Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Grand Member

Great pics, Chris! Can't wait to see the finished product.

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 12-01-2011, 05:05 PM

yes to answer a question mine is a 36 inch thrower. i know when i re did mine i went with many links from here for parts and such. the roller chain was easiest to get from tractor supply but it comes in a like 10 foot box so you can buy that and have spare or buy pre cut from a supplier. the bearings and holders are not greasable and can be found on e-pay but after i got mine i swear tractor supply has some that look like they would work and for half the price.
the universal for the adjustment arm go to McMaster Carr, you just drill and pin the rod and every comes apart and goes together for storage.
now for the hardware i went stainless because it would be wet and possible exposure to salt and a rusting bolt makes the best paint look like crap

the guard for the drive shaft was rusted on thin i wanted to replace it and i just so happened to have a bent piece of 3/16 stainless here but i buffed and wire brushed it and it left to many impurities so right now it is the only rusty thing on it, i just need to pull it and coat it in acid to draw out the impurities

if it were mine and i were to do it all over againthe only thing i would do different would be checking for the bearing at TSC, stainless bolts and shake proff nuts and washers added like 40-50 bucks but well worth it, oh and do not skimp on the paint. i want with decent auto paint so it would hold up and i only needed it like 5 times last year but it still held up well.http://www.mcmaster.com/#
http://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx
http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search?...rchButton.y=11
Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Grand Member

Clay,
I thought I had the adjusted left hand bolt out, "but" broke the remainf bolt off inside the adjuster. May drop it at my local machine shop to see if they can clean up the left hand thread. ( I drilled out the major portion of the bolt.)
Have found left handed rod from McMaster Carr.
Anyone know why this belt tension-er adjustment screw has to be left hand thread?
I was on the floor trying to clean the u-joints and came face to face with a solid cast pulley that is a direct replacement for the one I broke Nice find. and I cant remember what it came off of?
bsyphrit,
I just got my list of fasteners together. I may go with stainless? I like the look but it is really soft and galls real easy. Will see if the budget allows.
Paint: I am going lower cost (maybe) using rattle cans of Rustoleum. I know the Cub police may not like it! I just don't have a spray booth set up right now. And my parts are ready, a few each day. It will look OK for me.

I see you have skids on the runner plates did you add them? I was thinking of adding 5/16 plate 1.5 wide and about 6 inches long with the ends bent up a little. Then MIG weld them on? Thought it might keep me out of the stones a little more. Does yours ride up on packed snow?

The body of the snow thrower is in the tank. One half of it is under water. Just thought of this. I need to add 5 gallons of water to bring the level up above the mid point. I will be right back Ok that was easy. Water line now above the mid point of the chute. Will let that cook till tomorrow night.
Did more cleaning and painting of parts tonight.

I think I will look at tractor supply for the bearings. I agree that it would be a good idea to replace these! I think they are typical farm implement type bearing that I have seen on things like hay elevators. Grease fittings would be ideal in these too!
How did you guys clean the u joints and adjuster bracket? Any magic there? Mine are a greasy, yucky mess!
No pictures tonight sorry. Maybe some by the weekend. Sorry I get a little wordy!
Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM

the original "skids" for these are just like 1/4 inch mild steel and that is it, i had some heavy scrap here so i cut and heated it to fit like a small ski and keep it up just a bit so the cutting edge on the bottom will not dig so deep as to pick up gravel.
i know that paint can get pricey but i have found if you go the rattle can route you will be further ahead and get 1 quart of IH white and some hardner from TSC and it will cost 1/2 of the cans in the end and give you a smoother stronger, i am doing my 48 deck rebuild and had a second deck as a spare and 1 quart was enough to do both decks. i guarentee it would have taken at least 10 rattle cans at like 6-7 bucks a can. your choice in the end, just kickin in my
1 quart paint 13 bucks+ 8oz hardner 15 bucks= 30 bucks
rattle cans 5.50 a can x ?= less for more.
http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search?...one=16&cnt=300
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Grand Member

bsyphrit,
I now have skis on the snow thrower height adjustment feet. They are just 1/4 or 5/16 in steel plates, cut bent and welded in place. Maybe the skis will help? Weld did not come out as good as I would like. The HF MIG just did not preform well tonight. They wont fall off but doesn't look to pretty. Picture included in primer.
The paint is going to stay for now. May regret it, but I learn the hard way
I did take the left hand threaded pivot knob to the machine shop and should have it back by Monday with the thread re-newed.
I went to Lowe's and the TSC tonight and did not find the hardware I was looking for So I will look on line at McMaster Carr.
Some pictures of the body of the snow thrower in the tank. I have done both ends once for 6 plus hours each. I took it out wire brushed most of the big chunks off and put it back in over night. Will flip again tomorrow. Was a little disappointed that it did not work very well on the interior. I know this is line of sight process but with 6 anodes I thought that several would be looking at it.
Some picture of some of the parts hanging in the basement.
I had to re-sand the lower portion of the chute. I had some serious sags
I was able to bead blast the aluminum gear assembly for turning the chute. I also found some stainless tubing that may work nice for a turning handle.
I need a picture of the handle to use as a design guide and also the approx length from the "u" joint.
The picture of the leading edge is not very clear but what I did was to remove it and straighten it as best I could then grind down the leading edged to about the same dimension all along. Then I will clean paint and re-install with the new leading edge in the front, Was in the back. Just another detail. You guys know all about that.
I did measure the sticker it was 8-5/8 long and about 5/8 wide with the international word in bold black font on a white background.
Picture of the pulley I will be using.
Will hunt in the morning!

Regards,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1090.jpg (11.7 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1091.jpg (24.6 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1092.jpg (28.9 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1093.jpg (9.6 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1094.jpg (26.5 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1095.jpg (22.1 KB, 380 views)

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 PM

the u joint is over all 2 7/8 long.http://www.mcmaster.com/#universal-joints/=f71836
part number 6445k3

the rod you need is 3/8 diameter
i also included pic of a stock rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (83.4 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (24.6 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (17.1 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg sno1 001.jpg (23.6 KB, 380 views)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Grand Member

bsyphrit,
Thanks for the info! I have to get on McMaster Carr web site and look for some other items too. I think I can make a handle that will be a close match. Great pictures!
-Just ordered the two bearings for the ends of the rotor, these will have grease fittings too. Also ordered the two needle bearings for the small sprocket shaft getting these from KAMAN.
- cleaned and removed the u joints for painting.
- Bead blasted the aluminum gear box.
- have the body of the thrower about 60% in primer.
-Had to weld up some rust holes and added a coat of body filler to cover some rough areas in the thrower body.
- I did complete the electrolysis on the rotor tonight. Its out and drying off.
I will try to get some pictures loaded in the next day or so.
Busy with venison right now and the work thing. I'm whipped
Regards,
Chris

Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Grand Member

Man cuttin up venison can take up some time EH Chris. LOL
And also I did some more digging on Binder Books site and found the "INTERNATOINAL" label for the end of the thrower, (mine measured 1/2inch by 8inch) just wanted to tell ya. And can't wait till you have more pics.
1961-PTE-"O", needs lots of work.
2072-Repowered with a ch18, Woods tractor.
149 with my Dad. 44" deck and QA36A.
#9-70 with weights and sleeve hitch.
#10-149 with a 38inch deck.
2015 Kubota BX 2670.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Grand Member

Eric,
We do take a lot of extra effort and pride in processing our venison ourselves. Eric came over last night and tonight and we have 25 packs of burger, 6 lb of Kielbasi, and 9 lb of shooter jerky ready for the cooking process tomorrow night.

Here are some shots of the progress on the snow thrower. Thanks for the patience. Time seems to fly this time of the year.

-I have several small parts to run through the rust tank yet, but the big stuff is on its way to completion.
- I did get the aluminum bracket bead blasted the the small bearings go in.
- Picked up $64 of bearings today.
- Still need to get the new chain and all the hardware.
- lots of cleaning priming and painting.
- need to fab a handle to turn the chute too!

But looks like it may be completed over Christmas holiday, if I get moving .

Regards,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1101.jpg (29.8 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1102.jpg (27.3 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1103.jpg (24.1 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1104.jpg (12.2 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1105.jpg (28.9 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1106.jpg (22.9 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1107.jpg (13.3 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1108.jpg (13.7 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1109.jpg (17.7 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1110.jpg (19.2 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1111.jpg (11.0 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1112.jpg (28.8 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1113.jpg (25.9 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1114.jpg (27.6 KB, 338 views)

Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Grand Member

Looking real good, Chris!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator