhile to find it.

I think everybody that thinks they suck are expecting them to be like a skid steer loader. They are not, but what they can do, is pick something up out of your back yard and go through the gate and put it in the back of your truck. All while not leaving 6" tracks through the yard.

They can dig somewhat, but when I needed to take out a retaining wall, I used a tiller to break up the ground, then the loader to remove the dirt. Can you do it a whole bunch faster with a skid steer? Damn right, but price buying one or renting one.

I use it like a second pair of hands. I have a bad back, so I pick things up and move them with it. Best $1500 ever spent!!!!!

Here is a pic of me moving a large tree limb, no way I could done that by hand.

Randy
There was a Wheel Horse GT14 for sale with a loader near me, I think it was about $1500, but I'm pretty sure it was sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallenjr View Post
IHCubcadet147.. I got a question for you are you looking to pursue a career as a machinist, welder, engineer or similar? If so then I think a small loader project is a great way to gain some real practical experience with various systems and building techniques..yes it can cost a little money but you dont have to do it all at once either. Figure your goals out for the project, read up all you can on it, as you learn more about the various aspects then read up more on those individually. Aquire and build as you can. Dont be discouraged..honestly I wish some had given me more of that advice when I was your age.
My dad owns a body shop. I'm going to work with him. I have been reading some older threads on here about loaders.
38" LT mower deck, 4 42" triangle mower decks, 2 44A mower decks, 2 50C mower decks, 42” GT deck, 3 42" snow/dirt blades, 42" landscape rake, #4 cart
Old 04-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsruskw View Post
quote:

Lesson #1
A hydraulic pump, when charged & turning, ALWAYS has to have SOMEWHERE for the oil to GO as it is ALWAYS pumping the oil and the oil WILL ALWAYS go somewhere.

Lesson #2
Lesson #1 is a very E$PEN$IVE lesson to learn IF learned the hard way!! Not to mention dangerous.
Good advice. Thanks
38" LT mower deck, 4 42" triangle mower decks, 2 44A mower decks, 2 50C mower decks, 42” GT deck, 3 42" snow/dirt blades, 42" landscape rake, #4 cart
Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 PM
Grand Member

If you're not in a big hurry, you can find one "affordable" . There's was or is one on one of the FB cub forums and it seems to me it was about $1500.

If you want it, go for it! It'll be a fun experience and if you buy sensibly you'll get your money back out of it when and if you're ready to move on.

Here's to ya!
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvy View Post
Something to consider. Mr. Plans has done the homework for us.

https://www.cadplans.com
Another option;

http://www.pf-engineering.com/
Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
I understand wanting to know about things...... but if you aren't actively looking.....

My first question is why do you "need" a loader? What are you going to do with it? How are you, at 16, going to pay for a loader?...
Ohh lil’ Jonathan... never got a hug from his father....poor lil guy.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 PM
Grand Member

Sorry Sawdustdad, but I disagree on running a FEL off of the hydraulics of the tractor. My Workhorse loader came with a NOS pump and it is still NOS. I have the loader ran off of my hydraulics on my tractor and It raises, lowers, dumps, everything just as fast as I want it to without hesitation. Mine is on a 149. The only downfall from running it off of the hydraulics of the tractor is that I had to disable the entire hydraulic lift feature of the tractor, but that is no longer necessary since it is a dedicated tractor with the FEL. It can be done and done well, if the hydraulics are shimmed up. Mine is set to lift about 400+ lbs.. The one thing that I have not done yet, but would certainly recommend that you do is to make sure that your front spindles are 1" instead of the 3/4". Also, avoid lifting 500 lbs. out of concern for breaking the front axle. I got my loader as a great deal, but most people want $1200 just for the loader. You might be able to find a home made one for slightly less or you may stumble on a really good deal on one if luck comes your way!!!

Well, forget the "cool" factor of them. They are meant for work and you will need to understand how that will affect your turning radius and center of gravity of your tractor in order to safely operate it. No one here wants you to get hurt, so think about how you will use it first and if nothing comes to mind, then you might reconsider your notion for a while. A lot of farmers like them for cleaning out stalls, due to their smaller size.

Well, lots of luck on your search!

Cub Cadet 123
Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHscout79 View Post
Ohh lil’ Jonathan... never got a hug from his father....poor lil guy.
Come on Justin. That's not we are about here....Let's keep it relevant to helping out one of our newest members.

Cub Cadet 123